1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my kombi story....by dan

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by kombi van dan, Dec 6, 2009.

1. kombi van dan

kombi van dan New Member

well i thought since i have the time,and i havnt done it alreay, i thought i might tell the story of how i got my 73 kombi...

i know how sweet it is to see pictures of everyone elses vws, but unfortunately i duno how to add pictures.... anyone help??

ever since i was first looking at getting a car, ive always wanted a kombi, i looked at lots,at the time i didnt really know that much about them (i still dont to be honest:( )

but all i knew is i wanted one.if i was going to be driving a car i wanted a kombi

2 years ago on gumtree i saw a 73 van advertised...its a 2L and had NO RUST!!!

at the time i had a 99 transporter, it lowered,carpeted all through and had beig stereo...but it was the kombi i wanted..

when i checked out this kombi it had primer in all the usual rust spots(around the doors and wheel arches) so i presumed it wasnt that bad..i took it for a drive with the fellow and it seemed to go great, i think that was my first time driving a bay window kombi, it was different,it wasnt as sluggish as i thought...i liked it,during the drive the guy was on the phone alot with like 3 different guys ringing him about the kombi..the last being a french guy that was at the train station with cash in hand wanting to buy it before inspecting it,

now i think about it,this fellow was using a very clever method in order to get me to make a deicision right now, i was with my parents at the time, i had a little bit of cah,but not all of it,my dad, who ownce ownded 76 pop top when i was like 6...he said "well out of all the heaps of crap we have seen, this one was the best" and they chipped in the rest for me..
    i was stoked i had one...
    it was organised to go home, transfer some cash,and meet in the middle at central staion for pick up.
    i traveled down to sydney the night before. stayed with a mate and we wnt to pick it up the next day,
    10an meet at the station...at 1030 i though i will give this guy a ring...appatrently his in traffice running late. be there in 15 mins

1130 i call again, still in traffic..

about half hour later after sitting under thr tree having a kip..i was kinda woken up by this bang...looking to the traffic lights i see my new kombi...backfiring and blowing a shit load of smoke...i hop in,its driving, but not the same as on the weekend when i drove it.
    i thought,ive paid for it,im sitting in it, its driving, lets get this thing back to the central coast.what ususally takes around 1half hours, took around 7 hours, engine stalling, not lidleing and all sorts...
    my first taste of kombi folk was when i was coming down the big dipper(a very steep hill,between syd and ccoast..going down hill it at nicely on 100, but going up it konked out halfway.after about 20 mins of waiting,trying to kick it over, waiting again.sitting in the back scratching our heads with now idea at all...this new range rover pulls over (p.s we were in a pretty bad spot, the trucks seemed to shoot past pretty quick).this guy jumps out of his 4wd and sticks his head in the engine bay..fiddles,try to start it, he explains he has an older bus..
    "no luck" he says u need a tow, and just buggers off back to his car... great...sitting there thinking how im going to sort this out...he pops back, with a tow rope in his arms,,and says...how are the brakes on this thing???
    he towed us all the way up the top of the hill and on through to the somersby exit where i could get some help.....what an awesome dude.
    sitting there calling nrma, my phone dies... cant call them.
    so i thing about my options,but then i try to start it again..it works, im putting along and pullinto a small side street to turn around and i hear some guy yell something out his window driving past...when i get in the side street it komks out again, then i see this yellow pop top camper coming up the road and pulls in beinh me, another dude jumps out of his car and shoves his head in the engine bay...he fiddles then gives it a try...nearly, he fiddles again then it kicks over... off we go, nearly home...made it off the free way i was about 5 mins from home and it starts to chocke....splutter and stop...stumped and this time i didnt think anyone more crew would be passing by on this road...i call my sister, she drops me some fuel..it starts, we get home at last... 7 hours later.

i wonder if i was driving a toyota, or a ford, anyone would of stopped to give me a hand..kombi folk are a rare breed of person...easy going..understanding and caring paople..u have to be to drive a vw.

i had it serviced cost a few hundread clams, but was running smooth..in the last 2 years i have owned it, i have resprayed it,had a L shaped seat and R &R bed put in..all up that cost me around 800 bucks and a few cases of beer... thanks to a few nice blokes..

when i moved to bondi i had it parked in the street and one day it had a card on the windscreen from channel 7. the arts director for home and away wasnted to use it in a few scenes at the caravan park..should be on in the first week back in january apparently..

but now its in having a top end engine rebuild after having ongoing troubles that i had to keep fixing...while it was up on the mechanics hoist i got to have a nice look underneath...its funny how when i bought it it had no rust, but now in only 2 years it has quite a bit...it was just giving a bodgy job to sell it, but it held out over time i guess..

so i had to think about how much i was going to spend to keep it,since i havnt spent to much ive decide its definanylt worth paying to have the enginne rebuilt and the rust cut out..if i got rid of it, i would just want another one.. and its up thekombi drivers to keep the other motorists smiling..

hahah

thats my story

Dan

2. mannmade

mannmade Member

great story Dan.... thanks for sharing! Makes me laugh because it sounds the exact same as mine!

3. Archeress

Archeress Guest

yes...nice and funny story...thanks for sharing that one..:)

4. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

:) Great to hear that you are going to keep your kombi and have it done up. It certainly tried your patience on that first drive.

I reckon we will all be watching Home and Away in January to get a look at it.

This story just reinforces our club motto 'I came for the kombi and stayed for the people'.

5. Dan_Ling85

Dan_Ling85 Member

I can see a few cross overs 2 my first coupple
    off months with my girl I just got my
    motor done and when u get it back u will
    love it!!!
    Can I ask how many days did home and away have
    it 4? Pay well??
    If u don't mind me asking...
    Dan

6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Dan,

Great story - but even with a kombi in the show I cant bring myself to watch that rubbish. I will get the boss to tape it then have your section cued up - watch that then run away.

Cheers,

7. vinny

vinny Active Member

hate that show, but woud watch to see your bus :)

8. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Great story Dan.
    I think a fair few of us have had trips like that in our kombis!
    Thanks for sharing.

9. kombi van dan

kombi van dan New Member

thye had it for 3 days, each a week apart..they paid me 300 each day.
    but unfortunately the day before the last filming session is when my van shit itself....
    since they needed it for the show, they towed it from bondi - lane cove and back to a mechanic in randwick...at their cost..they were vey helpful..

im not into the show but it will be nice to see my bus on it...

10. kombi van dan

kombi van dan New Member

11. kombi van dan

kombi van dan New Member

12. kombi van dan

kombi van dan New Member

i thought i should add a picture of my bus since i know everyone likes too see them...
    and i only just figured it out...

13. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Thats a great story Dan, too bad about the dodgy seller, still looks reasonable from the pics.

14. Mama Nalin

Mama Nalin New Member

Hmmm, dunno about home and away, but exciting that it's on the show and glad yr fixing her up. she is cute.

15. whoaNellie

whoaNellie New Member

That is a great story,and sooo cool about home and away! well i love the tv series so i will be looking out for your blue kombi! :) :)

16. kombi van dan

kombi van dan New Member