1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sparks...

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Ian and Shelley, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Active Member

Hi

Just replaced spark plugs plug leads distributor cap ( did not replace rotor arm as ordered wrong one) and rechecked points...

No we have no spark at all

Just bought and installed a new coil and still no spark, I have tested and we have power to coil ?

Any suggestions on what to test or check next?

Thanks Ian and Shelley

2. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Replied on your other post but as mentioned above, check condenser joined to points wire.
    Good practice to clean new points with some thinners or similar and cotton bud or corner of rag.
    Alternatively a bit of fine sandpaper.

Supposedly can have a protective layer of varnish.
    Don't know if its true but this has sorted non firing previously so I do it as a matter of course

Ensure condenser wire connected to - negative terminal of coil.

Check that the fine braid connecting the moveable base plate of dissy to dissy body is intact.

To check for spark at points ign must be on and points closed prior to opening by hand.

4. reelmick

reelmick Member

to check spark ,have ignition on have points closed remove coil lead from cap hold near any metal push open and shut points with screwdriver , spark should jump to earth also if it jumps to rotor ,rotor is faulty

5. Ian and Shelley

We are getting somewhere..

Rechecked all wire and all connections, starting from the battery.
    The battery's old braided earth lead wasn't looking to flash so pulled that out and replaced with new cable and connectors.
    No immediate fix but much more reliable 12 V across all readings.

Onto the distributor and coil...
    Discovered the condenser, which is attached to the side of distributor is a little bit loose and wobbles about plus its wire was a little corroded. Fitted new wiring from coil to condenser and YIPEEEE we have a spark..

Spark at coil centre cable but still nothing at plugs or plug leads..

I am thinking my dodgy condenser or rotor cap to be replaced and we may be almost there ...

but getting hold of VW kombi spares on a Sunday in the central; coast is a struggle...

6. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Ian, if you have spark at the coil high tension lead, then follow that down to the distributor cap - spring loaded contact at top that touches the rotor...then the rotor provides spark to each of the plug leads as it rotates. You are nearly there :)

7. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

It’s also possible to put the dizzy cap on not quiet right :rolleyes:

Or arse about

8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes the carbon block, on the captive spring, inside the top of the dizzy cap can be cracked/buggered.
    This can cause resistance/loss of current.
    Had it happen to my son's kombi......replaced the cap and all good again.
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

I've learned to buy 2 caps when I buy a new one. That way I've always got a new spare. One of each common replacement is a sure way to cover when the next one breaks or wears out. Possily Being 3 days to a weeks freight from the east coast is a factor. :oops:

David H and Mordred like this.
  10. Ian and Shelley

It was all my fault, the small wire inside the distributor, it looks like I moved it too close to points so that it was unearthing through the body of the dizzy body....

If I had looked properly first time I would.have saved myself 2 weeks of frustration...

Thanks again

Mordred and David H like this.
  11. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

It's always the simple things thg cause us the most grief.

At least your moving again :)

I'd hate to think about the number of times Id over looked something simple ....

David H likes this.