1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to purchase a 2lt gearbox.

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by 74 Olive Kombi, May 4, 2019.

1. 74 Olive Kombi

74 Olive Kombi New Member

Hello, Ive just ought a beautiful 74 bay window from NSW and am going to drop a recondition 2lt in him. I currently have 1600 engine with a 1600 gearbox but will be removing them and do not have a gearbox for the 2lt as of yet. I am currently waiting for transport across the nullabor to Perth, so I'am on the hunt for a good 2lt reconditioned gearbox, If anyone has one or knows of one for sale in Perth, it would be greatly appreciated. I am anew member to the Kombi Club and love the camaraderie felt amongst the members in the many threads I've read. Having two Kombies previously throughout my 20's, Ive bought a beautiful van, now that i have kids to show them how much fun they are and enjoy weekenders away.

Fingers crossed theres a ripper over here somewhere ?
    Matty

Borgey, David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  2. galp

galp Member

If you find a 2l gearbox make sure it comes with a starter as they are longer and particular only to 2l
    They are for sale but around the $500 mark exchange.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  3. galp

galp Member

Fitted 2l engine into a 74 this afternoon with a 3 rib gearbox utilising a die grinder to relieve where the clutch was contacting the bell housing
    I might upset some kombi lovers by doing this but can use a regular starter motor now
    Also going to be lower geared compared to 2l box as well with low profile tyres it should nearly be capable of a burnout
    Will have it running soon for a test drive

David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  4. 74 Olive Kombi

HAHA a kombi doing burnouts ?? Thanks for the info Galp, im going to find out some info on the box as apparently it has been upgraded, and may be fine to use.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  5. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

I once had a 2 litre mated to a 3 rib box...good acceleration but revs a couple of hundred higher on the highway. okay until you find something else. 5 rib box is also an okay alternative. I just swapped over the bellhousing, input shaft and starter...6 rib is ultimate if you can find one.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    74 Olive Kombi and Mr Beckstar like this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Bit of talent there galp;). Nice work.
    So what's the thing with the 2ltr starter/gearbox? Why does the pinion need to be longer:confused:? I guess the die grinder today was due to diameter of clutch in the bell housing?
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  7. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

The bellhousing is deeper - I had a picture somewhere. Can swap bellhousings if the budget wont pay for a starter ;)

Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Matty, welcome to the party that never ends ;) ..... congratulations on purchasing Whitie's (ex) kombi :D

Jethro and Mr Beckstar like this.
  9. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Yeah, nice buy, great bus, love the swivel action on the passengers seat!
    Welcome aboard! Cant help with the gearbox, will keep an eye out.
    Cheers
    Geoff

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  10. 74 Olive Kombi

Thanks Kahuna , Im super excited the 2lt is mint and today I scored a 2lt box in perth so im getting it recond and slipping them both straight in.
    Thanks Jethro I managed to get one today

11. 74 Olive Kombi

Thanks for all the welcoming messages. I managed to pick up a box today and after a recon, will be slipping them both in . Any advise on gearing while I have it apart or leave it original?

12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Most leave the gearbox original ..... some who put higher performance engines in give 1st a few more legs (may require clearance adjustment to cope with the larger gear) and adjust for "highway cruising" :cool: but with pretty much everything standard then should be no need to change ratios ;)

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

As Bert said.
    Stock engine matches well with stock box ratios.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  14. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Yeah leave the ratio changes to the silly people doing things like cramming V6's in their kombis :rolleyes:
    Pic I mentioned earlier showing 1600 v 2lt bellhousings - 27072007749.jpg

Mr Beckstar, Grantus and David H like this.
  15. 74 Olive Kombi

Cheers Gazman, I have decided to leave the box in it Tony had rebuilt prior, It has the same ratios as a 2lt in the 1600 from 1st to 3rd but a tall 4th gear installed to help with highway cruising whch is bloody everywhere over here , takes me 30min to get to the pub haha , gret pics mate they look identicle apart from the shafts?

David H and oldman like this.
  16. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

The 2lt bellhousing is slightly longer, if I doodle on it in paint you can see the difference easier -
    27072007749aa.jpg

17. 74 Olive Kombi

ok , so thats the bell housing difference that ive heard of so the whole motor end comes off the two litre and goes on the other one , ive been told that the rebuilt box in my van will habve a better cruising 4th gear now than the standard two litre box which i have and know no history of.

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

As tintop mentioned....
    You will need to fit the 2 litre box input shaft, bell housing, starter motor to the 1600 box.
    The length of bell housing determines the starter and input shaft.

Also ensure that a new spiggot bearing installed in the 2 litre crankshaft to run the input shaft.

On a 1600 box the original shaft is supported differently.

The wosp high torque starters from just campers and elsewhere are animal of choice over any cheapies or rebuild unless you find a good original and rebuild it localy at good price.
    If so check with gazman for reputable auto auto sparkie.

Mr Beckstar, David H and tintop like this.
  19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Very true

Mr Beckstar likes this.