1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod for Mefro Rims or similar 15/16" steel to take original chrome Hub Caps

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by HOMEWORK, Nov 16, 2018.

1. HOMEWORK

HOMEWORK New Member

Hi KC,

I really like the look of the original wheels and hub caps on my T3, however the ride quality from the 14" wheels are sub-par and I am struggling to find an all terrain tires in this size.

Are there any 15 or 16" rims that are compatible with the original T3 chrome hub caps?

If not is it possible to mod Mefro rims to accept the hub caps? Are photos available from people who have done this mod?

Many thanks in advance

2. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

I cannot speak from personal experience but I did read a similar question somewhere else and a suggestion was to drill and rivet in the hubcap retaining clips from wide-5 stud wheels at the spacing that would allow you to fit hubcaps.

The wide-5 wheels are from early beetles, split screen vans, and early bay window vans.

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I had some 14" converted to 15" many years ago. Unfortunately they are not compatible with bigger brakes.

4. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

6. HOMEWORK

HOMEWORK New Member

I'm leaning towards installing hub clips on Mefro 15's.

My issue at the moment is no one sells Mefros in melbourne and I cant have a look prior to purchase.

Big request but worth asking - Does anyone here have a Mefro 15" rim and spare hub cap lying around that they can hold up against the rim and take a photo?

Many thanks in advance