1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my Kombi does not have a lighter???

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Mr Percival, Jun 19, 2007.

1. is my 1970 Lowlighter deluxe microbus supposed to have a lighter... i have looked through the manual and it makes no reference to a lighter??? is this strange? if not supposed to have a lighter, can i put one in?? as they come in handy to charge the mobile/camera/ipod.
    thanks

2. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

Our 72 non-deluxe doesn't have one either.... you can add one, but that usually means drilling into the dash....but they could be mounted elsewhere eg in the glovebox....I've seen some mounted just behind the front seats too.

3. Thanks. i thought perhaps it had been removed.

4. vwmad

vwmad New Member

My 71 deluxe has one dont know if it is original but looks good doesnt look out of place cheers shane.

5. Strange!!!!! can anyone explain why? the 1971 has one, whilst my 1970 and Alice in Kombiland 1972 does not.... just curious!!

6. Rhys

Rhys New Member

our 72 deluxe doesnt have one either....maybe there were more non-smokers around then!

not a hard job to wire one in wherever you want....post a question, someone will show the way

7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I think it was an extra that you could order in when ticking the specifications you wanted.

8. Jehd

Jehd New Member

they are one of the easist things in the world to wire up. I hid it under the dash. I only use it for power so it can be hidden.

9. Purple Martin

Purple Martin New Member

Use big-guage wire and an in-line fuse: those things draw a big current.

10. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

make sure you put a suitable fuse on it with appropriate sized wire, these things done wrong can lead to wiring faults and possible fires. Handy to have for charging mobiles etc, but remember that if you bypass the ignition you will have to remember to unplug any devices when you leave the car or flat batteries could be common place.

Our 1970 has one and the other two lowlights I've owned had them, never smelt like old smokers cars thou

11. freelancer

freelancer New Member

I am also about to install one. What is the best fuse to wire the lighter to? I was thinking I would wire it to the fuse box, then have another inline fuse as well. Does this sound like the best method?

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Just use the fuse in the fuse box. Inline fuses are only meant for low power equipment. Fire hazard.

13. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I have installed a dual socket in the camper mainly for charging phones, using laptop, iPods etc. I used heavy guage wire with soldered connectors, in line blade fuse of a high current rating and wired it directly to the battery (under drivers seat in the '82). The reason for soldering was that I originally was running a fridge off one socket and some say that it is better to solder than crimp. I wont get in to that argument as the different auto electricians that I had when I did my auto electrics training advocated both methods.

Proved an issue in the rough as the plug vibrated out. I now have the fridge connected directly to a blade style fuse in the same fuse panel as the lighter sockets. Solved the issue.

14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The problems are with inline fuseholders as they are only usually good for about 10 amps before they have a meltdown.

15. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

i have a dual lighter connection up in the back of our bus. we have had no probs with it thus far. its good when go for a drive down the beach, re plug in cooler and phone charge etc. we also have the normal one in the dash.

cheers brian

16. Jehd

Jehd New Member

This would only be a problem if you put a fuse larger than 10A in the fuse holder. The fuse is to prevent meltdown. I have an inline fuse on mine. I only run small things like a phone charger and in summer a fan. 10A = more than enough.

If ever you are unsure of the current carrying of your wire, use a smaller fuse. better for the fuse to blow than for the wire to melt.

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Spot on!:)