1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new 74

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by prone, Jan 7, 2019.

1. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Hey Chrissy,

Thanks. Definitely looking forward to catching up for a few.

Say g’day to Paul from me and I hope that your family’s all well :)

Brendon

Ninga likes this.
  2. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

Nice purchase Prone. I’m green. Any colour that’s not “rust” colour is fine I reckon.

TeeBee, Poptop and prone like this.
  3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Hi oldman; all good, :) One allowed per year;) especially at this time of year,when the brain is on holidays.o_O
    Back to it with the 1/4 window @prone mentioned about putting back the 1/4 in the middle. There are a few options
    A) if putting 1/4 back in the middle you also need the 3/4 glass that goes with it and will it cause rust issues and why they may of been removed in the first place,they are the cause of rust there in the first place,unless you had originally louvered windows (name for them can't thing of it).
    B) Putting in Sliding windows instead in the middle
    C)taking out the rear windows on either side and put sliders in there instead and leaving the middle one piece. Down side JKA are the only ones that do a matching rear sliding pair and people have mentioned that they have had trouble fitting these windows. Whether it's caused by poor repair :eek::(from previous owner or whato_Odon't know.
    D)You can buy new 1/4 windows that you need to sit down when you see the price and how well they fit, I don't know and finding old original ones with no rust is a challenge within itself.
    I have remade my 1/4 for my double cab from scratch and cost a packet ,As you can buy know aluminium outer frame ,only issue with making 1/4 's is the rubber which nearly are all poorly made.
    If it was me I wouldn't put 1/4 in again . Instead go down the line like most people do and put sliders in,whether you do the middle or rear that would be up to you. In my Microbus I put in three original Brazilian sliders in fit well. You can't get the fourth slider in Brazilian,due to the fact in my opinion to do with the sliding door and safety ,just like 1/4 windows you normally have only three and the back left sliding door side (on RHD) is one piece glass. So you can't open the slider and smash into the opened 1/4 window, or can't have kids hanging arms out the window and the slider getting opened on them:eek:. Why Brazilian go safety :confused: confuses me.
    I guess you have a lot of other things to think about and getting it home first.
    all the best regards Wayne
    P.S nothing wrong with wattle colour at all I like it over the other greenie colour which people get mixed up with especially if they have been resprayed

David H likes this.
  4. prone

prone Well-Known Member

mmmm, you have me a bit worried Wayne.

Does anyone know where the paint code would be found on a 75?

Thanks

5. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

try behind the passenger seat

prone likes this.
  6. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Thanks tintop. It’s not there but I suppose it may have been removed at some point.

I think that it’s wattle though.

Cheers

7. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

well...suppose you could get some Wattle (CLR719) made up in a spray can and see how close it is - to be sure....may need to polish yours

prone likes this.
  8. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info Wayne. I’ll have to have a good think about what I’m going to do with the windows. One thing I know for sure is that It’ll need to have more airflow to the back.

I won’t be picking it up till the end of the month as I’m overseas. I’m just waiting for the seller to send me a pic of the original paint code but he’s having trouble finding it.

The outside has been re-sprayed around 5 years ago and the inside is still mostly original. I’m sure that it’s wattle but I’m still looking forward to seeing the paint code or at least getting it home to confirm.

Cheers

9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations Brendon ;) ..... looks a nice camper :cool:

Re the flipper windows and Wayne comment, here's a couple of pictures of Igor with flipper on both RHS windows and one on the sliding door on the LHS -

Igor -  (6).jpg

Igor -  (5).jpg

Syncro27 likes this.
  10. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Cheers Bert.

Igor looks like a very nice bus.

I don’t mind the look of the flippers and I like the idea of sticking with what was original.

The main thing that worries me from Wayne’s comments are the potential rust issues that fitting them may cause.

Thanks

11. GeorgiT2

GeorgiT2 Active Member

That is one nice classic looking Bay.

12. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

The flipper windows may cause rust issues, but keep in mind it was mostly on Kombi's pushing 20-30 years of age. Well maintained and garaged would not be so bad!
    I put 4 x 1/4 windows in mine (6 if you include the front doors). There is not one fitted behind the sliding door from the factory, but we found it helped with ventilation when camping. Have since fitted sliders in the middle windows, but they were not "factory" until '78 if you want to keep it original.

13. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Thanks

Thanks Andy. Once I get it home it will be garaged and out of the weather so as you’ve mentioned rust may not be such a big issue.

Cheers

14. prone

prone Well-Known Member

15. prone

prone Well-Known Member

16. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Couple more pics

oldman likes this.
  17. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

It’s a lovely looking bus Brendon! Does he/she have a name yet? It’s MAY on the number plate looking from a rear view mirror. :D

David H, MAP77 and prone like this.
  18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

It’s also a stodgy popular American vegetable, looking out the windscreen! o_O

prone and Ninga like this.
  19. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

:D
    Oh yes, but May is a much prettier name Grant!

prone likes this.
  20. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Hey Chrissy,

No name yet but I actually don’t mind both MAY or YAM :)

Cheers

Ninga likes this.