1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First Kombi - let the adventure begin

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Beachhippie, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Beachhippie

Beachhippie New Member

So I’m about to purchase my first Kombi and could not be more excited, I've done my homework and last week booked her in with a very reputable VW mechanic (thanks for all your recommendations) had a few things sorted to ensure she is safe and sound for the drive home and he has assured me there are things to do but all in all she represents a solid purchase with a great engine. So I'm taking the leap and this coming weekend I will start the journey home with my new project.
    Due to distance i had one of my friends test drive her for me, he said she has great pick up, runs smooth and suprisingly quiet, he noted that he had some difficulty in shifting her back from 3rd to 2nd gear, something the current owner mentioned to me but something she just got used to and has had no issues with once she has a few hours behind the wheel. Just wondering is this something that can be easily dealt with by my mechanic once home or is it safe to just adapt to her quirks?

This was his main concern, a few other things (but i'm guessing with a kombi there always will be something to improve)

other things he noted that I would want to sort out once home are:
    - No temperature Gauge - drive her home with plenty of rest stops and get one fitted as a priority
    (we need to stop for coffee's and pics of the journey anyway)
    - Air vents in dash are not connected/functional (Cairns will call for this from time to time i feel)
    - The windscreen wipers are SUPER slow (it was s dry sunny day and hubby feels he could put a new wiper motor in place)
    - The dash wiring is temperamental with the wipers and horn cutting out if you try and use the lighter plug to charge your phone :)
    - one spot of rust concern palm size on back L panel which seller showed me. which we plan to try and deal with sooner than later (thanks for the tips with lanolin too)

All in all we are very pleased and excited to begin the adventure and work towards making this girl part of the family.

would love to hear any suggestions you may have for me before I get underway from the sunny coast back to Cairns

thanks in advance and looking forward to getting to know many of you through this forum.

paul77 and David H like this.
  2. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

yeah, you could check out the nylon bush at the front of the gear rod, the connector just in front of the gearbox and the reverse lockout plate straight under the gearstick...do you have a workshop manual (Bentley is good)...all very doable.

they didn't come with a temperature gauge - but I usually put one in - many don't

wiper linkages might need some lubrication

clean up all the wiring connections (including the earth wires), one at a time so they don't get mixed up - fuse box comes out with two screws - for a start I'd put a multimeter on the connections and see if you've got the same voltage as straight of the battery

exciting times!!!

Wayne murray and Beachhippie like this.
  3. Beachhippie

Beachhippie New Member

Hi Tintop
    thanks for the advice!! very much appreciated - let the good times roll

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

As tintop has suggested for gear stick , Ask if the gearbox has ever been rebuild. Also it could be general wear and tear as 2nd highly used and the selector is probably worn, not normally something to worry about and it is a quirk that you get used to. It can be something that will need looking at down the track.
    Wipers are as mentioned above:rolleyes: by tintop.
    Hope all goes well and you are driving your kombi with a smile wherever it takes you.

Beachhippie and David H like this.
  5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Beachhippie likes this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

There's a member taking empty car trailer up to Townsville 21st March if you wanted it transported

7. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

oh, and which vents aren't connected? some are heater and some are fresh air - I've probably got a full set of the plastic bits in the shed

if you do get an infra red thermometer...you want to be checking the bottom of the engine...that's the hot part - inside the engine compartment is the cool(er) part...that's why you need to make sure all the tinware and seals are in place - cool (ambient temperature) air from the top blows over the hot engine and out the bottom.

keep in mind that oil starts to break down at around 120 degrees

of my current Kombis, one runs at about 75 degrees above ambient temperature and another runs at about 85 degrees above ambient temperature out on the highway

previous Kombis that didn't have a gauge just did what they had to do with no problem ;)

David H likes this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

One at a time to fix your questions hippie!
    Yep. Talk to me about how. Take blade arms off. Remove circlip....pour in lubricant. Wipers are best with surfactant...to reduce load...rain be good.
    Earth wires as @tintop says. It's reeking of poor earths with that strange dash stuff;). Wipers also indicate poor earth.
    Or it's an ignition switch! Been a run of them of late:rolleyes:. Must be the age of these buses;)
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  9. David H

Either be some synchros being needy for replacement or somebody needing a more relaxed left hand;) & better timing. You'll get to know your bus Beachhippie so take some time when it comes home to you & relax your left hand & those gear changes. This will tell you what needs to be doneo_O.
    Cheers

Beachhippie likes this.
  10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

and learn to double shuffle.

If that helps it is the synchro’s.

Easy enough to drive that way and give yourself time to hatch a repair / rebuild strategy

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You will find that gear changes are a subtle choice of angle out of the current gear to neutral then go on neutral to the next gear.
    The precise angle is often different for each gear.
    Take it slow and it usually works.
    A small adjustment of base plate on floor often helps.
    Mark current position before loosening bolts slightly to tap it across.

Beachhippie likes this.
  12. David H

Yep;).
    Cheers

13. Beachhippie

Beachhippie New Member

Thanks David, I have a three day drive home so I’m sure I will get to know her well and truly by the time our first journey is done

14. Beachhippie

Beachhippie New Member

Double shuffle ??? Is this like double punching the clutch

15. Beachhippie

Beachhippie New Member

Is this what David means by double shuffle ?

16. Beachhippie

Beachhippie New Member

Just saw this post - my bestie and I already booked flights down - argghhhh. Ah well tbh I’m excited for a slow ride home

17. Beachhippie

Beachhippie New Member

I don’t think any of the dash air vents work, had my in the know kombi mate test her out for me and he said only airflow was the two from windows which doesn’t bother me but will want to address at some stage

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Couple of opening front quarter windows much more effective when travelling.
    But sorting front fed fresh air easy enough.
    Retro dash fan also more effective than vents.

Beachhippie likes this.
  19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Possibly.
    I took it as double clutch which is where one pauses in neutral and releases then reaplies clutch.

Just taking the change at speed and angles dictated by gearbox is usually sufficient.
    It becomes natural soon enough but sometimes trying a few very minor adjustments helps as well.
    A starting point if 2nd an issue is ensure the lower part of gearstick is vertical at 90 deg to floor when in second.
    Try cracking the floor plate bolts slightly and pull stick into second, ensure its engaged in gear ( should feel it even with engine off) , ensure plate pushed forward to meet gearstick.
    Tighten bolts and try it.
    No major changes in position of plate.
    Few mm at a time.

Beachhippie and tintop like this.
  20. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

along with the adjustments, linkages etc...you'll probably want to change all the fluids when you get it home...so for the gearbox, maybe a squeeze of Nulon G70 (smooth shift) along with some new GL4 gearbox oil

Beachhippie likes this.