1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to the kombi life

Discussion in 'New Members' started by 74Splitty, Mar 1, 2019.

1. 74Splitty

74Splitty New Member

Hi guys n girls, this is my new love, a 1974 Brazilian Kombi, my children have named him “Karlos” he needs a bit of love but very happy to be a part of the kombi world. (This pic was taken 1 hour after picking it up, Broken down, bearing material in the sump)

C5ADD5E3-7504-4CFB-94AE-B2EE4D76ADBC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2019
  2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Welcome. I know exactly how you feel! My first breakdown was 40 minutes after driving away from the seller.

74Splitty likes this.
  3. 74Splitty

74Splitty New Member

Hi there, I was furious at the time, but have now calmed down it is home safe in the shed with the engine out, and just looking at different options and where to go from here. Can’t wait to have it on the road.

4. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Welcome Karlos (and your new family). All kombis of such a fine vintage will have a few problems, it is to be expected, but you are very good looking and I look forward to seeing you out and about soon! :)

74Splitty likes this.
  5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome to the KC and the world of kombing You have been initiation into it first hand. Hope that your fixed up as soon as possible and running again in no time so you can enjoy the ride wherever it takes you .

74Splitty likes this.
  6. 74Splitty

74Splitty New Member

Thank you I can’t wait

7. 74Splitty

74Splitty New Member

Haha a few problems indeed, but I have nothing but time to tinker away and get him to the stage I want.

Van Housing likes this.
  8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club! :)

They will test your patience, until you get them sorted enough, to then enjoy the ride............;)

74Splitty likes this.
  9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

G’day And welcome

Love the colour.

Nice sunset as well

74Splitty likes this.
  10. 74Splitty

74Splitty New Member

Karlos is good from a far but far from good haha the sunset was nice that day. I had all afternoon and most of the night to admire it haha. (9hr wait for my dad to rescue me)

11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi 74Splitty & welcome to the Kombi Club. With a start like yours it can only get better from here;).
    Bus looks good:).
    Cheers

74Splitty likes this.
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Hope he was priced accordingly and not at split prices that some of the import flippers expect.
    Lanolin may be your friend ;)
    Regardless. Enjoy .

13. 74Splitty

74Splitty New Member

I’m honestly not Sure what a good price would have been, I see even Brazilian splitty for really high prices. This has a lot of little cosmetic old car things but I paid around the range of what people are asking for good looking single screen komi’s. I’d be a lot happier with karlos if the engine atleast lasted the trip home but these things happen.

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Pm sent
    Click on " inbox" at top functions bar.
    Price is very dependent on actual condition.
    Yep, I have also seen dreamers asking aussie split prices for quite inaccurate to downright crap overseas " resto's".

15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the party that never ends :cool:

If you were happy to pay what you did then the price was a good price for you :rolleyes: ..... a shame it broke down & all the best for the adventure ahead ;)

74Splitty, TeeBee and tintop like this.
  16. Marzy

Marzy Active Member

Welcome 74splitty!

Shame about the first drive, but it happens... the bus looks very neat. Great colour! Enjoy the ride!!

74Splitty likes this.
  17. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Is it registered in n.s.w. yet? Heard its a bit tricky to get one done due to the year of manufacture an the government saftey requirements no meeting its requirements.
    Cheers

74Splitty likes this.
  18. 74Splitty

74Splitty New Member

Hi mate not registered as yet, I haven’t got that far along, I have talked to an engineer in Newcastle so far and he didn’t mention anything. But it’s only early days. Could you shed a bit more light on that please. I’m hoping it’s not too much drama.

If full rego is a problem I will be chasing the club or historic rego hopefully that can get me over the line. All the engineer mainly mentioned was normal obvious rego stuff, other than that fit different tail light and front blinker lenses, and seat belts, but yeah club or historic will be my next options

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  19. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I think it's a drama if the the engineer or someone wants to make it difficult. Can that engineer do a Blue Slip?

20. 74Splitty

74Splitty New Member

So I talked to my rego inspector before I even picked the kombi up. Pretty straight forward guy and he was straight up get it engineered 1st then he will inspect for rego. Rather then getting it inspected then sent to an engineer. As soon as I said it was an import he said I need it engineered. Not sure if this is the case but I trust him and what he says goes with me.

I’m not sure if the engineer does blue slips but I rang (David Peebles automotive engineering Services Newcastle) he seemed easy going and great to talk to, just said to bring it down for an initial inspection for $150. He will go over the car, give me a list of repairs, go through it so I understand then send me away to fix it up, and take it back for re-inspection once I’m done.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    TeeBee, melissa and cbus like this.