1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New member - 76 T2 swagman in Brisbane

Discussion in 'New Members' started by BrissieRex, Feb 8, 2018.

1. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Active Member

Hello all,

Finally followed my heart and took possesion of this 76 T2 swagman camper. I have a 73 VW squareback as my daily driver, and have wanted a Kombi for 30 years, with dreams of weekend camping adventures and road trips!

Below are photos when I collected the Kombi in Adelaide - it was poorly maintiained, and desperate for some TLC, but I fell in love with the original interior and style.

The last photos are how he looks now, currently in Lismore where my brother lives, getting ready for rego.

My brother and I so far have :
    - removed and refitted the engine and gearbox to replace the shift rod bushings.
    - replaced the front and rear seals on the gearbox, and changed the oil
    - checked and reinstalled the clutch
    - gave the engine a quick service - new oil, filter, leads and replaced many missing tinware seals
    - adjusted the brakes and handbrake
    - fixed the speedo
    - removed and reinstalled the watertank after patching a hole
    - repairs to the pop top
    - just removed all the glass to get at the rusty bits
    - and off to the welder next week to fix doglegs, under the windscreen and spots around the side windows and rear hatch.

Still a few more things to do - thoroughly enjoying the project, and looking forward to getting him on the road in the next month or so.

Hope to get along to some gatherings in the near future, and already booked for Valla again this year, this time in the Kombi.

So the PO had given the car a name - whats the ettiquitte on changing the name? Would hate to bring on bad luck!

Ive always enjoyed reading the forums - its a great community!

thanks, Rex

upload_2018-2-8_14-48-15.png upload_2018-2-8_15-4-22.png upload_2018-2-8_15-4-37.png upload_2018-2-8_15-4-53.png

SinnamonSins, Miss Rosie and BusyBear like this.
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

BrissieRex Welcome to the KC. Sounds like you have covered most things. Have you checked or replaced brake lines and bleed brakes etc ? Looks nice Australian camper conversion as well. You don't see many Swagmans around in good nick. Changing the name some people go by the previous owners name or by the number plate and make a name out of it or you just change it to suit the cars personality. Changing the name on a boat was known to have bad luck,also blessing the boat with a bottle of champagne. On a car I don't think those rules apply,change it to suit yourself. Don't christen your car with champagne:eek::confused: try drinking it ,you enjoy it will celebrating your kombi purchase.Enjoy your kombi journey wherever it leads you.

3. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Active Member

Thanks Wayne,

Yes, I really liked that it was very original, and pretty solid, considering what it has been through.

Thanks for the tip on the brakes - we have just visually inspected the brakes at this stage, and a few test runs and they seem to be pretty good - the brake lines look okay and a couple of the hard lines have been replaced in the rear at some point. I'll keep checking them once I get a chance to take some longer test drives.
    Will definitely be celebrating when we get rego, probably an overnight trip not too far from home just in case :) Champagne will be involved :)

Rex

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club. :)

Enjoy the ride..............;)

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Rex, welcome to the party that never ends :D and all the best with the re-birth of the kombi ...... just be sure to keep us posted with how things go ;)

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

G'day & welcome

Sweet original bus you have there

7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi BrissieRex,
    Welcome to KC & loved the post. Nice genuine bus & will bring you much pleasure. 76 one of the best years for little rust. Nice to see him (mine is a boy) hanging out with other things that fly:p.
    Cheers

BrissieRex likes this.
  8. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

Welcome to the KC BrissieRex! there are a few events coming up including the Bus Stop at Easter at Stanthorpe. Some come along and say hello !

ruby6689 and David H like this.
  9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice find, welcome aboard, enjoy the ride :cool:
    Looking forward to the rebirth.
    Just remember, it’s your bus, so do what you want......that’s why at any given kombi gathering, you’ll see so many variations of similar shells. It’s the individuality that makes it yours.....
    I’m not aware of any renaming protocols......you will find a name that fits pretty quickly ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

10. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Active Member

Hey, thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

hopefully we can get rego before the Busstop - this sounds like a great weekend.

The previous name was Bruce, so will probably stick with this unless my wife and kids have any better suggestions.

Seats are going over to the upholstery guy for retrimming today- going with an off white basket weave to make then a litte cooler on a hot day and keep my wife happy :)

Heres a few more photos of the journey so far:

Towing a Kombi behind a Peugeot 307 is not recommended! :

upload_2018-2-9_11-39-41.png

Good opportunity to give the engine bay a clean - one of the previous owners was a Kombi Club member :) :

upload_2018-2-9_11-42-5.png

Motor out and new shocks going in:

upload_2018-2-9_11-40-50.png

Gearbox cleaned up prior to fitting new seals

upload_2018-2-9_11-45-59.png

Seals replaced on the gearbox:

upload_2018-2-9_11-58-46.png

The fuel gauge wasnt working, so we removed the fuel tank, replaced the sender and checked the hoses while the engine was out. Heaps of dust in here, but no rust anyhere in the engine bay thank goodness!

upload_2018-2-9_12-2-15.png

Lots of rust under the windscreen however. Soon to be sorted!

upload_2018-2-9_12-3-3.png
    Cleaned out heaps of red dust from under the bus, including this from on top of the water tank :

upload_2018-2-9_11-39-57.png

Thanks for your interest!
    Rex

Attached Files:

David H likes this.
  11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Can you check the calibration of your fuel sender before it all goes back in?

I'm a T3 guy - not a T2, but i keep hearing stories about people changing the sender and getting it all back together only to find out the gauge hardly moves cause it has been calibrated

12. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Active Member

Hi Barry, Too late! Its all back together now Crap, I hope it works!
    Mind you, now that we have some practice, it should be quicker getting the engine out and in again :)
    We only put enough fuel in to check that it ran and tune the carbs, but the gauge on the dash seemed to move a smideon - gives me hope!

13. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Well-Known Member

The decals down the side are fantastic, great colour combination and layout. Have fun with your new project.

BrissieRex likes this.
  14. David H

Nice post BrissieRex,
    Seems you've got 'stuck into it'. Great stuff:). Keep us posted.
    Cheers

BrissieRex likes this.
  15. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Looks like you are doing plenty of TLC to your new bus. I like the one horse powered engine you have (below);)does it brreeee(horse sound) a long nicely
    [​IMG]

BrissieRex and David H like this.
  16. David H

That's one man power. Just a bit less than 1 hose power;).
    Cheers

BrissieRex and Wayne murray like this.
  17. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Active Member

:):pThat engine is way too underpowered :) It was so hot that day, that this was the only job I could handle in the afternoon - trying to convince my brother to air-condition his hangar....

David H and Wayne murray like this.
  18. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Welcome Rex, I wonder if I will get to see it buzzing around here soon. We are at Nimbin and in Lismore very often. Not sure who you have lined up for the welding but I can help you out with a contact of the guy that did ours, He is local to Lismore and BRILLIANT, a very keen Kombi owner and restorer. I also have a really great paint guy in Lismore who has worked on lots of Kombis if I can help just leave a message in the 'Conversation' area top right.

BrissieRex likes this.
  19. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Great Post BrissyRex and welcome, thats the way to hook in, bet your keen to get her home and on the road but your patience and work will pay off, love a 76, keep the pics and updates coming,
    Cheers

BrissieRex likes this.
  20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Getting a good 'dung out'.
    A good start
    Welcome to the club.
    Look foward to ' Bruces' adventures.

Poor Pug. :eek:

Cheers
    Col

BrissieRex likes this.