1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Kombi Ride

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by onetrackwonder, Sep 18, 2019.

1. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Well-Known Member

And what a ride it has been, started out at 18 buying a beautiful white 1970 VW Square back only to sell it 6 months later to buy my dream Kombi, I had just become a tradesman at 19 and the money was pouring in at $123 per week so it was only natural that a man started to climb the ladder, this was 1978 and the Kombi was a 1976 model Sopru, it was the best car I had ever seen, I saw it late one Sunday night in a Holden dealer in Parramatta, threw a sickie and went back first thing Monday morning to find that it had gone to a Datsun dealer in Hornsby so off I went and all of a sudden after a bit of bartering this beautiful beast would be mine, from memory I paid a grand sum of $7800, can't remember for sure but who cares, I travelled far and wide, visited every state in the country and here are some of the photos that I have just found, there are heaps more but I'm yet to find them due to packing my life in heaps of boxes to build our dream on the far south coast
    this is me on the beach North of Callala Bay NSW in my Adidas trackie, I don't remember what it was called but nobody ever went there so we camped there a lot, the head land was called Red Rock from memory
    [​IMG]

This is at North Narrabeen near the lake with my brothers Morris, he late once wiser would buy a 77 Bay
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have no idea where this is,
    [​IMG]

Also have no idea where this is, hey it was a long time ago
    [​IMG]

This is at Red Rock again, we used to go into the bush there and camp on the headland, one Sunday we had a heap of 4x4's roll in and the first thing they said was how did you guys get in we have been winching each other to get here, ha
    [​IMG]

I built a VW Buggy in the early days and we used to ski behind it on the beach next to Red Rock
    this was our camp and yes that was me
    https://imgur.com/9CjQC7x

This was a trip back from when I was working out near Cobar
    [​IMG]

and home to the parents at Merrylands NSW
    [​IMG]

This one was at the Lazy Daisy Caravan Ranch at Raleigh near Coffs Harbour
    [​IMG]

And I have no idea where this is, I did go onto Rainbow Beach and Tin Can Bay but not sure
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the large photo content but to be continued, cheers Greg

Surfing72, KahunaKombi, cbus and 6 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Great pics and story

3. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

I want the Morrie!

4. onetrackwonder

While owning the Flipper Blue beast I started to use a garage in Merrylands for the service of the beast, me being a young green bastard I didn't know a lot about the van, the bloke that I used had a clever German mechanic to look after blue, the bloke that owned the garage was a beautiful man by the name of Col Becker, most on here know Chris Becker hence the relationship, this Becker plot will continue later in my life, after owning the beauty for 5 years I decided to buy a house in Greystanes just up the road from one Mr Wayne Murray so she was unfortunately sold and as you could imagine it was a huge regret so while I developed the new house and drove a common ute I started to save once again for a Kombi, after 18 hard months Wombat arrived, a Riverina Orange Deluxe Sopru, between Kombi's I started racing Karts and with that the club that I joined was Combined Districts which had their track at Lithgow, and who was the president,one Mr Col Becker, hence the association begins with one Col, Chris and Russell, and a heap of other Beckers who are also lovely people, I then turned away from my surfing life and travelled the country racing karts, so here is Wombat, we used this bus as our accommodation all over the country, I owned this one for 23 years and once again sold it only to regret it once again, you would think that one would learn, no

For some reason I had the fridge unit out here, kids in the back
    [​IMG]

Kids in the back again and tired
    [​IMG]

This was crossing the Nullabor Plain again, young and of course cool, well I thought so at the time, ha
    [​IMG]

This is boarding the Spirit of Tasmania headed for the national titles
    [​IMG]

This is in Tassie, North of Launceston for the Karting titles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is up towards Gladstone again for the national karting titles
    [​IMG]

Yep thats me in the ink and navy stripe shirt heading to Lismore for another state title
    [​IMG]

And once again to be continued

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Keep it coming Greg:D. Love the story & how it weaves its way thru the members of this club. Wish I had more photos of my 40 years in a 76 2 ltr Sopru;). Had the same orange 76 Sopru from 79 to 89.
    Your chronicle did bring some moisture to my eye for the joy these vehicles have given to my life, my kids & lots of other families:cool: & obviously the members on this club:):):).
    Oh....& you were young once:p!
    Cheers

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    onetrackwonder likes this.
  6. onetrackwonder

Move forward to 2017 and we buy another 1976 Sopru Camper and this one will never be sold, it may be unregistered and not running at this moment but it won't be going anywhere, funny coincidence is that my first Flipper Blue beast came new from Tassie, the current Fipper rusty blue van we now own also was once a resident of Tassie before we bought it, in the mean time we have almost restored a 75 kombi, well done the hard work which was sold to a forum member due to moving and changing lifestyles, through all of the changes we have always owned a Kombi or Transporter or Fastback or Beetle, just lovers of the VW, cheers

The new lifestyle,
    [​IMG]

Old and newer VW's, both have a great arse
    [​IMG]

Toys old and new plus big go kart
    [​IMG]

Camping next to the big unit
    [​IMG]

Nambucca
    [​IMG]

Mallacoota
    [​IMG]

The current kids
    [​IMG]

Sorry but some of the earlier pics are photos of photos, it was the only way that I could get them up here, cheers

7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Yes but the one on the right has a slimmer bum;).
    Cheers & thanks for the posts:D.

8. onetrackwonder

So this very moment whilst trying to live and build our dream in the far south coast of NSW we have run out of money so I have had to head up to a sleepy little town of Woodhouselee for a few weeks which is near Goulburn to help a mates son complete a large construction project in Goulburn, upon arriving it was like 23 degrees, within a couple of days it was 1 degree and you couldn't even see the the Kombi Club sticker on the back of the transporter, but its happy days as we are living the dream, cheers Greg
    [​IMG]
    https://i.imgur.com/w1qeFlD.jpg[/img]'][​IMG]
    https://i.imgur.com/XGtYV6j.jpg[/img]'][​IMG]

And on the way to work and at work
    [​IMG]

TeeBee, Wayne murray, Grantus and 2 others like this.
  9. onetrackwonder

But Dave I like fat arse girls

10. onetrackwonder

The Morrie was a hand full it had a Mazda Rotary 13b engine in it, I remember my brother spinning it through the middle of Pitt Street Parramatta one night, ha

cbus and omelette81 like this.
  11. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Great photos and memories - thanks for sharing! :)

KahunaKombi likes this.
  12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Think there was Hillsdon Holden (was on the corner of the Great Western Highway & Church Street) and Suttons Holden (Church Street & Early or Lansdowne Street) :rolleyes: .... grew up on Northmead and parents 1st Holden was from Hillsdons.

13. onetrackwonder

Thats the one it was the one on the corner of the Great Western Highway and Church Street, cheers Greg

KahunaKombi likes this.
  14. Aspudis

Aspudis Well-Known Member

Loved reading your story Greg.

15. onetrackwonder

Thanks Nathan, it was rather embarrassing digging out those old photo's but its for the love of the beast hey, cheers Greg

David H and Aspudis like this.