1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ‘74 Kombi

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Stormin12345, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Hi all,
    Well I am new here and just bought my first Kombi - lifelong dream to own one, and here I am. Seems like there is lots of helpful advice to be had here - I need all the help I can get! I bought a bus that has been in country NSW all it’s life, and having looked at lots before buying this one it’s the closest to a ‘rust free’ original Kombi I have ever seen (I am sure that I will get some feedback there is no such thing!). There really is no rust apart from surface patina and a couple of dings. The previous owner just blew some primer over bits of it to protect it. The camping interior is long gone but pop top still in reasonable condition. I think original 1800 motor but it was an automatic bus that has been converted to manual. It runs but the clutch is stuffed, so as such not sure of the condition of the gearbox. The plan is to restore it to original condition, maybe a two tone colour on the bottom half (thats the compromise with my loving and supportive wife :) ) other wise I want it back as it was. I am going to start with getting it right mechanically and go from there. A few questions I was hoping there may be some help with
    1) is it a sopru conversion? My research suggests it is but I know there will be some experts here - I have included a picture with the pop top open that might help.
    2) I have attached a couple of gearbox pics with the number stamped on the bottom - what gearbox do I have? It looks to me like the wrong box for a 74 1800 (three fin rather than 4 or 5 fin??) but I really don’t know.
    3) I need to drop the motor to sort out some oil leaks and sort out the clutch and generally tidy things up. I am reasonably mechanical but have never done anything like this before on an aircooled vehicle or bus - is there a ‘go to’ thread on what to do. I have a copy of the Haynes manual, but my experience tells me that there are often more ‘gotchas’ that people call out on you tube etc. How do I get the bus high enough (safely) for the motor to clear it without buying enormous truck jack stands???
    A lot of the tin ware was off and rolling around in the back as was the foam seal - I am not convinced I have all the tin ware I should but I will figure that out - anyone who knows where a diagram is of what I should have much appreciated!
    I have many many more questions but this it is where I thought I would start! Thanks in advance for any help!

C740436B-AEAD-4B3A-AA9A-26CAF10C9279.jpeg B26F0DFF-36B5-4D56-AC76-77A281A893DC.jpeg 844FE665-D82A-4442-9D99-621495DFF86F.jpeg 72492001-9F41-4EFC-85FE-5DB336984582.jpeg A3BFD3DA-5E5A-4DE4-BFD9-A661E901B508.jpeg 4BDE0D30-CD77-4F6A-B265-8CD4BACCD72D.jpeg 158116DA-829C-4128-92A4-75D836E68075.jpeg EC9815B6-F8B6-47CC-BAA4-D5362406067D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2021
  2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Looks like a sound base.
    Being from West is good.

Gearbox.
    https://www.partsemporium.co.uk/GUIDE Bay window VW type 2 gearbox codes and ratios.htm
    http://www.vwspares.ie/t2-gearbox-1600-ce-code-68-to-72inc-300-euro-surcharge

Yep.
    Should have the 5 rib.
    No biggie at present tho.
    Difference is about 200 rpm @ 100kmhr.( ish)
    Easy tell from 6 rib is 45degree angle on top corners.

Haynes is quite good.
    Google searches give the rest.
    Ratwell is a helpful site as is samba.

Ratwell should have gearbox ratios as well.
    https://www.ratwell.com/mirror/sandlizrd.baja.com/gears.htm

Checked. T2Ratios wrong.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Stormin12345,
    Welcome to the Kombi Club.
    Looks like a very genuine bus with no hidden sins which is way good:).
    It sure looks like a Sopru conversion. Is there a plate on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat?
    Here's a tin ware pic

Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Would look for a Bentley manual. American but good.
    Looks solid. The scare for some is when they lift the fibreglass.
    Get it rolling and enjoy the ride..
    Full resto can take years. Easy to get sucked into taking it all apart.

onetrackwonder and Stormin12345 like this.
  5. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Many thanks CBUS, really helpful data and sites, much appreciated, looks like the box I have will work, will give it a go and see what happens.

6. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Many thanks David - the picture helped me figure out what I have tinware wise thank you - seems I have everything which is a good start.
    There is a sticker behind the passenger seat showing the colour (pic attached), and the usual compliance plate behind the drivers seat. Can’t find anything that references SOPRU however aside from a really faded sticker inside the drivers door jam - all I can read on it is ‘245’.
    Cheers

19B94490-7A00-4843-A5BD-855CCF99D231.jpeg

7. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

I have a bit of mystery metal that came with the car that I can’t figure out - anyone know what this is?

2B356CF2-5492-4A4A-959A-B738F1737FA3.jpeg

B7BD8093-DAAB-4717-B787-BFA170F162CD.jpeg

8. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

That would be the heat shield. Bolts onto tinware above the muffler.

Stormin12345 and oldman like this.
  9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

As Al posted.....
    A lot of buses getting around without them.....and why the foam engine seal degrades quicker than it should...
    Heat from the muffler affects the seal , particularly when stopped or in crawling traffic.
    Get it back on if you can.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Stormin12345 likes this.
  10. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Hi Storm12345, Welcome to the KC, It is a very clean bus, If you bus has an engine hatch over the top of the engine (which looks like it does) It would have an 1800 , engine numbers start with AP on the engine block, You should then have a 1800 gearbox 5 rib which you have a 1600 that was made in 3 /74, get it mechanically sound and enjoy it wherever it takes you.

Stormin12345 likes this.
  11. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Btw, with the heat shield be careful if is is very rusty as it contains asbestos. Sound like you have a good base vehicle and worth the effort. Well done.

Adrian

onetrackwonder and Stormin12345 like this.
  12. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Sopru build plates may also be found behind the driver’s seat....
    That’s where mine is.;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

13. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Stormin 12345! :)

Enjoy the ride........ ;)

14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the party that never ends :)

(PS. did some editing of your posts so that the pictures are full size ;))

15. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the KC. My '74 has the same poptop, an 1800 engine and has had a 2 ltr gearbox fitted some time before I bought it. The 1600 gearbox will make it very quick off the mark (well, for a '74 Kombi anyway) and good on the hills, the top speed suffers though. To me, the combination of the 1800 engine and 2 ltr gearbox works great, good highway speed but still climbs the hills ok.

After 3 engine rebuilds trying to stop an oil leak that looked for all the world to be coming out of the alternator, finally discovered a bolt hole in the side of the block where the thermostat pulley mounted. That hole goes right through into the upper crankcase and that was where the mystery oil leak came from, so worth checking to see if you have a similar problem.

Looking forward to reading your rebuild thread, when you start it. I'll eventually have saved enough for the resto on my poor beast so it will be good to compare vehicles as we go. Mine has mega miles on the clock, still a semi daily driver and the vehicle of choice when we have to go from Mannum to Adelaide to pick up aluminum sheets and boxes of lithium cells for the workshop.

T1 Terry

16. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Nothing there either unfortunately

17. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Thanks! What did I do wrong?

18. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Thanks T1 Terry I will look out for that. Plenty of oil around my engine so I am sure there are multiple leaks. All being well it will come out the bus this week.

19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

When you upload your files you can click "full image"

upload_2021-4-20_11-50-3.png

Grantus likes this.
  20. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Excellent thank you