1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need recommendations for mechanics/ bodywork in Sydney/ Newcastle area

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Jim981, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Jim981

Jim981 Member

The conversation started off innocent enough. The wife wants me to really try to cull down my assets over the next 12 months. Sort through the shed, throw out the rubbish, chuck the scrap metal, cut down on the crap that comes home from work. Fair enough, we are looking at moving house in 18 months time.

Then she mentioned the Kombi's. Yep I know, they will need to go into storage. No. She wants me to get prices together for the rebuild of the motor and the bodywork/ rust repairs on the body. She would rather it done and have me drive it as soon as i can, than have it drag on and never get done.

It could be a dream come true, it could be a pipe dream. Here is the deal. I have a 79 bay, 2L carbs and manual box. rust is under all side and rear window rubbers and also the doglegs both sides. Otherwise the body is quite good. I was only going to wire brush the underside and POR 15 it for luck and protection. 2L is VERY worn out, 1 head has cracks and really bad valve guides and seat. 2L block also has the typical cracked block around the oil drain.

So who has a mechanic or body shop they would like to refer me to for any or all of this work. Am happy to take it to anywhere between Sydney and Newcastle. Will also be looking at the "Recommend this business" thread in Resto corner, but not sure how up to date it is.

So, if you know anybody who is chasing work with good recommendations, please leave me their details below

2. Marlyn

Marlyn Well-Known Member

Nymeyers at Belmont North are very credible mechanics and not overly pricey they also have a contact for a panel beater ( trade qualified ) who works from home in Belmont .Alan Gray he does panel work but won't paint .
    I rate them both having had work done by them
    Cheers Mark

3. Jim981

Jim981 Member

Thanks Mark

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

By the sound of the rust it will be an extensive fix so make sure its viewed and asessed fully plus the beater is suitably qualified.
    Doesnt sound like a job por15 on the outside would hold for long.
    Lipstick on a pig wont last long.

For motor I would be considering a full reco from Mike at CBB, Sydney.
    Built , fitted , and test run.

Do a comprehensive costing on everything to see if it all adds up to do it properly.

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

6. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

BC Paintworx at Maitland have done work for me and have been happy with them