1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My T3 floaty feeling

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by SunnyJim, Nov 19, 2021.

1. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

I have had my T3 for 2 or 3 years now it was the first T3 I have driven.
    I guess I am comparing it to my 76 bay.

This T3 is stock height and it is a pretty smooth ride but one thing i don't like it the big floaty feeling.
    If I travel from an incline onto a level road I can really feel the front dip a bit. Seems more so in the front than the back.

I would like to improve this without creating a harsh ride.
    So far I have put new Bilstein B4s all around and changed steering rack bushes. I can't really say I noticed a big difference .
    So I assume it is the springs? But as this is the only T3 I have driven perhaps it is normal?

Or perhaps the 1989 springs are too soft? Does that really happen or a load of wank?
    I was thinking of a mild 2 inch lowering with new springs. Would that solve the problem?

I am treading carefully here, I don't want to repeat the debarcle I went thru on lowering my 76 bay, discovering too harsh a ride then returning it almost back up too stock height . Waste of moolah.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I think you needed the b6's

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Weird……. Just wondering if you have a dud shock?
    Is it leaking?
    Do you bottom out if you hit a pot hole?
    Definitely installed right? As in done up properly at the top. I have had an issue where it wasn’t.
    AAny other noises? Bangs or clunks?

Having had a stock bay for a couple of years now and having had various stock and lowered T3’s for the last 20 years I would not describe the drive as “floaty”

I am running 2” short B6’s with H&R springs and while it is definitely “firm” any harshness comes from the 17” low profile tyres.
    It is much more comfortable with stock.
    Sometimes form comes before function.

Best bang for buck handling setup I had was stock shocks with lowered stock springs.

oldman likes this.
  4. SunnyJim

Barry
    I think it is all installed ok. The situation is pretty much the same now with new B4 shocks as it was worth the old ones.

When I took out the old ones all of them still seemed to work, so they weren't really shagged. Might have to get Col to drive it for me one day and say if it is normal or irregular

I like what you say about stock shocks and lowering springs.
    It would be good if 2 inch lowering springs solved all this. HR? schwenk? Others?

Best not get ahead of myself I have wasted suspension money before;)

Syncro27 and oldman like this.
  5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Shocks were “pumped” before install ?
    Cheers,
    Mark

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

@SunnyJim

OK…… just thinking……….

if you open a front door and stand on the step and bounce………
    A soft spring and good shock should move a lot but come to rest quickly
    A good spring and a bad shock should be harder to bounce but take longer to settle

Do both sides and then compare to your bay

7. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Dont lower it as the ride will be great while you are on perfect black top but real harsh on the rough stuff and pot holes. I have tried every lowering spring available & pulled them all out and sold them on. However I now have Genuine VW factory Carat lowering springs which are only 25mm lower. Impossible to get in Australia, I got mine from USA where the Carat model was on sale in small numbers. They are great with the Koni shocks.
    Caravelle springs can get a little soft but the smooth floating ride is what VW were after. If you want performance handling you got the wrong car. Just enjoy the ride :)

8. SunnyJim

Mark

What do u mean pumped?

9. SunnyJim

Phil

Perhaps this is all in the eye of the beholder? Heard several people say the lowered ride is good and others like you say it is crap.

Is there anything similar to Carat springs?

Dapom likes this.
  10. oldman

I was advised that shocks should be “worked” or “pumped” a few times before bolting them in ( assuming you are using oil filled ?
    Working them gets any air that has settled with the oil in storage, out of the damper system.
    As shocks are transported and stored horizontally, it’s quite a common issue.
    Have a read about 1/2 way down the page……
    https://aftermarket.zf.com/go/en/sa...sorbers-and-dampers/changing-shock-absorbers/
    Air is easily compressed, fluids are not…….;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

SunnyJim likes this.
  11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

All shocks are oil filled.
    Bilsteins are gas pressurised so do not need to be pumped as they do not get air in them.
    All shocks are better stored vertically.

oldman and Wiz like this.
  12. SunnyJim

Ok this is good to know

oldman likes this.
  13. oldman

Indeed, something else I’ve learned today ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark