1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

noisy engine/rocker gear

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Jakey, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Jakey

Jakey New Member

G'day guys, what your thoughts> I just replaced push rod seals in my kombi and put new oil in. Is it normal to hear some tapping sound when i first started it? Obviously there was no oil in push rod tubes so I'm guessing i wait for the engine to circulate the oil and noise to go away. I had it running 20 seconds and just turned it off. I didn't want it to damage the engine. Cheers : )

2. Jakey

Jakey New Member

ok had it running for a bit longer. oil levels are ok but something is making a hell of tap. Did i put something in back to front. Help !!!

3. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Have you tightened the rockers back down properly, one of the push rods might not have been seated properly

4. Jakey

Jakey New Member

99 % sure they are tightened properly and 99% sure they are seated properly. I even put the retaining spring back in properly. Just second guessing now that the rocker covers are back on and I filled it back up with oil. : (

5. splitbus

Did you put each push rod back in the same place it came from, have you done a tapper adjustment

6. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

I once had a circlip break while mobile which let the end rocker travel along the pin a little bit, making it misaligned with the end of the pushrod - made a hell of a racket. The RACQ guy just pushed it back and retained it and away I went...

7. Jakey

Jakey New Member

Hey guys, i have been busy playing around with the kombi lately doing lots of little jobs. However the biggest job was putting a new timber floor in her. Pics will be uploaded tomorrow. Now for the annoying bit. I checked my push rod tubes they are all seated fine. But i did find my problem, one of the rockers were loose as a........well you get my drift. Now checked cylinder 1 all good and are moderately grabbing the 0.006 feeler gauge. Now my new problem!!!! When turning the engine anti clockwise to work on the next cylinder no. 2. It stops 20mm short of 180 degree mark and does not want to go no more. Im pulling my strong arm so hard the belt is sliding on the pulley. So i tried the bolt on the fan housing and loosened the bolt. The engine is out of gear. I have 3 cylinders to go and the engine does not want to go anti clockwise no more : ( any ideas : )

8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Double check that you're out of gear........start her up in neutral, then turn the ignition off. Don't touch the gear stick & start adjusting again. PITA 'cause you'll have to re-fit the rocker covers but at least you'll know it's nothing sinister if it all works......

9. Jakey

Jakey New Member

it was working yesterday when i parked her up : (

10. splitbus

Bent, stuck open valve:umm:

11. Jakey

Jakey New Member

it was a misalinged pushrod few!!!!!!!! you were right nikferatu. onwards and upwards i go.

12. Trav&Ren

Trav&Ren Member

Bugger, misaligned pushrod was going to be my suggestion as I was reading through this thread.
    Ah well, good to know I would have been right and that you've fixed it.
    Trav