Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Barry, Dec 8, 2019.
You should sleep better tonight then......
The old hinge covers looked like they do with some loving.
took them off and I’m surprised they are together. Very brittle in places.
Gave them a coat of paint with some sort of plastic bonding stuff first. if anything it has sealed them quite well so hopefully stop them failing.
I can't say that I have ever seen them before, are they factory supplied or after market.
your T2 doesn’t have them?
You can buy them new
must be a micro bus thing
they were one the bus when I bought it and look like they were there from new
My hinge covers look very much like your "before" shot. Could you tell me what the 'paint with the plastic bonding' is? I might have to try the same thing!
pity we are not in the same city
You only need a spray
thinking on doing the mirrors on the T3
They where a factory fitted with microbus as Barry has said
As Barry said..
They can get quite brittle.
I recon a brush over with epoxy resin might help?
Penetrol might also help.
You would have to use an enamel over penetrol.
( Not quick dry enamel or acrylic lacquer)
Done good with the belt relocation over the risers AND with the hinge covers ..... deserved the drink
One step forward one step back.
Did I ever tell you I hate T2 door cards?
One of the best advances Mr VW made was to have a cut out in the T3
So between some water getting in and the corner breaking off my new TMI door cards I decided to replace them with some ABS ones from Australian Door Cards. Trouble was they didn’t come in off white.
so I had left over plastic primer and some off white paint.
What I like is the “scrivet” plugs. So much easier for taking them on and off.
The holes are in a different place as they now line up with the door holes.
I have mounted the Deluxe air trunk on but didn’t worry about the vent thing.
I also bought some blank Masonite cards and had the TMI skin swapped over.
To be honest the TMI were pretty crappy. The Air trunk mounting holes were no where near the right spot.
So I have the “proper” cards put away and the “ruff & ready” ABS ones on for active service
Took my bay for its first big outing.
Went up to Valentine & Speers Point for the weekend.
Practice run for the long weekend coming when both vans are going to the Hunter Valley
Well, after @Buggergary showed me what he had done with his steering wheel it got me interested.
I ended up with some Q Bond as used by @melissa
This is what my wheel looked like
After Q Bond
As you can see, one of the cracks was substantial.
You form it up with masking take and sprinkle in the filler powder and then apply some drops of the super glue.
I found it was best to do it in layers so as the powder doesn’t fall out when you flip it over.
And the finished product after an application of plastic primer and some black acrylic
The underside I was too caring on but I reckon it’s a whole lot better than it was.
That's great! I am going to give this a go.
nice job The horn button got the better of me on mine and I painted that as well last week
So got around to putting the wheel back on.
Happy with how it all turned out.
Separate names with a comma.