1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moonlight - 77 camper

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Gabriella, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

We recently found a couple of Kombi's in a scrapyard. One of them is Moonlights, it's a very rusty 1977 camper with a 79 engine, and a buggered head. Its been raining a lot which has been limitting our efforts, but we plan to get it to a point where we can drive it up to Canberra on day rego before the holidays end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have started work on the pillars which were very bad.

[​IMG]

Kieran's welding:

[​IMG]

2. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Hey Bria! :)

Look at that - you've now got two Kombis in your signature. You're officially a multi-Kombi owner. :p

And looks like you and K will have a bit of fun getting Moonlights up to speed. You know the rules - keep us updated with heaps of pics.

Julian.

3. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

They will keep multiplying, don't know what it is about an old Kombi but they have to be saved......well done hope she's home with you soon....................Lorraine

4. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

The left hand pillar is finished now and I have welded up the right hand one today and now just have to grind the built up weld back to the right profile and finish it up. Bria did a sweet job of welding new metal into the cargo floor where it had rusted through on the drivers side, a bloody good effort given she picked up a welder for the first time yesterday... Damn I'm proud of her! :cool: I put a couple of plates in under the drivers side stp and in front of it where there were some pretty big holes and this is now also finished and painted.

We took the poptop off tonight and were delighted to find a littlte bit of metal left to weld too.... nice! :D Anyway.... more picsa when we gett to Cqanberra!

Cheers!
    KierAN

5. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

hate welding underneath, allways end up with 3rd degree burns!:mad:

6. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

We're back in Canberra so I got some time to load more pics.

We had holes like this pretty much in both sides. We plated one side and welded the other.

[​IMG]

This was the otherside before we poked all the rust out, it ended up being quite holey.

[​IMG]

The floor had some large holes on the inside, I think the leaking flipper windows were somewhat at fault, as well as wonky ground. There was a big one in the middle edge.

[​IMG]

There was also a thin spot infront of the wheel arch with quite a few little holes in it.

[​IMG]

7. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

We welded up another hole in the corner, and put a plate over the large hole.

[​IMG]

We filled in all the holes on the left front.

[​IMG]

Also, filled up the hole in pillar with weld stuff.

[​IMG]

We then decided to get the poptop off, which is not as easy as it would first seem. It is very, very heavy, and awkward, and quite difficult to pry off. Finally we got it off to uncover the rust underneath.

[​IMG]

8. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

Some more roof rust.

[​IMG]

More icky rust.

[​IMG]

We then cut out strips from Kieran's spare parts blue bus for the roof and welded them on over the treated rust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once that was welded up we managed to get the poptop on, which again is not all the easy.

After that we attempted to put another head on the engine just to drive it up to Canberra, but the engine was in pieces and stuff and to get it all going would take more time than we have before I have to go back to CIT so we had to leave Moonlight in Nowra till the next set of holidays. Which is dissapointing, but its not very long away at all.

9. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

gotta give you a 10 for effort, that is a lot of work.

10. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

Good on you two. Great effort. Are you using a gasless mig?
    Dean

11. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

Yeah we had been. It gave us so much hassle though, which slowed down the entire process, but it did the job.

12. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Yeh the b**tard kept jamming in the tip until it finally just stopped feeding... so we got a couple of new tips and all was good until it just stopped feeding at random. after a lot of swearing and searchin for advice I remembered that this particular welder for whatever reason won't actually feed with the wire feed speed set below 2 and somebody had bumped it down to below 1. :eek:

Then don't get me startd on Cigweld who seem to hav a monopoly on gasless mig wire in Nowra and who's 0.45kg rolls of it look bigger than they are, cost twice as much as my last roll of non-Cigweld wire, and last half as long... gah!!! :mad:

13. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

Try 'nozzle dip' to keep the mig tip from slag build up.
    Also, check that you have the polarity correct for gas/gasless welding. But you may not have that option on a smaller unit..... Best of luck you 2.

Dean

14. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

Yeh it has reversible polarity and it is set correctly... I do excercise very little finess tho when welding so it could have just been the tip was too close to the flash. Might try some dip at some stage tho... thanks for the advice Deano. :cool:

CHeers!