1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metho Stoves

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by Barry, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

I use one of these, works in the cold and brilliant for a quick cupper.
    3000003654.jpg

Grantus and Luckyphil like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Wattie
    Do you use lighter fluid or ULP91?

3. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Barry,

I use Diggers Shellite (1 lt bottles) from Bunnings, lasts for ages. I also decant from the plastic container into a 1 lt metal screw top tin for transporting.

Stove will also throttle down to simmer, a folding style windguard is useful at times.

By the time you have finished your meal/ cupper the stove is cool enough to stow away. Do not open fill cap until stove is cold. :eek:

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

so.......the single burner turned up yesterday.

Today was a good day for doing f’kall so I got the metho, my gas Coleman bbq and my old Trangia and set them up on the back veranda.

The test was an open 1 litre of water.

The Coleman did it in 5 minutes easy.

The Binetti took about 10 minutes but never really boiled away. Was ok with a lid on.

The Trangia took about 8 minutes and it did boil away.

Whilst the Binetti has good control it needs to be going for a couple of minutes first to get the centre “jet” working.
    You also can’t shut the flame off. Only turn down. You have to open it and smother the flame with something. There are 3 nuts that old the “throttle” plate and this holds it about 5mm off the flame pot.
    You would also only get an hour out of a fill on low. Will need some practice for my slow cooked brisket stew that is my camp favourite.

As for the Trangia - it’s just difficult. It is really only high or low. And you need to make your mind up first. It is quite difficult to flip the regulator thing when burning.
    It is also quite unstable - where as the Binetti is good. The Binetti would work well with a camp oven.
    you also can’t turn it off and it is difficult to smother as to the close location of the breather holes.

so....... what to do.
    Next camp I will be leaving the Coleman and 9Kg gas bottle home. It just takes up too much room and I don’t like travelling with the gas bottle.
    I will stay with just one Binetti - at the $250 mark it isn’t brilliant value.
    But I will also be taking the Trangia with me. Whilst difficult and limited it is brilliant for the billy - and that is a lot of what we do.
    it has a small reservoir so it just burns away.
    Will also be reviewing my brisket stew to a chuck steak or chicken thigh fillet or something.

oldman, Grantus and Luckyphil like this.
  5. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

My Mum & Dad used one of those little Primus stoves in our caravan back in the 1950-60's for cooking when we camped as there was no power or other people where Dad loved to fish, he also used one for melting the lead for his sinkers and tailor spinners up until the late 1980's. I still have a couple one of which I have for sale on Gumtree. Dad used to run it on kerosene with no problems, i haven't had it going since he stopped making the spinners.

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Ok - so when we went to Tharwa I didn’t take the gas stove. Just the Binetti and my old Trangia.
    Have to say I am not happy with the Binetti.
    Where as the Trangia burns better with wind the Binetti falls away.
    Really struggled to get a frypan of bacon and eggs for 3 men going in the morning.
    A big design fail is you can’t turn it off like claimed.
    The Trangia is the same but Binetti claims you “just” slide the leaver to the right and it goes out. It doesn’t. It keeps burning under the slider.
    You have to open it and smother it with a towel.

I will keep it as a “back up” but as a main stove - no.
    Their picture of a decent sized snapper on a dual burn - no chance.

Think I will resort to 4.5kg gas cylinders

oldman likes this.
  7. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Barry, I've been using a butane stove for ages and am happy with it. When they were recalled a while back, I went back to a gas stove and a couple of small gas bottles but didn't find it easy/convenient. So when they sorted the problems with the butane stoves the Kombi and the Sprinter both got new ones. I just came back from a week away and used 4 canisters (cheap at BigW). Patrick

stove table.jpg

Whitie and Barry like this.