1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modified 14" to 15" stock wheels with original hub caps and trimming

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by HOMEWORK, Jul 3, 2019.

1. HOMEWORK

HOMEWORK New Member

Hi KC,

I am considering modifying my original 14" wheels to 15" so I can have the original look for a 15" rim.

Has anyone done this before? Are you able to post a photo of a modified original rim to 15" with the stock hub cap and trimming? Please state your ET.

I have currently fitted Mercedes 202 wheels in 15" with ET31 and General Grabber AT3 225/70/15. With the hub caps fitted to this wheel and the chrome trimming it is not the look I am after. The car handles and drives so much better than I expected.

Many thanks

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    oldman likes this.
  3. t3 Ed

t3 Ed Member

Pretty sure Neway wheel repairs can still do them. Did mine about 20 years ago. Went well for about 10 years but started cracking under the pressure of off roading. I had 15x6 et 30. This was for a Syncro but fit my 2wd no problems. Hope this helps, cheers, Ed.

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

14x5.5ET39 ___ 14x6ET30 _ 15x6ET30 (modified) _ 15x6ET44 (T4)

upload_2019-7-4_6-45-53.png

14x6 syncro _____________ 15x6 modified from 14x6 syncro wheel

I modified 14x6 syncro wheels as they are 1mm thicker than the 14x5.5 wheels. You can easily pick a 6" wheel by the round centre hole.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Syncro27 likes this.
  5. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Close Barry! But they're not in Yarra Glen, they're in Yarra Junction. They seem like good people and love their VW's. :)
    https://www.facebook.com/tingodsolutions/

6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

@syncro Did T3 syncro go back to round centered wheels,as the bay's T2 when the stud pattern changed to 5x112 was also round and in 73 they went to the clover shape center

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Just the 6" wheels. The 5.5" wheels were the same from the early 70s until '92 including syncros.