1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No wave!!!

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by DR DAN, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Oh Dakdak. You're an apologist for non-wavers. Non waving is a scourge on the Kombi community, eroding the very essence of what we stand for.

I myself enjoy waving to all camperans, large and small. Some of the grey gonads in quarter of a million dollar Winnies are visibly disturbed.

2. dakdak

dakdak Member

i had to look up'' apologist'' dingostrategy all said togue in cheek ,i look forward to waving and flashing my lights when the resto is finished,infact i am going to put a picture of a kombi in front of my bus sit in it and practice waving

3. Doody

Doody Member

Just returned from three weeks in Tassy. Saw heaps of Kombis, almost all bays. Only one did not return the wave. A couple even appeared to be so enthusiastic that they rolled down the window especially. Really made our day each time.

Our 78 Camper handled the roads, hills and bends with no problem. We even drove the length of the unsealed Western Explorer Road without incident.

Tried waving to the terrified cyclists travelling the same road but they were hanging on for dear life with both hands!

4. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

me too ;) But seriously, gotta wave!

5. crave

crave New Member

Saw an old Beetle yesterday coming down the road the other way. Thought it was my friend but then realized it had a P-plate on it. As she drove past we both waved at each other. She looked pretty young and she had the biggest smile on her face. I was thinking this might be her first car and she was so excited to get a wave back. Perhaps I was her first ... wave that is !!!

6. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I got a wave on the weekend from a young guy drivibg a T5 was not expecting that one at all but good to see non the less.

Pitty it wasnt pretty young girl :eek:

7. evsky

evsky Member

I got a wave last week from a t4 driving next to me i was in a hilux but i did have a motor on the back made me laugh some people spot them easy.
    Hey saabman do u have any pics of your army van? Mine is exarmy just after info on the army specs and how they looked that sort of thing.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  8. Jabobo

Jabobo New Member

I got three Kombi waves this morning.. and a 'cool Kombi mate', which makes up for the one Kombi I did pass that didn't wave today.

There has been a Kombi wave drought on the Gold Coast latey... Perhaps the drought has broken lol

9. Jabobo

Jabobo New Member

And another on the way home...

10. charlesjhey

charlesjhey New Member

Had a really funny experience the other week, was at the traffic lights with a toyota van next to me and the guy was checking out montgomery and nodded in appreciation and smiled and i got really excited and gave him a big wave and a thumbs up.. only to have to sit there for a good 2 minutes before the lights changed.. was a long two minutes but i thoroughly enjoyed the wave and acknowledgement even if it wasnt from a VW!

Have got my friends in on the wave aswell when ever someone sees a fellow kombi on the road they're yelling KOMBI to make sure everyone knows!

Its part of what you buy into when you buy a kombi!

:) Charlotte

11. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Good stuff Charlotte.

12. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Firstly ,apologies to DakDak for stealing most of his name, very sorry mate i wasn't aware this name was in use already!! .
    On the topic of waves and general chitchat ,i've been Kombi 'less' for about 8 years but recently grabbed a 67 13 window, and on my first day driving her i had people waving and smiling like crazy!. All the great memories of driving a kombi came flooding back very quickly.. nice .
    I didn't see much of the 'peace' sign years ago but it seems to be very popular now! cracks me up for some strange reason, let's say it's growing on me.
    I've gotta say that driving a Split attracts sooo much attention, at the lights i only look straight ahead now! had a funny Indian dude in a delivery van hanging out of his window on the freeway taking photos with his phone! very funny indeed.
    Quite often at the traffic lights someone will be telling me about their, Dads/pops/uncles/cousins, Splitty from years ago, 30 second conversations about Kombis are quite funny. Im amazed how many smiles this car puts on peoples faces, a welcome change to the agro and rage i usually see in and about Melbourne.. think it's going to a fun summer, over and out.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011
  13. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Dakdak67, far from over mate....far from over :D Cheers, mark

14. okymura

okymura Member

Driving the Holden Astra the other day and waved at the passing Kombi then realising I'm not in mine...Whoops

15. Lottie

Lottie New Member

me too!! waving like a mad woman at the weekend to a beaut kombi, got a very odd look back....I was in my car :D saying that, there was a young girl who waved whilst walking and gave me the thumbs up, guessing she new someone with a kombi :)

So, what is the official wave then, V sign, frantic wave or the thumbs up ...or who the hell cares so long as we do at least one!!

Deb

16. roqsta

roqsta Member

In Katoomba we get out and have a chat! I think I pretty much know most of the Kombis around town so it is good to go on a road trip chasing the fresh waves. Cant wait to get on the road again.
    Paul

17. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Guest

Personally I always give the Peace sign cause I think it so goes with my DaisyGirl. Liss

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
  18. Bron&Bill

Bron&Bill New Member

Just plain rude.......!

19. grasabi

grasabi Member

I've been a bus driver for a week, and y'all wave :) love it! Even been feelin' the love from some bug drivers.... I almost feel bad for looking down on them :p (I can't help it!).

20. KombiDamo

KombiDamo New Member

I love the fact that everyone rags on the people who dont wave to them from other Kombis.
    Here is another point of view. Driving in my kombi down the road, didnt spot another kombi until too late, Poor bloke waved, but I didnt see him until too late, and had no chance to wave.
    Im looking forward to when he starts whinging about not getting a wave from me on this thread :p