1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help from tech savvy KCers!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ninga, Dec 2, 2019 at 1:38 PM.

1. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

I know there are some very clever people in this club. I'm hoping someone can help me with some IT info because I'm such an amateur.
    I've recently been emailing a stencil design company, trying to get a stencil printed for our business at a size of around 400mm so we can spray paint the logo on different surfaces. They asked for a PDF file, which I had emailed to other companies previously for uniform logos and product labels etc and had never had an issue. This stencil company informs me; 'you have elements that are still images, not vectors and the text shift is most likely due to the fact that it hasn't been converted to outlines. We would also need to insert all the required tabs...' and wants to charge more to convert the file to vector. I questioned if I paid for this process would I get to keep the converted file for future personal use. The answer was no, that would cost double the amount.
    After that, I intend on looking elsewhere to have a stencil done. I'd imagine it would be a tricky logo to create a stencil from and would have to be adjusted slightly due to the unattached outline... (I'll attach a pic). One company has already told me my logo wasn't suitable for a stencil.
    If anyone can tell me a place they know of for stencil work or perhaps an online company that might convert the file (one to keep) at a reasonable price, I'd be truly grateful.
    Cheers,
    Chrissy.

Attached Files:

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Sounds like a con and I wouldn't want to deal with them .
    A metal place that does water jet or laser cutting can usualy copy of a pic or common files.

To get the brush effect and the smaller lettering a stamp might be better ?

Ninga likes this.
  3. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Its not uncommon for printing companies etc to ask for a vector image, its allows for resizing etc without losing image quality. Your logo would be tricky to do and I understand they would want to charge extra, but charging even more to let you keep it is a bit rude! I've had Inkable.com.au make vector images for printing, but they dont make stencils - I'm sure there would be online logo making sites that could do it? or download a trial of Adobe Illustrator and have a go yourself, if you've ever used photoshop its quite similar...

Ninga likes this.
  4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Would silk screening be an easier process for the small print?

5. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Doing those outer circles would be difficult for a stencil. It would have to have some 'joins' in 2 or 3 spots, which would spoil the look to some extent. :(

Ninga likes this.
  6. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Yes a con, that’s exactly what we thought too Col.
    The metal place might be the go because we’d eventually like a sign to go on the shed if we choose to do farm sales.
    I’ve had a stamp made up and it works really well for the smaller stuff. I could always ask to see if they’d do one that large.
    I remember doing some screen printing at school but can’t remember how it’s done. You reckon finding an online screen printing place might be the go?

7. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Yeah, I told the bloke I understood it was a tricky one but was okay if some of the brush effect couldn’t be done.
    I read Illustrator was the way to DIY. Maybe I’ll give the trial a go. I’m not too bad with that, it’s all the online stuff that hurts my brain! :D
    If not maybe I’ll look up Inkable to convert the file for me.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

What surfaces do you need to print on?.
    Thinking sacking or rough sawn boxes may need some pressure to get a sharp edge with spray painting.
    Dabbing with a fad or rolling with mohair 4mm nap roller might be better if using a tin stencil.?
    Like doing wool bales.
    May need 1.2- 1.6 mm thickness of there's a need for pressure.?

Alternative is a cut sticker from a signwrighter.
    Use the "ghost" or backpiece as the stencil on a silk screen.
    Problem will be it won't last long.

Think I've seen one off photographic stencils for silk screening advertised.
    Would last better .
    Will sus for price.

The screen process is dead easy.
    Just press in place , secure, and squegee the ink across.

Ninga likes this.
  9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

When I did some logos for work shirts and glass stencils I needed to provide “vectors” from my graphic designer.

A legit request in my opinion

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 5:18 PM
    Ninga likes this.
  10. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Liked the idea of the a tin/aluminium stencil Col, just for reuse ability. The Mylar plastic was somewhat cheaper and still quite durable so that was also a recommendation.
    Having our neighbour who has an old wares shop (makes a lot of stuff from old machinery pieces from his farm) make us the cheese board to print on... old hardwood being used. Also like to put it on hessian.

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Wonder if a signwriter with good printer and cutter can do the mylar.?

Ninga likes this.
  12. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Yes, sharper images needed, I understand that and it’s not an easy logo.
    But it’s never been an issue before when providing the logo to other companies for uniforms etc. They all charge their own set up fee. The fact that double $’s was asked for rights to it feels like the dealbreaker.

TeeBee likes this.
  13. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! You’re a clever cookie. ;)
    Will send a few emails to different places to find out I think.

14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Hah ha - just edited my post.

But maybe I shouldn’t have

Ninga likes this.
  15. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

I liked the first one! :D
    Hard to print on work shi#s though.

oldman and Barry like this.
  16. omelette81

omelette81 Member

Hi
    Sounds like a reasonable request due to how some programs needing to work with certain formats but definitely not worth paying for it if you can’t keep it because it is your to begin with! I tried to download your pic but no go if you want send it through to me and I’ll look at it on a program i’ve got?

Ninga and oldman like this.
  17. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

G'day @omelette81,
    Thanks mate! I've sent a PM.

18. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Can't help. But cool logo.

Ninga likes this.
  19. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Still don’t know where I can buy this awesome produce ? :rolleyes:

Ninga likes this.
  20. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Thanks Brad! :) I consider that a big compliment... as boldly stated, I'm not good on the tech stuff but managed to design the logo myself.