1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Bosch SVDA - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by nikferatu, May 25, 2012.

1. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Looking around at dizzy options for the 1600 and these cropped up at JustKampers for about 180 ish - listed as bosch but country of manufacture unknown. Anyone had any experience with these or know a better option? 1600 is stock as except running alternator.

2. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

There is also a Mexico VW unit at cip1 that's about 240 landed.

3. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

4. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Is it Bosch or something else? Is that the same base unit as the Bosch available in Aust from JustKampers? I see they do the electronic upgrade but I wonder what else... Still don't know where Bosch make these parts these days. I can live without the electronic upgrade for now but if that leaves a plain old Bosch that one is paying a higher price + postage I'd need more info to see a benefit. On the other hand I've had the chinese built units and was pretty underwhelmed.

Thanks for the suggestion Kai I might send them an email and see what else they have to say on it.

5. courty

courty New Member

We have the one from Just Kampers in our 1600 DP and it runs sweets, damn site better than the old crusty unit. The mechanic who installed it, who is a reputable vw mechanic was surprised to see a new bosch unit and how well it ran. Before buying he told us to steer clear of the cheap chinese units as you will end up just replacing them. The one on aircooled.net visually looks the same, but it does have the electronic ignition. If I recall correct, it was made in mexico.

6. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Ah ok - I'm also running 1600 DP, good to see someone having a good run with one. The last chinese one I owned I can only guess it was chinese - it came unboxed and unbranded in a kit with a compufire electric upgrade set that didn't fit it, and this from a major vw parts supplier in this country. I guess I got what I paid for, didn't take long for it's quality to prove itself - it's in the bin now and as a result, 'twice shy' on just about anything on the market without some kind of review from a real person!

Cheers for replying! What type were you running before hand? Was it vac or mechanical?

7. courty

courty New Member

The previous one was a vacuum job so I just replaced it with the same. I can't even remember if the original was a bosch unit. I know the vacuum can on it was a bit stuffed and thought by the time we replaced that, had it fitted with other bits we might as well but a new one and be done with it. Since being installled 9 months ago, I haven't had to look at it. I also fitted up new leads and a bosch gt40 coil at the same time.

8. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Sounds good. My motor is new and coil is near new, carb rebuilt etc. Only the dizzy was unknown quantity, it's an original 009 i scored at action day in what looked to be great condition - despite what many say it was the best runner I could organise as the several vac units I had were either cheap and nasty or old and flogged out. The new motor set-up budget was maxed and the secondhand 009 seemed to be going great guns, but over the last 6 months performance and mileage have dropped off and can't seem to rectify through tuneup, now its flat-spotting at take-off like you'd expect the 009 to do, and this with new plugs, everything in the dizzy, leads etc, new fuel filter and lines throughout. Now using a trailer with my new business and need all the response I can safely wring out of it!

9. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

The ducks nuts just bought one for my rat 66, BOSCH real stuff, added electronic ignition to mine. All there stuff is pretty good, John Connelly a top bloke, a guru.
    Even looking at one of his 1776 long blocks to import, just pricing and speccing at this stage, but real good engine.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  10. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

When you go to order one on their site it asks you for what carb setup you're using. Does this mean the dizzy itself is individually tweaked for each customer, regardless of whether you go electronic or not? If they're all just a stock Bosch out of the box there are cheaper ways to do it... The electronic version is tempting although a bit more than I was hoping to spend ATM.

11. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

Yep, tweaked, that dizzy is a good BOSCH one, others at the cheaper price are chinese repros, you get what you pay for. It's up to you, but I like the timing to be perfect or as close as, good timing is a cooler engine

12. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Oh yeah, totally. I think I'll end up doing it, not interested in the chinese variety. It's funny how we're digging up our minerals hell for leather and making our billionaires more billions just so we can import those resources back in the form of substandard manufactured goods that perform lousy service for a season and then go straight into landfill. And it's a mystery to some people why manufacturing jobs are under pressure in this country! But I digress...

13. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

Your dead right, I'm in Perth where those billionaires live and all the minerals you can poke a stick at and I'm importing parts DOH