1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Skills During COVID Lockdown….?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by oldman, Jul 1, 2021.

1. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Will do Grant ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

2. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

I am impressed with the set it makes me think of updating the little uni mig that I purchased in the early 1990's and has done a million miles of welding. Like a few others I tried the .6mm wire and had loads of problems with it slipping , jamming,splatter blocking the nozzles, .8mm works well, I purchased a small gas bottle about 6 years ago and now find they have to be sent away to be filled so they are trying to get rid of them, next fill I will upgrade to the bigger size.
    Don't forget the safety aspect as in flamables within the spark area and a decent fire extinguisher that is easily accessable just in case, one spark will travel to hidden places with disastrous results. Happy welding.

oldman likes this.
  3. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Did the set up come with a throttle pedal for the TIG? Someone was telling me about their 3/1 set up that they could use the pedal with the MIG function to alter the weld intensity as required to avoid melt through when doing thin material and aluminium .... my uni mig is only gas/gasless/stick, so no pedal, but I bought a high frequency set up on evilbay that did TIG and stick and came with a pedal, never got to try it because it went bang using it as stick welder and it's in the pile of dead stuff at back of the shed waiting for me to fix it .... along with a few other mig machines and plasma cutters ...
    I'd love to learn aluminium TIG, I need another machine for that and a crap load of electrodes .... I shake so much I can't seem to keep the tip out of the weld pool :oops:

T1 Terry

4. oldman

No Terry, anything Tig related is an add on…..
    However, weld intensity can be dialled back to suit the material/operator preference….
    I have a birthday coming up soon and I’ll be dropping hints for Tig gear and a spool gun. ;)
    The one thing that bothered me a bit, (it’s a Virgo thing…..), was that the top tray of the trolley was about 10mm too short to fully support the unit …..in the previous pic. you’ll see I had put a couple of pieces of timber underneath to give it support…..but I was not really that happy with the setup so, …..down to the shed and I found an off cut of heavy, checker plate aluminium.
    1/2 an hour with a grinder and wire brush and the trolley looks more like a welding unit :D
    19368DBD-4AC7-4BFA-A161-D9589E91F8B7.jpeg

Much happier now ! ……if only the wind would die down so I could spark it up……:rolleyes:

364C5B0E-4820-4771-B531-DBB7119747C1.jpeg

Cheers,
    Mark

5. T1 Terry

I see you have removed the handle, my Uni-mig has the Mig cable sitting on top of the handle and it fits tight with no risks of the thing falling off when dragging it around the shop. I bought my Uni-mig s/h and discovered the thread that holds the hose to the machine was stuffed and wouldn't hold the hose tight onto the machine. Jamming it against the trolley handle and held up on top of the handle seems to have solved the previous issues. The "gotcha's" of buying second hand I guess.

T1 Terry

oldman likes this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Can’t be that much wind blowing through your kitchen……:rolleyes:

7. oldman

…no handle on this trolley mate…..it was a “one size fits all” type of thing.
    There are holes for a handle mount, so I might make that a project ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

8. oldman

Ohhhh yeaaaahhhh…….that’d be up there with the parts in the dishwasher :D
    Cheers,
    Mark

MAP77 likes this.
  9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Thought that would be up there with, if we don't hear back you know what's happened.;)

oldman likes this.
  10. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

I've got the same trolley.
    Added a handle either side and one on the front so I'm pulling the trolley not the welder.
    upload_2021-7-28_12-32-50.png
    Drilled through the tray and bolted the welder to it using door stops as spacers to stop the welder sliding down to the gas cylinder.
    PR

oldman likes this.
  11. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

I might have bought the Unimig equivalent of your Cigweld unit too. ;)
    PR

oldman likes this.
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

When powder coating in the kitchen oven , don't select 'fan forced' ;)

13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Does’t it give better heat distribution.:confused:;)with the fan on:rolleyes:

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Blows the powder off .
    Rotisserie would be fine. :)

Wayne murray and oldman like this.
  15. Kazz

Kazz Well-Known Member

Time to add some sides to that new carport and turn it into a garage !!

oldman likes this.
  16. oldman

Currently looking into drop down clears…….;)
    DA condition was it was not to be enclosed……..nothing was mentioned about drop downs…….
    Cheers,
    Mark

17. oldman

Terry’s mention of a handle got me thinking………
    I didn’t really want a single position, fixed handle, so I played around with some kombi parts and made this:

6715452E-B2C5-4524-87CD-308BC37BC390.jpeg

Fixed to the trolley using existing holes, spring washers and lock nuts, this will stay in position wherever I move it….and swings down, out of the way when needed.

Any guesses as to what kombi spare part was used to make the handle ?
    No cutting, drilling or filing…….just bent and painted.;)
    Shouldn’t be too hard……
    Cheers,
    Mark

Wayne murray and Grantus like this.
  18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Watching the daily Gladys and Kerry show today, at 11am on ABC News 24……….

You should be a very proficient welder, by the time lockdown ends….o_O

oldman likes this.
  19. oldman

Fortunate indeed that I retired recently and have plenty to do to keep me busy without having to venture out much, beyond the beach…..;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

20. T1 Terry

I guessing you are using the co pilot as the anti roll away device :lol: It doesn't take them long to figure which is the forward moving end, so they can have a sleep at that end knowing you will wake them up before you move away too far ;)

T1 Terry

oldman likes this.