1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My '76 resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Happy_Camper, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Happy_Camper

Happy_Camper Active Member

So it all started in May this year when I saw a cheap kombi advertised located about 30mins away from me, being 19 I knew absolutely nothing about kombis, and when I say nothing I mean I knew there was a splitty, a lowlight and a highlight and that's all I knew.
    I know this is making a recepie for disaster but let's get into her story.
    The day I bought her
    Both of my picks from the never ending shed.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    All we knew was that she was a western QLD car. This was soon confirmed as when we got her home I scraped tens of kilos of red mud off the under body, this is what I believe saved her from that nasty stuff called rust.

2. Happy_Camper

Ahh yes there's always a negative with a inexperience buyer, so here is the engine situation. Someone had the imagination to create a 1600 automatic
    image.jpg
    After talking to some members on here, there was really no other option except to get rid of the old and put something new in. So out cam the 1600. Ahh but that's not all when the opportunity arose to get everything I needed to convert to manual for $1000 which would give me a 2ltr engine, I couldn't help my self and had to jump at it.
    Out with the Old.
    image.jpg
    The new will come later

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  3. Happy_Camper

Now to check out this body in the mean time.
    Striping the front and pillars
    image.jpg
    Very little bog and no rust in that front nose:D

image.jpg
    And those pillars, you gotta love the look of pure metal!

image.jpg
    The look of nice rust free floors, with the front ones just as nice.

4. Happy_Camper

Stripping her back to metal to see what 40 years has done to her. I must say im pretty impressed just a few little dings here and there
    image.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  5. Happy_Camper

And back to the engine bay. After six cans of degreaser, a pressure cleaner and a bit of paint she's starting to look a little better.
    image.jpg

A little while later with a bit of love to the engine and getting her in this is the final product.
    image.jpg

6. crazy

crazy Member

Looking tidy! 2ltr would make a heap of difference now to the old 1600. Keep up the good work!

7. Happy_Camper

Cheers, taking it slow and steady.

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

you started the way all of us have - knowing nothing but learning as you go.

Before you put the new engine in did you check out the fuel tank and fuel sender + seal and fuel vapour system connectors and fuel filler hoses to the tank? if not then would be a good idea to so you know it's been done and there's old perished and cracked fuel hose emitting a smell :mad:

Miss Rosie likes this.
  9. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Nice work there - I agree a 2L donk will make your travels much faster and less scary with trucks trying to run you off the road - as they do when they think you are going too slow.

Dont forget to fit and engine to tinware seal before you do any driving.

Should make a fantastic camper when you are done.

10. Happy_Camper

Yeah the 1600 auto was just craziness, so she'll be a lot more comfortable in our hilly area.
    Don't you worry I now have a garden shed dedicated to kombi parts, and that seal is certainly in there.
    Hoping she will, still not sure on what layout would be best.

I certainly am learning lot haha, I've defiantly caught the vdub bug.
    I did check some that appeared to be alright, but if I had my time again while the engine was out I would of replaced them all just to be safe, will replace anything I can do with engine in. So what's the list I need to buy?
    Well the T piece is stuffed that's for sure, and this might be dumb but shouldn't there be a third pipe going to it and where does it come from?
    Can you get original looking replacement ply stuff or not as you can see mines kinda destroyed.
    image.jpg

And one more question what does the accelerator spring connect to?
    image.jpg

11. Happy_Camper

Wired on some oversized leather seat covers. Let's hope these are satisfactory for a blue slip. Anything is better than terribly torn brown basket weave vinyl.
    image.jpg

12. Happy_Camper

Bit of a quick update. Body work is nearly all set for it's first lot of primer. Waiting on a starter motor to get the engine up and running. Other than that there have being no nasty surprises a very rare occurrence in the kombi world apparently.
    Can't wait to finish this one and move onto another one, yes I have officially caught the kombi disease.

13. Airfireman

Airfireman Active Member

Great work so far.. keep the pic's coming

14. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Well done, you have done a heck of a lot of good work. Great solid bus you have there.

15. Happy_Camper

So I decided to bite the bullet and tear the roof lining down to see how much rust is under the poptop.
    image.jpg
    I have to say I was very happy with the result! Just one little hole in the passenger rear and on the drivers side, well that was even better. Was such a relief to see so much metal and so little rust, the poptop will be removed to be painted, get new seals and so I can install the new canvas.
    Can't wait!

16. Happy_Camper

Oh yeah and also happy to announce she's now idling nicely, after a new starter motor, and a bit of fiddling.
    Slow and steady is the pace of this resto haha, started off a simple project but I've made the decision just to go all out and make her ready for another 40 years of camping.

17. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Good for you! I love a good resto story. :)

Cheers,
    Chrissy.

18. Happy_Camper

Anyone know where I can buy these materials so I can make my own cabinets?

image.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  19. Happy_Camper

My view for the last few days
    image.jpg

not the best fun cleaning 40 years worth of greasy, muddy muck but it's all worth it when there only metal underneath. No nasty surprises which is nice.

And also having fun removing the front windows. First one took me a while to get my head around and the second one took me about 15 minutes once I knew what I was doing. I found these instructions the best http://www.ratwell.com/technical/CabDoor.html

Attached Files:

ruby6689 likes this.
  20. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Ply looking material with the holes in it I don't think you can get - it's more like a Masonite or almost a multiple layer carboard texture - some similar thickness MDF may be the go - drill the holes and shape yourself :rolleyes: