1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New facet pump, fuel regulator, relay query

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Tash, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Tash

Tash Member

Greetings all - I'm fairly new to my van and still at the early stages of learning, but I also enjoy working through things and trying to do them myself.

My stock fuel pump has sadly gone wayward and is sending fuel everywhere, and at the suggestion of my local (non kombi but trustworthy) mechanic, I've bought an electric facet pump.
    After a bit of delving around on the net, I've also ordered a fuel regulator - both of these are from VWHeritage UK and still in transit.

I've found a thread here about a manual cut off valve from a lawnmower supply company - I think this is a great idea and will source one of them as well - even just for changing fuel lines.

My latest query is regarding the relay - I see a few folks talk about a tachometric relay. I've found one on the JustKampers site, JK Part Number: J82072. Has any one got one of these in place, or has any other suggestions to bear in mind?

I was just going to use a standard relay, and piggy back off the coil so that it only operates when the ignition is on.

Thanks for all and any help, Tash
    (with a 1975 1800 manual van )

2. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

I think the tachometric relay will also allow your pump to prime when you turn your ignition on, on mine I can hear the pump for about 3 seconds when ignition is turn on. My mechanic said a piece of rubber between the pump and the chassis will make it sound quieter (mine doesn't have this and the pump does make some noise).

Think about getting a solenoid fuel cutoff instead of a manual tap, it will also cutoff the fuel supply when the engine is off (or if you have an accident and the engine stalls).

On a side note another type of fuel pump to consider is this (I know its too late as you've already ordered yours)

3. Tash

Tash Member

Thanks Burnstar - any recommendations on the solenoid fuel cut off?
    And thanks for that other fuel pump idea, if mine somehow fails (I really hope not) then I'll be re-thinking what to use.

May I ask also (sorry for the flood of questions) where is your fuel pump powered from? I'm thinking of piggybacking off the coil so that I don't have another wire running the length of the van to the ignition.

4. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

The solenoid is from here. I haven't fitted it yet as I've had some other work done to my bus.

The pump was already installed in my bus when I bought it, I'm pretty sure the constant 12v is from the engine bay somewhere, the relay will only work when it receives power from the coil, there is another power cable from the coil to the relay (when the ignition is on).

Bernard

5. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I think we have a thread discussing this, but first, IMHO facet pumps are not the best choice as they are questionable in quality, noisy and the pressure is all over the place. If you have it, use it but aim for a vane type eventually, such as the pierburg 3-5 psi lift pump once you get sick of it. Injectorsonline.com sell them. They are rated at the same as the original pump pressure. More than 5 psi and you stress the needle valves in the carbs.
    The Peel tachometric relay from JK works on the signal from the coil. It runs a few seconds on start up and then shuts off the pump until it senses the coil firing. If you wire to the ignition without this unit and the engine stalls then you jump out to see where all the smoke is coming from and forget to turn the ignition off, the pump will continue to pump fuel. Not going to be good.
    The solenoid you can get from Bluelpg. Both the solenoid and the above pump have 5/16 inch fittings so you will need to try some fittings either side to get down to 3/16 inch which is very close to the metric fittings 5.5mm on the carbs. Use Norma brand fuel injection clamps on all fittings. Use brass fittings and seal with a loctite ptfe thread sealing compound. The other thing about the solenoid is the electric pumps don’t have a stop valve like the original so the only thing stopping fuel draining into the carbs is the needle valves when parked front up hill. There is only two little rubber rings holding back up to 50 litres of fuel.

The whole kit is going to cost a few hundred dollars, but you are replacing an item that is hard to find in good nick, and if it reduces the chance of losing the whole bus, it has to be worth it.

Adrian

cbus likes this.
  6. Tash

Tash Member

Thankyou, both of you. I guess I'll stick with the facet at first, and true, if/when I get sick of the noise and any other issues, I'll at least have some better options.
    I'm definitely going to get a tachometric relay (and the solenoid) - I agree that it's better to spend a bit more, do it well and not risk the bus just because I wanted to save fifty bucks.
    I've already got a blaze cut and 3 small fire extinguishers, but prevention is always better.
    Thanks again - Tash

David H and Mordred like this.