1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Myfanwy

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Doc, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I have bought a Kombi for Kombidaughter and unlike the last Kombi I bought for her I promised not to do too much work and overcapitilse her ......... Like the last one.
    So with that in mind I have organised a motor and gearbox and headliner and so on and so forth ........
    I took the dash off yesterday to do a bit of cleaning oh and rebuilt the steering colmn with new locks and switches ........
    But lets not get tooooo carried away I was just goung to tidy and clean behind the dash as Kombi's accumulate so much detritus over several life times of owners and it was a mess.
    After the dash was out I found this.
    [​IMG]
    And on closer inspection I found this.
    [​IMG]

I couldn't help myself ......I pushed on the lower drivers corner of the windscreen and it popped out ..... there was little to no lip on the lower sill.
    20 minutes later with angle grinder and wire brush in hand I found this.
    [​IMG]

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

And this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and this
    [​IMG]

My next question and I do have many.......

Would you use just an inner and a Sill repair from the Busttop or would you use a bigger portion of the front skin......

The rest of the skin looks good and I noticed that the larger repair skins are meant for the wipers to go to the oppposite direction .......how do you over come this?

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Looks like a kip resto 2 years on. If you put the wipers going from other side i think you need the wiper motor setup to match which could be donated from a bus of another year.
    Judging from photos Would do inner and outer. Obviously would check extent before buying parts but I know you are already well aquainted with that. Will have a look at a couple I have at home and see if any usefull donor parts.
    Seem to recall you did buy a mig,didnt you??
    cheers
    col

4. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

You couldnt help yourself now could you, looks like you didnt really have a choice on this one.
    Do you have a time frame that kombi daughter will need to be driving this by?

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Its just going to have new metal Mish and a rough paint. Bust rust is like cancer cant let it spread.
    Col I was hoping you were out there .......
    No Mig (yet) gonna try and kidnap a panel beater to get an opinion ...... those wrong directional wipers have me worried unless Roy has a workaround.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Havent done the wiper thing myself ,but Geoff did a window recently and said he had to get opposite direction wipers for some reason. Seems there may be a change of direction between years[maybe 74 as usual] as well as different on imported/aussie models.
    Should be second hand bits for either panels or mechanisms to change either way.
    Will get Alex to post info on migs. He took a couple of pricey units back as they were a pain in the arse. trade tools looked after him with a cheaper unit that he says works well .
    he's happy with it and they are around $480 or 600 for a better one . I intend to get one . And I dont tolerate toys that dont work properly.
    Will advise when able.
    Of course it may be cheaper to pay the beater to fit the parts when you get them
    cheers
    col

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

:) Legend :)

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Actually Tom or Roy probably can give a heads up on the wiper situation a bit quicker than I if necessary
    Watching Dust to glory at Bretts. Baja race. think we should have it at the christmas party after Aussie zoo. fun.
    cheers
    col

9. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

doesnt rust give you the s%$*&

10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Got a Saturday off and decided to put the central locking into Myfanwy. More Rust. The bottom of each door has been rusted out filled with bog and rusted out some more. So its back to the busstop.......now apart from the sills I have ordered I now wait for two new doors .........I know probably could be fixed but a side impact when my little girl is driving I'd like a bit of strength about her.

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Myfanwy's Transformation

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Looks great, Doc! :)

Where'd you get the seats done? Are the purple door cards painted or vinyl covered?

Baz

13. DancingDoonars

DancingDoonars Active Member

Lucky girl Doc! Very nice indeed. I like the different colours. It says "Fun"

14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The seats were by a previous owner
    The Cards are painted ....Colour scheme Kombidaughter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. DancingDoonars

DancingDoonars Active Member

Thats right . . .we're blokes. We don't know anything about colours hey?

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Yep 16 colours thats right; Y chromosomes restrict us to just 16 colours. I have stood beside this "fact" for years and I don't have to apologise then for my wardrobe or choice of clothes

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  17. gsa2at

gsa2at New Member

hey doc can you be my father too !!

NICE WORK and quick too!!:D

18. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow...I like it, great funky colours, well chosen Kombidaughter:D

19. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

I think you went a bit further then new metal and a rough paint job, that looks fantastic. Did you find a local that does panel and paint work?

20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Hi Mish
    The paint work was a bit of a saga. originally it was only going to be the white around the windows .....then we noticed where the masking tape was and some of the original decals were the paint was coming off ........It was a flat blue originally and apparently hadn't been mixed/hardened properly. So it turned into the white being touched up and the blue came off and so Meg decided to change the colour.
    Its a $3,500 paint job by a young spray painter just starting out.
    We are waiting on new front doors to come from Roy so I got the spray painter to just paint the old ones up temporarily. If you have a look at the photo of the drivers door you will notice that it is eaten out along the bottom.

Its not a great paint Job but it was meant to be a cheap car and it looks pretty good and I was very happy with the price.........
    Next step is to get the engine and gearbox into it
    I manage to get the 2litre bellhousing from Mickmotors and the lower transmission studs that are slightly longer in the two litre bellhousing I will make out of a metre of M10 high tensile threaded rod (got that from www.bolts.com.au found that site from your post on wheelcovers). Then hopefully just change the bellhousing marry the bellhousing to the crankcase drop the engine bung the new one and she'll be cruising!!!