1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Northern Beaches Run 2020 16th Feb

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Whitie, Jan 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitie

Whitie Well-Known Member

Past beaches run we stopped at Mona Vale Beach & then continued to palmy, but typical for this time of year parking at palm beach for 30 kombi's is difficult to find & convoy gets separated
    So I propose this year we meet at Tania Park cruise the beaches to Newport Beach carpark, here there's lots of parking with many options for food, coffee, surf, etc
    We could continue to Palmy later with a loop around Sth Palmy (bus route 199) and return to Newport for the keen.
    Involving council can be a headache as they could consider it an 'event' thous requiring public liability insurance, barriers, parking marshals etc, remember we are just a bunch of kombi enthusiasts going for a drive.
    Any thoughts on Newport?
    Tony

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    John and Luckyphil like this.
  2. John

John Member

Sounds good. As you say Parking will be at a premium at Palmy. Swim/surf/coffee etc at Newport sounds good. Then we can think about challenging the 'bends" with all the other Sunday drivers. Either way a cruise will be great.

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Keep it simple.
    Personally, I don't think Newport will offer any more parking than Palm Beach on a Sunday......and we'll have to block Barrenjoey road in order to cross into the car park entrance.:eek:
    Gotta remember that Nippers is in full swing too and Newport has a very strong, very popular surf club membership....

I reckon continue through to Palmy, enter the car park via the lower entrance for parking, near the golf course....

If there's not enough, do a loop back to Newport but only if there's room there....we'll see as we drive past. ;)
    At least we'll be on the correct side of the road for the left hand turn off into the car park.
    Gonna P O a lot of people though, as Barrenjoey rd. is only one lane in each direction at the Newport entrance......
    Just sayin'.....:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

Jethro and Whitie like this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Just excited for their first cruise I suspect :D & VERY pleased;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  5. John

John Member

Makes a lot of sense Mark. Sunday in Feb on Northern Beaches will be crowded, even in the rain (!).Either way a good cruise with a lot of VW's is always good fun.

David H, Whitie and oldman like this.
  6. Whitie

Whitie Well-Known Member

Yeah Mark's prob right with traffic issues entering & leaving Newport SC, so howbout we just keep it as per usual.
    Meet Tania Park, coffee n chat at Mona Vale SC then cruise through Palmy with option for lunch at Newport SC.;)
    Cheers, Tony

Jethro, David H, John and 2 others like this.
  7. David H

We are IN:D. Excited to see how Sydney does a northern beaches cruise:cool:. Never been out that way.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Elsie 76 and Wayne murray like this.
  8. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

We’re just happy to join the cruise and follow the komvoy where ever it goes :)

David H likes this.
  9. Zip

Zip Member

Tony .. Mona Vale SC won't work. we tried that last time and there were no park spaces on a Sun morn.
    Let's keep the conversation going as we have 3 weeks. I think straight to Palmy is just too far (and long to all get seperated and without a coffee). Other options for a mid stop may be:
    - Lakeside Park at Narrabeen
    - Porter Reserve Newport Rugby field -- opp Newport Beach on the Left side of the rd up the hill
    - Soccer fields at Avalon - Hitchcock Park -- past the bends but is empty in summer

cheers .. Zip

10. oldman

Personally, I feel that a straight run and park would be preferable to a run, coffee, back into (increased) weekend traffic and then trying to find a park around midday, which it will be by the time we get to Palmy,with a break.
    This area is my back/front yard and the traffic has reached new levels, given the temperatures lately.
    Having said that, I’m happy just to be on the run ;) wherever we go.
    BTW, Hitchcock is used on both days of the weekend...........and if you're at Hitchcock, Palm Beach is only another 5 min. north.....:D
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Whitie and Barry like this.
  11. oldman

definately !!
    Cheers,
    Mark

Borgey and Jethro like this.
  12. Kazz

Kazz Well-Known Member

Looks like we’re in. Michael and Kazz. Insync.

Non stop to Palmy suits .......I’m pretty sure last Beaches Run coincided with a Fun Run that started from Palmy so that a lot of the runners cars were there to be picked up after the event.

Whitie and oldman like this.
  13. Whitie

Whitie Well-Known Member

Traditionally Nth Beaches run has a mid stop at MV surf club, which has been fine but by the time we get to Palmy its packed out & we get split up in all directions.
    A direct run to Palmy, although slightly longer run, may get us a nice spot looking over the surf before the crowds move in.
    Mark's correct, local weekend traffic has progressively increased to insane levels, gotta to get to the beach early for parking, especially 30 -40 odd kombis.
    Open to suggestions,
    Hands up for direct run to Palmy?

14. David H

No local knowledge but it sounds like straight thru is best & it keeps the komvoy together as best can be.
    Cheers

Whitie likes this.
  15. oldman

Direct -run......hand up !
    Cheers,
    Mark

Whitie and John like this.
  16. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I'll be guided by the local experts on this.:rolleyes:

Whitie likes this.
  17. oldman

It’s going to be busy no matter what........Only way to get a park up here.....is to park early.
    As I said, it’s up to the kombi gods:D
    Cheers,
    Mark

Whitie and Jethro like this.
  18. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Is you fridge stocked up @oldman ;) only kidding:D

Whitie, Jethro and oldman like this.
  19. John

John Member

Direct sounds like the way to go. although as discussed in this thread traffic is sure to be crap by the time we hit around Newport. Will need to ensure the default AC is working (all windows open !!)

Whitie, Jethro and David H like this.
  20. Whitie

Whitie Well-Known Member

Direct run it is then eh
    Second job just happens to be bus driver for STA, do the 199 Manly to Palmy 4 times a night, Friday nights are especially entertaining:eek:
    After a surf at Warriewood this morning decided to do some recon to Palmy around 10.30, Newport SC was packed out with nippers so its off the agenda, but Palmy had lots of available parking.
    Hoping David from Classic Coffee with his spittie coffee van will meet us at Palmy for those of us in need for our morning caffeine fix.
    Cheers Tony

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    mrfj55, Jethro, Wayne murray and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.