1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 1800cc heads

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Aspudis, Jul 8, 2019.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Wow. That's a bit OTT:(.
    & you do have some (a lot) of work in front of you. Good luck with it. Penny will thank you in the end:).
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar and Aspudis like this.
  2. robmich

robmich Active Member

hey mate if you need a hand to pull the motor let me know ,iv had to do it a couple times not that hard, but more than the 4 bolts that the urban myth says
    Rob

3. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

Thanks for the offer Rob. That’s awesome. If I get stuck along the way I’ll definitely get you around for some help/advice. Cheers.

Elsie 76 and Mr Beckstar like this.
  4. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

So my new AMC heads and all the gaskets have arrived. I should have the engine out tomorrow. Do they come ready to go and am I right to basically just bolt the new heads on? Or does something need to be done with them first? Like something with the valves?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Mr Beckstar likes this.
  5. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

They should be ready to fit and adjust the valves after fitting.

6. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

AMC heads come ready to go unless you want to get fancy with your valve seat angles. They should have a stepped seat so shouldn't need the metal gaskets between the cylinder and head ( which you may find when you pull your existing heads off)

7. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

Thanks!

Mr Beckstar and Elsie 76 like this.
  8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

9. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

Ok brains trust. So the engine is out! (More than 4 bolts indeed @robmich ).
    I’ve started removing all the to ware and bits. Just wanted some thoughts on what you all think about the condition of the engine based on pictures of the valves only. Just an early indication because I haven’t yet taken the heads off (it’s too dark and cold :eek:) . I’ve also taken a photo off the engine from the top. Does it look to you people that the heads have been replaced once already and the cylinders not done as well? Based on the rusty appearance of them compared to the relatively clean silver heads. Do you think I’ll need to / should do the pistons and cylinders as well now?

56E2D69D-3254-46A8-B112-9594CDAAA33D.jpeg 35C6F14D-4F0F-4AE0-998E-66D133973143.jpeg 33BA54F7-0588-42FC-8743-DD0335718798.jpeg 4AD993C8-5A08-4494-A6B9-4ABBC6BB46D7.jpeg 83828930-9705-4760-9DF1-AD9E5EFC0F06.jpeg 28C899E9-F0AF-41CA-8DCB-BF5043B90E5B.jpeg 3BCEC8FF-6BE8-4D1E-BFF9-5AC24FBBA6C7.jpeg BD1E952A-CAAF-4027-9AAA-DA25ED517151.jpeg 4972DA82-6B42-44CF-9658-38E7B19F3703.jpeg

David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  10. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

No3# exhaust looks like it has a crack in the head. I don't know how it was running good or bad and for the extra coin and you have doubt about the cylinders I would look more at replacement then leave to find out what should of been done. You might disturb the cylinders anyway in the process of just taking the heads off.

11. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

Thanks Wayne. It was running terribly. That is a crack on No:3 Exhaust. Good spot. It’s been there since November actually. The reason I decided now to change the heads was that No:1 intake valve seat is sinking into the head rapidly. It was barely running at all when I last drove it and I thought I wouldn’t get home.

Wayne murray and Mr Beckstar like this.
  12. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Active Member

Hi Nathan Penny is really coming along, well done, Number 1 exhaust looks very wet/oily compared to the rest, was #1 plug firing, in regards to your barrels not looking as shiny as the heads and block, there is no need to worry about the look, these are steel barrels and I believe cast iron fins so they will always look rusty, you would really need someone to measure up the barrels pistons and rings to check for the wear, cheers Greg

David H, Mr Beckstar and tintop like this.
  13. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

Thanks Greg. Definitely learning a lot and enjoying myself along the way with Penny. She’s pretty different now to when we were at Mallacoota.

I don’t think #1 was firing very well. I replaced the plugs before my last drive and #1 is still oily when removed compared to the rest. I actually think I’m not getting very good spark at all and my coil may be on the way out. The spark I get is pretty weak looking and yellow. Not a crisp white/blue at all.

I think I’ll do as you suggest and take the barrels, pistons and rings off to a mechanic to be measured for me. Hopefully one of the guys up this way will be able to recommend someone for me to go to. @David H @Elsie 76 @Mr Beckstar

14. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Active Member

We will all have to get used to the new colour, and you won't be allowed to lead out any runs because we won't be able to keep up, ha, the wet barrel looks to be the only one so its possible that it is the plug cap or lead that is the problem, the rest look good so if it was the coil it would be across the board the same,, cheers Greg

David H, Mr Beckstar and Aspudis like this.
  15. David H

Nymeyers at Belmont Nathan.
    Cheers

16. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

Went and seen the guys at Nymeyers today. They were both so so helpful! Spent about an hour with them chatting, looking at a couple of my pistons and barrels, and going through what needs to be done. Left with a set of new rings, cylinder gaskets and a little bit of renewed confidence (sort of).

Hopefully I can get this engine to run again eventually o_O! If not I’ll just need a few volunteers to come round and help me lift it into the T5 so I can concede defeat and drop to Nymeyers :D! Anyone? :D:D

Mr Beckstar, Wayne murray and David H like this.
  17. David H

So they're a bit specific about who they help! If it ain't stock ....you're gone:rolleyes:! Sounds like you passed the first test with Hans;):D!
    You're on your way but I'm in if you need a lift:).
    Stick with your confidence:).
    Cheers

18. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

So I have one piston with the new rings installed inside it’s cylinder and loosely placed on the studs. Thoughts on using any heat rated silicon type stuff where the cylinder meets the crankcase??? The mechanic said it can be a good idea. I’ve got the new thin gaskets already.

Obviously I know there is nothing at all needed where the heads meet the cylinders.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  19. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

vw didn't assemble them that way...whatever you put there affects your deck height (and therefore your compression ratio)

suppose it also depends on how fast it cures and how quick you can assemble the cylinders and heads and torque it 'flat' - and whether your torque values need to change

Aspudis and David H like this.
  20. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

just remembered (different but the same)...using silicone and torquing a flywheel way back when - only got to the top of the street

Aspudis likes this.