1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mt. Glorious Picnic Bisbane 2nd March

Discussion in 'Queensland/Northern NSW' started by jae, Mar 2, 2008.

1. jae

jae New Member

Great day as usual guys. But did anyone else smell burning brakes on the way down?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jae

jae New Member

3. Baldwithabeard

Baldwithabeard Active Member

how fast was Kyra driving on the way out there today...? It's pretty hairy round those bends...
    Very pleasant spot...great views on the way up and down...thanks for organising it Kyra. My hoola hoop arm is now busted...

Jae...thank god you smelled that too...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Baldwithabeard

Baldwithabeard Active Member

lead foot !
    [​IMG]
    Ruby and Ellie head into the rainforest...
    [​IMG]

5. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Looks like you guys also had a great day thanks for the photos

Michelle

6. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

It was a fantastic day for a cruise/picnic/general chin-wag, wasn't it? As is fast becoming the norm for these gatherings, I had a great time catching up with everyone and just hanging out. I think I even managed to have a couple of conversations that weren't Kombi related! :p

At one point when Jae and I were moving Daisy down to where the other buses were parked, we were bailed up by an older couple who had nothing but admiration for our four-wheeled companions. The story goes that they bought a Kombi in London in the Seventies and did a five week tour of England in style. And at the end of which, sold it back in London onto someone else for that purpose. Lovely stuff! :)

And driving up and down the mountain wasn't as hairy as I thought it was going to be. We were lucky in the respect that we weren't rounded up by any bikes or WRXs in our travels - thankfully they were all going the other way. Although, there was that aforementioned sobering stench of brakes on the way down... :eek:

I spent too much time talking & eating and none snapping pics, so I've got nothing to share. Will have to let everyone else's paint the picture. Thank-you all for just a plain old nice day out. :cool:

Julian.

7. btc-er

btc-er Member

Everyone else could smell that too! :) I always find it slightly concerning when my brake pedal starts to get a lot more travel than I'm used to. At least there were mercifully fewer windy bits going down so we had no further car sickness problems.

We had a great time today. It was fun to hang out, have a chat and check out everyone's cars. Despite the car sickness, the kids had an ok time too.

When can we go again? Huh, huh, huh? :)

Here's some photos we took:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  8. btc-er

btc-er Member

9. chopper

chopper New Member

Thanks for the pics guys; it looked like it was a fantastic day with the weather pretty good too! Hopefully join in for the next kruize.

chopper

10. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Thanks for the great pics everyone,it was a beautiful looking day.
    So you all made it up the mountain i see....well done.
    How'd the 1600 go Baldy?
    I know last time i went up old Bess struggled in one or two really steep climbs.
    I was climbing in 2nd gear at one stage...but she did it :)

My weekend didnt run to plan at all.......Kat come down with a serious case of food poisoning (No,it wasnt my cooking)and we spent Saturday night at the Mater Hospital and all of today at home close to the bowl.

11. heartland

heartland New Member

Great photos - you guys always look like a fun time was had.

Steve, I'm sorry to hear about Kat - thank god it wasn't your cooking, wouldn't it be horrible to do that to someone you love, I hope she is feeling better soon.

12. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Leadfoot? Who? Me?? :D Jeez, I was worried that I was going too slow and that you'd be saying "for God's sake woman, just move it, will ya?". Kind of nice to pretend you're a rally driver in a Kombi though! :D

OK, so who belonged to the smelly brakes? I was freaking out the whole way down, but Reece assured me it was us, and was possibly someone who had been before us, and there was a slight bushfire smell as well.

I had a great day too. Am very glad that your Hoola Hoop arm is OK Greg, as Ruby will expect the same fun and frivolity next time she sees you. I just love that photo of her and Ellie - they looked so cute walking off into the rainforest together!

Promise that next time we pick somewhere that's nice and flat, so that a decent game of cricket or football can be had.

Thanks guys. :)

13. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Sorry to hear Kat was sick Steve. It's awful getting food poisoning. You'll be happy to know that Lola was stuck down into 2nd gear quite a lot yesterday. Didn't realise how really steep it is to get up there.

14. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Thanks Jane and Kyra,Kat is out of bed today and trying to eat a bit of dry toast so thats a good sign.She has dropped about 3 kilos and feeling pretty weak.We are off to the Docs now to get some test results.

It certainly is steep in sections,i recall smelling someones brakes when i was up there also.I noticed that the locals sure know the road and where the hairpins turns are and use the car gears more then its brakes.Haha good fun :)

15. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

One of Jonah's classmates lives at Mt Glorious and they go to Ashgrove each and every day. :eek:

Don't know that I'd be that keen to do it every day, but I guess once you know the road like the back of your hand, it just becomes second nature.

16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Bugger - forgot all about it - got to start using outlook calender but then the Mrs may just close ther reminder so I have to stay home :(.

Not unusual for the brakes to get a little warm and smlly descending as my 90 Caravelle did it a few years back when I had him - even had smoke coming out of the brakes but that was because I had painted the rear drums and disc calipers a few hours earlier :). Also know of other cars when the brakes got pretty warm also.

Great to see all had a g8 time and next meet - will someone please remind me :)

17. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Bert! You make your wife out to sound horrible. :) Send me your mobile via PM and I'll remind you for next time.

18. KahunaKombi

She's not really Kyra - just doesn't like outlook reminders but then that's not 100% true either as she kept our anniversary one popping up all day :)

19. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Clever woman! Would you have forgotten otherwise?

20. KahunaKombi

Nope - I was the one who set it up as she won't use Calendar in Outlook :)