1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 72 is getting a new heart and shoes

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Voltwagen, May 23, 2019.

1. Voltwagen

Voltwagen Member

My 72 is going to be getting a new heart, bye bye to the 1600, hello to a 2L type 4.

To be honest, the 1600 isn't actually that bad, but I use the van for a lot of road trips and just want a little more grunt and reliability, so I'm getting a type 4 2L rebuilt.

The engine will be basically original spec apart from a cam, better carbs and distributor or even EFI but think that's out of my price range at the moment.

It will also be getting new shoes, I use the van mainly for road trips and plan to venture more onto red roads/beaches here in WA so I plan to move to ~28" rims, I'm thinking at the moment of using 215/75/15's on some Merc 15x6.5 et37 rims I have.

For the transmission I have a 5 rib sitting in storage, if I put this on with the the bigger wheels/tyres it should come out as approx the same gearing as a 6 rib box on standard sized tyres. My calculations were done on the standard tyre diameter being 26" and the new being 28", it would mean that at 100km/h it would be sitting between 3200 & 3300 rpm, the other option is converting the 3 rib box I have to fit(CE code) and using that, it would mean though that the rpm would be higher at 100kmp/h but not by that much really, it should still be under 3300 rpm, but I do know the 5 ribs are stronger.

I know a lot of people will be saying why not go for a subaru conversion, basically I don't want to, plus there is nobody I know of that does them to a high enough standard here in WA.

TeeBee and David H like this.
  2. Voltwagen

Voltwagen Member

I have picked up a fully complete CJ coded engine and am currently stripping it down before taking it to the engine guy, the 009 that it came with is already in the bin......

I've also picked up some 1.7 rockers and porsche swivel feet.

Barry likes this.
  3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

What are you doing with the 1600 engine?

4. Voltwagen

Voltwagen Member

Will keep it for a few months after the rebuild as a spare, then i'll sell it on with the gearbox I don't use in the van, that is unless I pick up a cheap double cab ute with no engine, if I do (I doubt it) i'll put it in that.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

6. Voltwagen

Voltwagen Member

I have looked at them but was thinking more of a Quaife

7. Voltwagen

Voltwagen Member

I forgot to say that i'll be ditching the heater boxes as I don't need heat, and if I did i'd rather have a small diesel heater that I could also use to heat the van whilst it is stopped. So i'll be going to 'J tubes' or whatever they are called on a type 4, not sure if i'll change the exhaust yet or keep the original for a while as I have 2 in storage and maybe upgrade in the future, i'm looking for ground clearance so will need to be careful with my choice.

I'm also considering an external oil cooler, it's a bit easier to add than on a type 1 engine.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Options..

Sandwich plate works well off oil filter for cooler.

Stock muffler works well for minor upgrades even tho it could be improved .
    A second tailpipe from lhs flows a bit more air and doesn't upset internals or balance.
    Match porting from J pipes or heater box plus muffler.

Heater boxes restricted on rear 2 pots plus uneven length on each side so I recon J pipes of equall length an improvement.
    Would ceramic coat to retain heat and reduce radiated heat near heads.
    Modify to retain bottom wind trays.
    Don't go bigger pipes.
    Check but think 1.3/8?
    Maintain the velocity with stock dia and ceramic coatings.

There's an old empi header with cast ends that was 4/1 in centre.
    Suitable for maybe increasing clearance?looking for photo.

9. Voltwagen

Voltwagen Member

My main reason for getting rid of the heater boxes was the uneven length, plus the fact I don't use them so might as well get rid of the weight.

I wasn't planning on going bigger pipes which is why I was thinking of keep the original exhaust for now, I've also got the heat shield that goes above it, though I might get a new one made.

I had made contact with CBB to see if they did a diy fit at home kit, but no answer yet, will give them a phone closer to when I would need it.

10. Voltwagen

Voltwagen Member

I've been thinking more about an external oil cooler, does the sandwich plate mean that the filter will be lower down? If it does i'll need to find another way as not too keen on that as want as much ground clearance as possible, i'm open to relocate the oil filter.

11. Voltwagen

Voltwagen Member

This is why you should never trust a 2nd hand engine that was ‘running when removed’, luckily I don’t and bought it at a reasonable price for the core, surprising enough the jugs seem absolutely fine!!

I was going to be putting the heads, jugs and pistons in the bin anyway.

1:
    2DFE7499-D09F-4031-A137-709467DC4938.jpeg E8960B99-599F-4CAE-A3D7-16968AE9BCFE.jpeg

2:
    011374DE-EBF9-44A7-93B8-C01CCACE4F01.jpeg

AD86554E-3E5B-4CB7-B0CB-00BFD516F88C.jpeg

3:
    FC43377C-7C20-4937-B8AB-0C8DD478823F.jpeg

63CC2CF1-2727-4CAF-8325-B3B05B90711C.jpeg

4:
    DFA2E904-3D51-483F-8222-901CEBA7B738.jpeg

0E6DF3D8-436B-4C36-8145-35A7DA6B2C3C.jpeg

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Won't be an issue.
    Plate only about 25-30mm.
    2 sizes in filter and the good one( can't recall brand) is about same level as engine mount bar even with plate installed.

Voltwagen likes this.
  13. Voltwagen

Voltwagen Member

Cheers, I noticed the filter that was on the engine was basically level with lowest point of the block

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

They may have forgotten to add that " running" meant 1 cyl.

TeeBee and Voltwagen like this.
  15. Voltwagen

Voltwagen Member

The new engine is nearly finished and run in, should hopefully pick it up this week.

On another subject I picked up the new shoes today 215/75/15 BFGoodrich on Merc rims

I’m just waiting on some new nuts before fitting them.

FC52A873-3E10-4085-8D87-520F04669320.jpeg

Syncro27, 68BUS, Barry and 1 other person like this.
  16. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

nice tyres...what the offset(ET) on those wheels? speaking of red dirt...my kombi was bought brand new by someone who drove it around australia. I can still find red dirt in it!

TeeBee likes this.
  17. Voltwagen

Voltwagen Member

18. Voltwagen

Voltwagen Member

Back from holiday, the nuts have arrived and the new shoes are on, they fit perfectly.

[​IMG]

Might look into getting some sort of small hub cap for the centres

paul77, Mr Beckstar, Syncro27 and 3 others like this.
  19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Interesting to see what gains they give.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  20. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Ride height;) & rolling drag:(.
    Be pretty awesome off road tho' for a 2wd drive:cool:.
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.