1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New member GW2200………

Discussion in 'New Members' started by GW2200, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I now use a mechanic that knows T3’s

2. GW2200

GW2200 Active Member

Last bit of stuff to come…..: I replaced all coolant pipes, hoses and connectors with stainless steel ones wherever I could and silicone ones for the rest. Replaced the coolant pressure reservoir tank with a bullet proof aluminium one and installed a heavy duty German radiator - the cooling apparatus is vital to a healthy Syncro.

Changed the entire gear shift assembly with a solid billet ball unit from T3 Technique. The original assembly is too wayward whilst the billet gear stick has a substantially shorter throw (though same length) and the steel ball mechanism is more positive and firm - great for off road travelling.

Replaced the starter motor with latest 1.4kw high output gear reduction motor (wife doesn’t want to push start our Syncro anymore, lol. Exhaust pipes including muffler are all stainless steel and both batteries are lithium. All of mechanical components (steering pump, fuel pump, distributor, etc) have been replaced.

These improvement things to my Syncro I had done were because parts were and still are available and, for me the Syncro concept design (shape, size, mechanical layout, overall ability) is still better for the bush and outback than any Tmodel since. A lot cheaper - oh, all right, I just love it.

3. GW2200

GW2200 Active Member

I am working on finding and getting photos of the T2/T3/Syncro to put up on the forum - if anyone has a clue how to format (is that the correct word?) a photo please teach me; I wasn’t an attentive student at school long ago, but I have reformed since.

David H likes this.
  4. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

I suppose it depends what device you are using. When I'm on a PC, I right click on the photo, click on edit, click resize then reduce to 30%. When I'm on a phone, I take a screenshot and then crop out the unwanted bits.

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

What’s your starting point? Mac, PC, Android, Iphone, Ipad?

Each is a little different to upload pics, max 1mb in size, to show in threads here…….

6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I use postimage.com.

Its free and works just like photobucket did.

Easy to post image:
    [​IMG]

7. GW2200

GW2200 Active Member

Meanwhile and returning to describing my beloved Syncro - what’s it like living in it when travelling around?

Well, it has a full length pop top which allows my 6 foot height (maybe 5ft 11ins - shrunk with ageing) to move around inside without having to bend. The front seats are lambswool covered; thank you shearers. Windows are tinted and fly-screened (new word variation for the Oxford Dictionary). Passenger and driver’s side windows have slip over fly screens and the sliding door has a clip on mozzie screen zippered down the middle. When all windows, sliding door and upper fly-screened (on canvas pop top extension) cut outs are open, convection airflow helps during hot nights. Super hot nights require using a small quiet gentle flow fan (fridge fan, similar to a computer fan - minimal power usage). Popping the lid requires two arms of average strength and a head (got one of those) that engages a pad on the underside of the lid and then push up. The lid is a little heavy because it has a 136W indestructible vinyl solar panel attached along its length (expensive). Forty exercise push-ups per day and two heavily pressurised gas struts is enough power to get me by.

Cooking is via the brilliant metho Origo 3000 double burner stove - no gas, yippee. Did a test a few years ago comparing gas with this stove’s heating ability in reaching the boiling point of one litre of water - metho won by 40 seconds (no water molecules were harmed during this experiment). For heating I use the Origo stand alone heater (all of this is not an advertisement for Origo - these items are no longer available). The heater uses the same metho canisters as the stove. A VW campervan is small and more ‘pack up and go’ compared to motor homes, caravans, etc, so in this context a metho stove and heater with easy access to fuel supply anywhere (gas often problematic) is convenient.

The rock and roll bed set up gives you a bed/settee/bench seat for two/large storage space underneath - that’s four purposes from one mechanism; I like. A minor downside is that you do not have a permanent bed set up if you like that sort of thing. LED lighting is throughout, including inside my wife's wardrobe and shoes box (Imelda Marcos had only 3000 pairs; wife hmm). Minimal battery power is needed for this lighting and no globes to break or replace. Soft, slightly spongy synthetic rubber flooring gives comfort underfoot, allows for easy cleaning and sweeping out grit and dust.

A 2.7 metre (length and width) awning extends out from its holder secured by brackets along the passenger side rain gutter - takes about two minutes to set up. If mozzies and flies want a piece of me then out comes a midge proof four sided and four zipped insect screen with flyscreen sewn in above - takes about five minutes to fit under the awning. There are lots of other things that go on with travelling and camping in my Syncro, however all this stuff is just a little insight to my happiness.

Nothing is perfect and compromise rules this fact.

David H and Syncro27 like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

sounds like a good set up you have.

One day I would love to catch up and compare stoves.
    I wanted to get away from the gas, but the Origo are NLA sadly.

Apparently the replacement from the original importer is a Binetti.

Was promised it is every bit as good as the Origo but with improvements.

I bought the single as a test run and was really disappointed.

I did tests comparing my gas bbq and my metho Trangia.

Not good results for the metho

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  9. GW2200

GW2200 Active Member

The one day will not slip from my mind.

When I did the metho/gas comparison test I used a Companion double burner portable stove against the Origo metho burner. The litre of water poured into the pot in each case was the same cool temperature. The same pot was used in each test and it’s temperature was the same at the start of heating up the water.
    The gas stove was turned up to maximum flame and the same went for the Origo. There was no variation of ambient temperature nor any breeze during the test - quite laboratory testing.
    I chose the gas stove size burner because it was the closest to the Origo burner size.

10. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Well Ryszard, it's coming on a fortnight now ...

254.jpg

Patrick :)

oldman, Syncro27, rstucke and 2 others like this.
  11. GW2200

GW2200 Active Member

I've got your subtle reminder in the front of my mind - will ring brother in law techno guru tonight and sought it. I like computer stuff but I think there's an internal saboteur hiding in my cranium that is disrupting any inclination to learn the modern stuff. Nevertheless, I will get those pics on the way, my credibility depends on it.

12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

13. MartyVS

MartyVS New Member

@ Ryszard I am both intrigued and inspired by your story and all the things you have done to your Syncro. While I am fiscally challenged I have aspirations to make my Syncro an enduring beast of a machine. I'd love top catch up sometime to learn what, how, and who upgraded the various mechanicals on yours.

14. GW2200

GW2200 Active Member

Marty when I bought the Syncro it was stock standard apart from being a campervan and was a reasonable off roader, however, it did have several limitations (mechanical and capability) which fortunately could be addressed but unfortunately cost, as you put it, fiscally. Nevertheless, the standard Syncro setup is good and improving its ground clearance makes it very good. If nothing else, that’s what I would concentrate on.

True ground clearance is the measurement between the ground and the lowest point of the vehicle’s underneath mechanicals. Many 4WDs purport misleading ground clearance by citing underbody clearance while ignoring the differential housing (pumpkin) drop, and that’s what hits the stubborn rock. The Syncro doesn’t have a pumpkin drop.

Anyway, I’m no Syncro expert, I simply enjoy the freedom and happiness it gives me. Yes, I can meet though I don’t know how we arrange this via the forum - is there a go to section for a one on one connection?

MartyVS likes this.
  15. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Ryszard, the easiest way is to click on the username (on his post) and then click on 'start a conversation'. Patrick

(or you can go to your 'inbox' at the top right of the screen and work from there)

Syncro27 and MartyVS like this.
  16. GW2200

GW2200 Active Member

Thanks tintop from poptop………