1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my heater doesnt work

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Mr Percival, Jul 1, 2007.

1. i have 2 red levers and 2 green levers... i pull the red & green levers right down , air comes out but it isnt hot... any suggestions??

2. kombikid76

kombikid76 New Member

engine will need to have been running for a while...

Duno about lowlights but late bays only have one green + 2 red levers, not sure what the other green one does on your bus but on the late bays the green is fresh air and the red are heater levers. The one on the right turns the heater on, the one on the left directs the air to either feet or dash vents.

If you getting air it should get hot unless you've got the fresh air vent open in which case air isnt coming from the heater its coming in from the outside.

3. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

levers

are you sure that the right lever turns the heater on and the left directs it up or down to your feet. I thought it was the other way around?

4. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

Fumes

also, since I have connected my heater cables to the heater flap levers I have a very fumey smell in the cabin. How can I fix this, I have also just fitted a new engine seal but still smelly? Help?

5. Marty

Marty Active Member

I have the same problem with exhaust fumes coming through when the heater's on. I'm pretty sure the problem is rusty heaterboxes as exhaust runs through them to heat up air which is pushed through to the cabin. If they're rusted the exhaust can mix with the air going to the front.

6. 1975 Westfalia

1975 Westfalia Member

some further reading to help you along

Spot on, Wild One. If your heat exchanges are holier than thou, you shalt find you are just allowing nasty fumes into the cab. With heaters, everything has to be sealed where it should be sealed. If your heat exchanges don't fit snugly to your engine you will also not be able to get the clean heat you require. My heaters work brilliantly once the engine is warm with no smells, but it was due to some patient work by my husband, and the new muffler (old one had a little hole) he installed.

Try reading some of these threads for more info:

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=6372&highlight=heaters

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=6784&highlight=heaters

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=6245&highlight=heater cables

Good luck!

7. kombikid76

kombikid76 New Member

dont confuse smokey oil smell with exhaust fumes... smokey, burning oil smell can be fixed by cleaning your engine bay, blower fan, cooling fan, fan housing and heaterboxes... Alot of work but if your doing a rebuild its worthwhile for a fresh smelling heating system.

pretty sure about levers, there was a post not long ago... maybe try searching through previous posts (using inbuilt forum search tool)