1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Kombidore

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by tillis, Jul 28, 2017.

1. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

Drove around the block all gears work and reversed into my driveway...so many things to check on...did i tighten this or that...will just keep doing longer little drives...have to get used to the different gear pattern...yes i'll change the gear knobs over but meantime i'll draw the shift pattern and stick it to the dash. have no initial impressions so far except relief!

David H, Syncro27, gazman and 2 others like this.
  2. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

some more little drives today getting used to it...getting the hang of the shift pattern and it looks just like i wanted...takes of easy in second with the V6 and 1st is very slow...excellent! the big test here has always been for me driving up mount tamborine...but heavy weather coming!

David H likes this.
  3. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

under the gearstick is the plate function of which is to avoid getting reverse unwantedly but of course this does not suit the 5 speed at all so i made my own plate but its vbeen a little notchy getting into third so removed about 2 mm across the back and now third and all the others are smooth as...heheh will get a pic next or if i take it out again!

Syncro27, Wayne murray and Barry like this.
  4. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

OK last problem...the front gearbox mount! I said before i'm using a subaru engine mount and it will be in three pieces...the angle iron bracket which will bolt to gearbox in four locations...the engine mount itself and then the cage to hold it which will bolt to the original bolt threads in centre of the torsion tube...

WP_20211109_001.jpg

and if you think that is hard to figure out you are not robinson Crusoe! but i'm getting there...last hurdle!

Syncro27 likes this.
  5. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Pay to check out this mob
    I copied and modified one of theirs for my conversion
    Tuff Mounts
    might be easier than what your doing

6. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

Thanks Rick but in spite of my bitching and moaning i'm loving it...will get this sorted in a day or two then hit the mountain tracks!

7. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

figured out fitting front gearbox mount...just undo the mid support and lower until brackets bolt up(after diconnecting shift mechanism of course it far too precious at this stage of the game) the bay gbox cant be lowered this WP_20211110_002.jpg way cos of the nose cone which pokes over torsion tube...fabricated housing for mounting...top bit bolts to middle of torsion tube on original holes...tidy it up and paint and it will all become obvious...

8. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

well the 094 is officially in the bay...gearstick is nice and central in the cabin and selects all gears nicely. The three mounts are complete and even tho the front g'box looks low it is no lower than anything else...time for test drives to begin!

WP_20211112_002.jpg

oldman, Barry and Wayne murray like this.
  9. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

Had a nice little tour of Hinterland with Karen...up Mystery drive which comes out halfway up Henry Roberts drive then down to the best pies at Canungra then back up Mt Tamborine via Cedar creek falls...the gearbox is a pleasure to use...forget 1st unless uphill starts and treat the rest like a nicely spread four speed...everything work smooth as silk and with the V6 effortless and smooth...planning a trip to Sundown nat park

Wattie, Wayne murray and rstucke like this.