1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newby resto

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by kombihope, Jul 10, 2016.

1. kombihope

kombihope New Member

Took delivery of my first ever Kombi yesterday, '79 camper, I knew that it had rust before I put down my hard earned so now I have the task ahead of me to remove / treat as best I can to restore it to its former glory. I'm thinking along the following lines :-
    1. Deap surface rust...remove back to unaffected steel and lead filling to restore the surface.
    2. Flat rusted out sections....cut away all destroyed material and replace with new metal.
    3. Curved rusted out sections ....cut away all destroyed material and replace with replacement panels.
    My questions are,
    1. Thickness of new sheet for flat sections?
    2. Is there a specification for the type of steel?
    3. Where is the best place to obtain new replacement panels.?
    4. Would it would be better to use new panels or cuts from donor vehicles ( are new panels true / accurate to shape / profile? )
    5. Has anyone here heard of or have knowledge of inspection cameras to check hidden areas, I've been told that there are some that can be attached to a mobile phone but I can't find any info on them?
    6. I've found ( didn't know about this before I bought it ) that the bottom track for the sliding door is badly damaged, today the door actually fell off when I slid it open, can this be replaced with a ready made section or would I need to manufacture it from scratch, I'll also need a new wheel carriage for the bottom, best place to get these?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Don.

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Best place to start looking for panels and anything else you're after for your '79 is here http://www.thebusstop.com.au/busstore/sections/12/panels/ - the bus stop is Kombi focused in what they sell, quality the best they can source and happy to answer any questions nto to mention fast, efficient and friendly service and delivery.

3. Jim981

Jim981 Member

Recommend a full soda blast on the rust with Epoxy primer to coat over it. It will be easy to find after that, but won't get any worse. After that, start looking for what panels you can get for those areas, and get that done first. Get to VW heritage, Bus Stop and Just Kampers websites and order catalogues if you can. The panels are never a perfect fit/ replacement, but are better than nothing. After that, you start custom rolling/ bashing steel sheet to fit, or look for a shell to cut up.

Good luck, keep the pictures/ updates rolling in. PAy very close attention to anywhere covered by rubber in the side windows. The rubber dries out and the water is trapped there to start corroding. Mine is like a huge steak knife it's so bad.

James

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a challenge but also sounds like you can do a bit yourself. Lots of nasty surprises when camper pop top is removed. Good luck with the project.
    Some pics would be good..

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Avoid klokkenholm panels where possible.
    Especialy front wheel arches, steps, anything with a deep curved pressing.
    Sills and lower slider door repair sections ok.
    Get the best sections avail. It will pay dividents.
    Repair steel thicknesses usualy 0.9 and 1.2 mm . zinc anneal works well.

Get right into inner sections and replace as much as required.

Dont wasre time lead filling.

Clean and acid metal with phosporic acid as per instructions. Especialy the wiping off .
    Prime with a 2 pac then bog over that.

Properly removing or treating rust and getting into seams then rustproofing after is paramount.

Buy a couple of good resto books.

StevieVW likes this.