1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multimedia Install

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Elsie 76, May 25, 2016.

1. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Well-Known Member

Hi KC Members. I am mid restoration and considering installing a multimedia hardware in my dash for all those little things like MP3, bluetooth, music, gps, phone and cameras. Has anyone done this previously? And or any recommendations? Thanks Craig.

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Craig, not sure what you mean exactly.....
    If you're talking about 12V power outlet/s, I've put in a twin outlet made for boats.
    Quality unit with rubber cover/insert to prevent dust etc. when not in use. Nice & discreet, bolts up under the dash/glovebox.
    I ran one outlet to a switched fuse........only runs when the ignition is on....I use that for GPS.
    ...and the second to a constant power fuse......will power at any time & not reliant on ignition on/bus running.....good for charging camera/'phone etc.
    Had it in place for a few years now & has never given an issue.
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. Elsie 76

Thanks Mark, I'm after a full multimedia touch screen like those used in modern vehicles today as standard equipment. Like reversing camera, music, phone connection and so on. I thought someone may have installed one previously. Ideally I'd like to have it as a pop up or fold out so it isn't visible when parked. I have found some after market VW ones which look interesting. Craig

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Craig, sorry mate.... I was just a little off course :rolleyes:
    I'm sure someone will chip in.
    Cheers,
    Mark

5. Elsie 76

No worries, I appreciate the feedback.

6. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

G'day Craig, I have installed a double din media player in my kombi, Pioneer from memory, but has DVD, reverse camera, blue tooth connectivity, iphone connectivity, but no navigation function, only because it is an older system that came from another vehicle.
    Already had s stuffed dash with hole in it so making the double din opening was not an issue, wasn't stuffing up a good dash.
    Had to install an amp and sub to get the sound acceptable, but is all good now.
    No issues apart from the wiring for the reverse camera to operate only when in reverse, but of messing around.
    Also the DVD is wired to work at all times not just when the car is stationary, again no big problem.

what would I change? Navigation would be good but the unit was free so can't argue with that, and wiring it in was a pain, apart from that, it is working well!

Steve

7. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

You can can single din head units with pull out and up screens if you want a smaller installation size.

8. Elsie 76

Thanks Steve, sounds pretty straight forward for an experienced auto electrician. Regards Craig

9. Elsie 76

Thanks Brad, yeah I don't need a 50 inch plasma,just something practical. Regards Craig.

10. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

I am an electrical numpty but still managed to get it to work, so would be easy for someone with skills.
    Steve

11. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

I cant remember the thread, but there is one on here or the FB Kombi club page where they installed a single din pop out, they just had to make a custom timber face as a spacer to hold the unit out from the dash a little, as the pop up screen hit the dash when it folded out without it.

12. chayle

chayle Active Member

When installing a head unit and amps and things like that is it good to get a bigger alternator or anything like that to run all the extra electrics?

13. nils

nils Well-Known Member

14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

"Invisible Multimedia Gremlin" ? :rolleyes:

15. chayle

chayle Active Member

That's what I was thinking...... Maybe no media just the noise of the motor

16. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I don't seem to be able to post photos from my new phone.

17. nils

nils Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Maybe this time.

Winner, winner!
    Not on a baywindow mind you, but we all have the privilege of having a steel dashboard, which leaves itself open for all kinds of outrageous modifications.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  18. chayle

chayle Active Member

That actually suits sitting there hey

19. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I think thats the trick, intergrating it so it looks like it should/could/would have been there from the factory.

chayle likes this.