1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metho Stoves

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by Barry, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Thinking of getting away for the gas cylinder and going methylated spirits for the stove.
    I just have a thing about the single use type gas cylinders. mate has one and it is just too much wastage for me.

I have heard good things about the Origo 3000 dual burner - but cant find them anywhere.

I have found one on the Reimo site
    https://shop.reimo.com.au/camping-s...rills/alcohol-stove-spirit-stove-origo-stove/

and one on Bonetti Camping
    https://www.bonetticampers.com.au/accessories/can-fn2001-gel-alcohol-burner-stove/

The Reimo ones say 1kW per burner where as the Bonetti say 2kW per burner.
    Yes - Burnetti is twice the price.

I am thinking of getting 2 singles as I doubt you would get a fry pan and a camp cooker on a dual burner

Any recommendations or comments?

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

The Reimo seems to be a storage tank where as the Bonetti is a 100mL cup?

Guessing you can turn the Reimo off as the Bonetti is like the old Trangia type and you need to snuff it out?
    back to trying to pour in only how much metho you need

3. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Barry, talk to Gerry & Robyn they have a 2 burner Orrigo and reckon its pretty good .

4. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

I've got the Origo 3000, each burner stores about 1 litre of metho in the canisters. We were really impressed with how well it works, heats up the pans pretty quickly and no need to store lots of butane cartridges.

The dual burner is good for a frypan and a saucepan, needs extra ventilation if used inside the campervan as the metho does have a slight smell. There is a little cover / pad for the canisters to stop evaporation / smell when not in use.

When we spoke to the campervan place a year ago they said that it seems to have been discounted hence why you are having trouble finding one.

Barry and oldman like this.
  5. Whitie

Whitie Well-Known Member

Metho stoves are great, used older styles on yachts for years, but only if you start them correctly.
    Key is to prime the burner to create a vacuum before turning fuel knob on.
    Light a teaspoon of metho around the surround tray to create the vacuum, turn the burner knob on just as the flame is just about to extinguish & you'll get a lovely burning flame.
    Ive seen the unknowing try to light metho's as per a gas stove resulting with 1 ft high flames, big oops.
    New designs may have over come the pre-priming process.

tintop likes this.
  6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

8. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

Barry likes this.
  9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Stefano Bonetti got back to me.......

didn’t realise he is Qld based. Does Land Cruiser modifications.

Hello Barry
    Thank you for your mail and questions.
    The cookers we supply are in my opinion easier to handle and more powerful as the Origo we used previously.
    This is because it has a jet, which centralises the flame better and it's less affected by wind.
    it's a full stainless steel construction, fits in most drawers.
    The burner can be removed and stored in a little food container under the cooker, so the alcohol will not be wasted and no smell made.
    The flame is regulated similar to the Origo., when you close the opening, the flame will extinguish.
    Please don't hesitate to call me if you have further questions
    Kind regards
    Stefano

I’m probably going to get a single off them and see how it goes. I would rather 2 x singles rather than a double as better for large frypans and camp ovens.
    Probably need a folding wind shield but that would be easy to knock up

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I hope you are sharing these posts with the family............ subtle birthday present hints. ;)

Barry likes this.
  11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Jackson Leisure replied that they no longer stock Dometic Origo and don’t know anyone that does.

Looks like it’s Bonetti

12. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Watching with interest......
    Cheers,
    Mark

Barry likes this.
  13. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

The Origo has some sort of absorbent pad with a steel mesh above it, I just use a gas stove lighter and light it normally. Super easy to use, except when you forget to remove the sealing pads and wonder why it won't light...

14. njg02

njg02 Active Member

Origo's aren't made anymore I believe. And I hear they are not going to be doing metho for much longer either. Too many people like to drink it, hence the purple colour now.
    Great stove though. We have a double on our boat. If you come across one, grab it.

15. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

If metho is taken off the market, it won’t be a problem. Find someone who distills their own alcohol. The fore’s are discarded, usually the first 100-150 mls. I have over 20l stored, lots of uses, burns well.

16. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

Had a metho stove on my boat - don't know the brand but the flame was small and insipid.
    Took forever to boil a kettle.
    Switched to the disposable gas cylenders - much better.

17. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

There are some good readings if one wants to look for them. Also look for emissions and performance ratings for the various fuels.

18. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Ummm.... that is methanol not ethanol that boils off first. Pure "metho" is actually ethanol and the alcohol part of alcoholic drinks. In the early days the govt decided that methanol had to be added to the ethanol to make it poisonous and a bittering agent added to make it unpalatable. It was the methanol that gave it the name metho and the cause of blindness for those who drank it.
    Be real careful putting methanol in a metho stove that was designed to run on ethanol, if it get hot enough to boil the methanol (that boils at a lower temperature than ethanol) the ball of flame will be near invisible, just the things that it is burning can be seen as a flame.

The throw away gas cans are butane and butane needs to be above 5*C to boil off the liquid, that is why they go out in cod weather yet still have half a can left in it. If you put the cans in hot water the gas pressure will return and you can use the rest of the gas in the can.
    Propane refill cyls boil off the gas @ .32*C, that is why they work so much better in the cold, the gas just doesn't burn as hot.
    For those who use direct feed propane stoves without a regulator, always use these type propane stoves above the height of the top of the bottle or the gas can return to a liquid in the hose resulting in a very big fireball, the ratio of liquid to gas is 270 times the volume ... a big fire ball. Always turn the gas off at the bottle first for the same reason, the gas will return to the liquid state in the hose because of the pressure build up and the hose getting colder, so letting the gas burn off in the stove until the pressure drops away is the safest method of shutting one down.
    Metho is a bit like petrol when the weather gets hot, it boils off as vapour and is very flammable yet heavy, so it sinks into low spots just waiting for the chance to be ignited.
    What about the old Kero stove https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3533314...jgjVF8gAHQlKczRNtQCvq29sz_2AvOVEaAkvrEALw_wcB
    or if you can find one, the old pump up pressure kero stove, now that is really getting back to camping old style :lol: They could burn real hot yet be set right down to barely a simmer for slow cooking ... I'm sure showing my age now eh :lol: Still remember grandad with his brightly polished brass stove, it came out every holidays when we went fishing ..... and the ice box in the holiday cabins was just that, a block of ice went in the top and made puddles every where as it melted :lol:

T1 Terry

grumble, njg02 and oldman like this.
  19. Maxa1967

Maxa1967 Member

I’ve never had a problem burning the fore’s, been using it in my fish smoker for 20+ years. With my current still the first 150mls tests out at between 94-96% alcohol @20c .

oldman likes this.
  20. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

They are all alcohols, hundreds of them, but only ethanol is safe to drink and has the higher boiling point of the alcohols distilled from grain and potatoes. Wood alcohol is mostly methanol with a bit of ethanol mixed in, fermenting produces just about all ethanol, but the pomace (the remains from grape, apple and olive juice extraction) mixed with the lees from the fermentation process boiled up in a still make great race fuel ... but I doubt I'd try drinking it or burning it in the open. As a display test as to the difference between metho burning and methanol burning, in an open area, pour some of each into a small container like a metal screw on cap from a jam jar. Roll a piece of paper into a wick, soak it in the fluid and leave half hanging over the side of the lid. Light them both and stand back .... watch the colour of the flame once the paper wick is burn away and how fast the liquid disappears .... if you need to put the fire out, use a bucket of sand you prepared earlier, the fireball from methanol and water mixed is something you don't want to experience close up.

T1 Terry

EDIT: Just a foot note, nitromethane that is used in the Top Fuel dragsters is also an alcohol, do not even think about trying the burn test with that stuff .....