1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National Park walks heading south coast from Sydney

Discussion in 'NSW' started by SJAN, Sep 3, 2012.

1. SJAN

SJAN Member

Hi, I am about to set off from Sydney over the next three months from Sydney down the coast towards South Australia, coming back towards Christmas. In the new year I will head down again, but inland through the mountains to SA, then over to Perth as we start to leave summer.

I have found a few parks along the NSW coast, but I am hoping others here who would have done this journey many times before will be able to suggest some good destinations. I plan to stay at each spot for about a week or longer.

Finally, will the Kombi be reasonably safe in NPs? whilst I am out hiking. Hoping that for most part people that visit these parks share similar interests.

So far,
    Booderee NP
    Murramarang NP (Pebbly beach)
    Mimosa Rocks NP
    Ben Boyd NP

Thank you.

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Pebbly beach is an awesome place - stayed there a lot over the years - can be very cold at times but well worth the effort. We've only ever stayed in the cabins.
    Brilliant walks both North & South along the coast - kangaroos on the beach & birdlife like you've never seen.....if you're a surfer, there's a couple of seriously magazine worthy reef breaks within walking distance.....enjoy. Cheers, Mark

3. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Sjan, S.A. Tourist Dept. have a publication that depicts all S.A. Parks and is a useful guide, probably the best. They will post out to you . Worth getting for your plans. No warrnties on safety of Kombi. I have never had issue but apocraphil tales abound. Generally, you would be very unlucky, but if leaving van for days on end consider alarm dummy on front dash...flashing red light with approp. sticker. John Doherty in Adelaide

4. SJAN

SJAN Member

Thanks for the replies. Pebbly Beach is incredible. I drove past there once, but did not spend any time there.

Thanks for the info on SA. I will checkout their website this evening. http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/home

Good to know that the Kombi should be ok. I have always found the Kombi is treated with enormous respect everywhere I go. But this time, all of my possessions will be in there and so it is a bit different. The fake alarm is a good idea, and I will also lock all of my valuable stuff in a lockbox. Solar panels are so cheap now that hopefully no one will bother with them once they are chained to the Kombi.

5. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Mate my Kombi and I frequent Booderee National park in Jervis Bay on the south coast of NSW a bit, never had an issue, awesome white sands, great bush walking, usually plenty of wildlife pretty descent amenities and its cheap too.

6. SJAN

SJAN Member