1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

noise engine advice needed :)

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by saffron, Mar 10, 2007.

1. saffron

saffron New Member

Hi Guys,
    I have a 76 bus with a 1800 engine in it ,apparently the engine is only 3 years old and I have had it for two years.
    Now the problem is that it sounds like a tractor . Any ideas on what could be causing this? I have had the tappets adjusted through a tune up yesterday and the baby keeps singing like an old farmhouse favorite. Also the engine uses no oil and is never hot .
    Any advice is very welcome before the chickens move in.
    :)
    Saff

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

If its still got lots of grunt then hitch it in front of the plough also check exhaust manifold/ gasket .

3. brookie

brookie Guest

What type of muffler does it have-stock full width or pipes and hot dog style?

4. saffron

saffron New Member

Hi Doc and Brookie,
    I will try the plough hehe. It has a standard exhaust ,seems like everything is secure . I can take it to an exhaust person on monday . Thank you so much for all the advice. One more quick question is it something I should worry about or just turn up Cat Stevens?
    :)

5. brookie

brookie Guest

Did the guy who did tuneup comment? Was he a VW mechanic?

6. saffron

saffron New Member

Hi Brookie he said its when you cant hear the tappets you need to worry . I went to vw salvage.
    but the noise sounds like tappets and is getting worse . maybe i am just a worried parent.

7. Aging Surfie

Aging Surfie New Member

Is it at crank shaft speed or cam shaft speed (cam shaft speed is half Crank shaft speed) It may be a loose cam gear as some are riveted to the shaft not bolted. If this is the case it should be ok for years or so I'm told.

Deano

8. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

OK... Deano makes a good point about cam gears. Type 4 camshafts are crap so a loose cam gear would not be a surprise at all! :D

Before pulling the engine down however, I reckommend spending a few bucks on a new set of tappet adjusting screws.

Even tho the tappets were adjusted... presumable to the factory 6 and 8 thou clearances, this does not mean they are adjust correctly. After a period of time, the constant hammering of the tappet screws against the valve stems starts to pocket the inside of the screw tip.

WHat this means is that when the clearances are adjusted, the feeler gauge will give a false reading as it will give a clearance value judged on the closest point of the screw to the valve stem tip, which is the outer edge of a pocketed screw rather than the convex tip of a good adjusting screw. on a worn screw with a pocketed tip, the inside inner surface of the screw tip, the bit which makes contact, is effectively further away from the top of the valve stem than edges are. Hence even if you adjust the clearance to 6 or 8 thou with a feeler gauge, the clearance could be anywhere up to 15-20 thou with really worn screws, which will leave you wih noisy tappets and an engine that sounds like a little grey fergie! :D

If they are left for ages they can damage the valve stem tips too.

So I'd replace the screws first, readjust tappets, and see if it makes an improvement. If not, the next line of enquiry would be cam gear... not sure how well advised it is leaving a bad cam gear on for years. lol

CHeers!

9. saffron

saffron New Member

Thank you so much for all the great advice . I will replace the screws firstly . once again I am so greatful for aqll the help , everyone have a fantastic week.
    Saffron:)