1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new icebox... air con?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Thomas, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Thomas

Thomas New Member

I've bought a few old iceboxes in the past, but this one seems to be the perfect match :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm considering building a 12V air conditioner out of it... just for fun. Has anyone done this before? I've seen a few pages on the internet that mention computer fans etc., but I just wanna see if anyone else has gone down the DIY road or even bought one?

You can buy them here, but I've found mixed reviews of this product and never seen one in action.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-VOLT-...382151?pt=Air_Conditioner&hash=item3a612c1547

This whole concept is brand new to me. What do you guys reckon? Yay or nay?

2. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Watching with interest.

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

nice bit of colour codeing:)

would keep it as an esky/fridge.

top probably doesnt have foam. increase insulation all round internaly /cut a couple of cup holders in the front of lid for' travellers'. install a peltier cooler unit. will work great

col

4. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

I've thought about this since discussing with my son the problems of driving my old Seca to work on the few really hot days we have. It doesn't have AC and by the time I get to work (30k trip) I'm already melting and almost in need of a shower. He said that some V8 racing cars have those ice coolers in them and I have thought to try and make one myself. It's really not worth spending nearly $3,000 on fitting AC to a 1990 car just to keep me cool for three days of the year, so thanks for the link:)

5. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

Just out of intrest where did you get the chrome rims on the dash?

6. Fooksy

Fooksy Member

I've seen the chrome rims brand new on evilbay a few times!!!

I'll be watching this thread closely also!