1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Members

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Roy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Del

Del New Member

Hello Kombi clubbers...

Hi, I have just bought my self a 1972 Kombi and could do with chatting to some kombi lovers over a beer in the N.E of Melbourne. Great to see a few members are living in the Northcote area who appear keen on a get together. I am sure I have given you the wave over the past few weeks. I am a novice Kombi guy and will be asking many q's about maintenance and upkeep over the coming weeks. My main concern is the temp gauge moves to high when ever I drive on a hot day for more than an hour. The dodgy mechanic I have given over $1400 to just says it will be ok. He said the same about an oil leak then engine just stopped on the way back from Phillip Island. Thanks for listening.

2. brookie

brookie Guest

You will get lots of advice re temp and guages.
    The standard redlight warns of both oil pressure and temp malfunction.
    Buy John Muirs book- The Idiots Guide etc. Think the Bus Stop still has them.

Basically if you can hold dipstick in hand-even if you have to swap hands- it is OK.

Sorry did not realise you joined today- welcome to the forum-our 1128 th member!:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  3. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Hey Del, welcome to the Kombi Club! I also have a 72, and would love to check it out - is it a camper or bus, or other?

There are a number of members on this forum from the NE Melb region, and we are in the process of organising a couple of get-togethers in the area, including a charity card night in Bulleen and a visit to the Northcote Social Club. We're also having a Melb get together on the 4th Feb at 9am, Thresherman's Cafe, Faraday St Carlton.

Check out this thread, and a couple of others under "Coming Events" for current plans...

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=3783

Have fun, look forward to seeing you!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  4. Necro

Necro Active Member

Hello

Hey Del, welcome aboard....

KC is fantastic for help and very friendly, roam around look at posts...
    There is a search feature for particular questions...it has a great community...

In Melbourne KC is starting to get going with a social scene, come on down we are all new, it's a great time to get involved see the Melbourne posts in Coming Events...

Bay Tech Clinic is the best place for Technical questions....

Don't be afraid of posting, KC is very welcoming to new members and very friendly....they even accepted me...:) Flames don't seem to happen, there are people of all skills and experience, it makes trouble shooting easier...

In Melbourne we have a monthly event, anyone can suggest an idea and we even have workshop days, where we work on someones kombi in a pack and everyone learns something...a lot of us also seem to live just near you...I am in Bulleen....

Can I ask which mechanic it was....?

There are good and bad as in anything, we can direct you to the better ones...some just take money, it's not in their interests to make your bus run beautifully, they want you coming back, some overcharge but some are great and really love Kombis...

Hempkombi loves his mechanic and direct you to him....

I am going to PM this message to make sure you get it...

Cheers and thanks for joining....

Necro

5. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Hi Del.

Hey the Melbourne group (Team Kombi) is growing! How cool is that? Hope to meet you on the 4th Feb at the bakery. Its a hoot all the different types of people all meeting to have a laugh and talk about kombis. Lets face it we all have nightmare stories about big mechanic bills, breakdowns and over heating problems. So its good to hear how different ones have solved thier issues and you might hear of one that appeals to you. I don't know if the cammokombi will be on the road or not then but I hope I will be there anyway. I'll sweet talk dunegirl and if I'm real nice to her and behave myself she might drive me there? I'm in Bayswater North in the Outer East so it takes about 40 mins to drive to to Carlton. Take my word for it, if last time was anything to go by it is worth the effort to drive in and meet people. They really are a great bunch. So Welcome to K.C. we love photos so look forward to seeing your kombi on kc soon.

6. HempKombi

HempKombi New Member

Sorry for not seeing this one earlier Team Kombi, been a bit stressed re: work and all that fun stuff. Will try a bit harder over the next few days....

Del, the mechanic I go to is Volkspower in Burwood. A genuine VW mechanic in a family business. Even if you just give them a call and have a chat with Dean (the owner) about what has been told to you previously, he could probably tell you what the problem really is, how much he would charge, and then start looking for when he can squeeze you in. And I don't know if its because I bought a kombi from him or not, but I've never been charged the full price he has quoted me for anything.

Look forward to seeing you on the 4th at the cafe, and maybe even sooner than that!

Welcome aboard!

7. Backbeat

Backbeat Member

Hi Del, welcome aboard. You'll learn heaps from the guys on this forum. I'm a new Kombi owner and managed to find the answer to a lot of my questions just by doing a search.

I was recommended to Lloyd at Volkwerke in Greensborough by the guy who sold me my kombi (who was an ex VW mechanic). My brief dealings to date, mainly for parts and advice have been great.

Hope to see a few of you guys if I can make it on the 4th

8. Van Housing

Hey Backbeat, I was thinking of trying Volkswerke as they are close by, but I noticed their ad in VWMA says they do "Late model servicing - T4, Golf, Passat, New Beetle". I assumed this meant they don't do bay kombis!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  9. daffman70

daffman70 New Member

HI to ALL

Hi everyone, Daffman here, and of course new to the site.

Been drooling over a number of splits over the past months and have my surfing kids wanting a "hippy bus" for thier surfing trips which are getting more regular. Just today bought the fourth board for the youngest of my crew.

I would love a splitty but feel a micro bus would be more my rig.

I'm looking for something around the 74-78 with preferably a 2 litre donk. Happy for the body to be a bit so so, but would prefer something which is reasonably sound mechanically. At this atge I'll take what I can find.

I look forward to chatting with you all here.

Cheers

Daffman

10. kaye and rex

kaye and rex New Member

Welcome Daffman70
    as a new kombi owner I have had such alot of help here and I'm sure that you will find them all so very helpful to you to, glad that you have joined us

cheers

Kaye

11. Van Housing

Hey Daffman! Welcome to the Kombi Club, you'll find that this forum can provide you with plenty of assistance in choosing the right bus. Welcome aboard, and keep us updated on your search.

12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Lloyd at Volkswerke is a Kombi enthusiast and has the knowhow for bays etc. Give him a ring to see if he can help. Has done lots of work on my bay over the years and will be replacing ball joints on our 79 bay soon.

13. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Whoopps! Forgot to say welcome to the Kombi Fraternity Del. A few from NE of Melbourne getting on board.
    Shouldnt ask but who shouldnt we go to for VW advice??

14. daffman70

daffman70 New Member

Thanks Kaye and Woz for the welcome. Already had a couple of reply's so I'm pumped about the comments etc already.

Cheers

Daffman

15. rogerthedog

rogerthedog New Member

roger the dog

Hello all.
    Looking to buy a kombi but have no knowledge of the subject so I'll stick around here and learn some stuff.

16. brookie

brookie Guest

You will get plenty of advice here and would get more if you posted location in Profile- Just go to CP and modify

17. rogerthedog

rogerthedog New Member

Ok cool - will do!

18. Van Housing

Welcome to the Kombi Club! Hey, why have you got a picture of me as your avatar??? :)

This is a great place for you to find out information before you purchase - simply ask away, and no doubt someone will know the answer; post pix of your future bus before you commit. There are also plenty of useful threads to search through, with handy info. We have a mix of members, from professional VW restorers to newbie owners, so no question either easy or hard is without interest.

Catchya around!

19. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Welcome

Welcome to a great site. Good luck with your search. Have a look at the members rides photos too.

20. rogerthedog

rogerthedog New Member

Thanks. Nice welcome.
    HV - It's definately me. You can tell by the hair cut :)