1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Northern Central Safari

Discussion in 'QLD' started by tillis, Apr 6, 2019.

1. tillis

tillis Active Member

Yayyy! two weeks off from duties and responibilities....itinery...Wreck rock north of Bundaberg then Blackdown tableland then Canarvon gorge....greedy huh? gotta ge back in time for Nimbin!

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

WOW...... great trip

Want to see some pics and camp sites

3. tillis

tillis Active Member

We're back! 3000k around central Qld or Capricornia as referred to a lot by locals

started off with four day at Wreck Rock

DSCN0290.JPG
    WP_20190411_001.jpg
    friendly locals..

WP_20190409_018.jpg

this guy liked his eggs raw and still in the shell

WP_20190409_010.jpg

all too soon time to move on...I wanted to show Karen my hometown...Gladstone.

Spent the day enjoying the sights and memories then where to stay? Barney point beach!

DSCN0309.JPG

you might make out the kombi tucked into those trees centre of picture, very quiet night and nice walk on the beach...water was very clean for such a busy port.

On the road again heading west...morning tea at Catfish Creek, a hangout in my teenage years

DSCN0324.JPG
    I think Karen is watching the cockatoos in the trees.
    We turned off the highway on to the old "Coal Road" over the Rainbow Range where My Dad hauled coal from the Callide mine 60 years ago

DSCN0328.JPG
    now the Callide Power Station uses that coal and they have provided a viewing platform which is handy for viewing your kombi

DSCN0331.JPG
    next stop Theodore

DSCN0343.JPG
    No we didn't stay at the pub although I was there opening day 60 years ago. We camped at the picnic ground at the end of town on the banks of Dawson River

DSCN0358.JPG

4. tillis

tillis Active Member

If we got the Kombi any closer to the river We'd be in it!

DSCN0350.JPG

In the 2011 floods this river reached a height 4.7 metres above ground level and people sought safety on the roof of the pub where they were airlifted by chopper!

Following the Dawson river next stop was on to Baralaba and the picnic spot there....so beautifully maintained and popular with the locals

DSCN0362.JPG

Ok enough of rivers lets head for the hills! Blackdown Tablelands, 800 metres above sea level

DSCN0440.JPG

Blackdown was very dry like the rest of the central west. Rainbow Falls was just a trickle but you can see in millenia past the dark scary hole the water has gouged out down below...Karen felt safe in the delicious rockpool at the top
    DSCN0441.JPG DSCN0438.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  5. tillis

tillis Active Member

We had two night at Blackdown and then down to the lowlands again...that drive up the mountains was as steep as it gets! we stopped overnight in a lovely rest area in Comet then on to Emerald and shopping to stock up. Went on to visit Fairbairn Dam nearby and it was a bit sad...the dam is only at 17% capacity!
    DSCN0453.JPG
    Just down the road is Springsure and "Virgin Rock"...apparently someone with a vivid imagination could make out Mother Mary and child in that rock formation

DSCN0459.JPG

We took the drive up into Minerva Hills nat park above and behind Virgin Rock...Wow a hard and rocky landscape but some interesting gorges

DSCN0472.JPG

On to the main event...Carnarvon Gorge! but we'd had a full day and weren't booked into Carnarvon til the following day so where to stay closeby?

Carnarvon creek about 20k downstream has an interesting memorial and I found a spot well hidden

WP_20190417_010.jpg

the memorial is for the wreck during WW2 of an american Dakota C47 in an extreme lightning storm. All lives lost...about ten Americans and ten Aussies...rip. WP_20190418_012.jpg
    It was a twin engine plane...each engine 14 cylinder 2000cubic inch aircooled(yayy!) 1400hp

WP_20190418_009.jpg

Nice night camped by the creek then on to Carnarvon in the morning!

David H, Ninga, Syncro27 and 4 others like this.
  6. tillis

tillis Active Member

Some wildlife on the way...emu...saw three Cassowary but wasn't quick enough to get picks

DSCN0483.JPG

We found our site and headed off for a days walk...I could only get one night booked its very busy at easter

DSCN0490.JPG

DSCN0492.JPG

DSCN0497.JPG

DSCN0504.JPG DSCN0518.JPG

The Art Gallery is awesome but there is seating to contemplate and towering right above is this killer waiting its chance!

DSCN0521.JPG

David H, Ninga, Syncro27 and 2 others like this.
  7. tillis

tillis Active Member

Being a gorge the walking makes you hot but there is nice pools to cool off

DSCN0522.JPG

a sige gorge is Wards Canyon...spectacular

DSCN0530.JPG

not much wildlife in the gorge at present due to devastating bushfires last year but it is coming back i was assured

DSCN0537.JPG

next morning while Karen had a well earned sleepin I had a little run up Boolimba Bluff...very steep climb lots of steps and ladders

WP_20190419_001.jpg

WP_20190419_003.jpg

at the top i took the iconic pic of the gorge....the white rock is the sandstone laid down as an inland sea 250 million years ago and the darker rock on top is basalt up to 300 metres thick spewed out by volcanos around 30 million years ago...make my 67 years insignificant!

WP_20190419_021.jpg

Ninga, David H, Syncro27 and 3 others like this.
  8. tillis

tillis Active Member

Two weeks is not enough and Karen just wanted to keep going...but time to go home for the present...left Carnarvon and bought pizza in Chinchilla and found a great spot to camp there by the billabong

WP_20190420_001.jpg

on the road home...stopped for morning tea at Warra....classic pub there

DSCN0540.JPG

hectic drive home as we approached Ipswich....driving rain and strong crosswinds....but made it home safe and the Kombi did a fantastic job...fridge is such a treasure now to clean all the bugs off and get ready for Nimbin!

68BUS, Whitie, Ninga and 6 others like this.
  9. No1 Rocket

No1 Rocket New Member

Looks like you had a fantastic time, Mel and i did a 4 week trip from home up to Tinnaroo dam and back again last august ,sept in our trusty t3.looking for more adventures in the future

David H likes this.
  10. tillis

tillis Active Member

No 1 Rocket post up pics and story of your trip or no-one will believe you...heheh just kidding but we all love pictures here!

oldman likes this.
  11. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Active Member

Looks like an awesome trip along with some fabulous country, thanks for sharing, cheers Greg

12. Martini olive Kombi

Martini olive Kombi New Member

We must of just missed each other.

We had 5 nights at Takaraka in the first week of the Easter holidays.

Drove from Noosa to Roma and had a nights rest then off to Carnarvon gorge.

On the way home did it one hit via Biloela. 800km over 11 hours all loaded up with trailer. Awesome adventure.

13. Martini olive Kombi

14. Martini olive Kombi

15. tillis

tillis Active Member

Nice Kombi! and what awesome country we have...I want to explore the Carnarvon back country more!

16. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Good on u mate ,luv the pics
    Any one who says it is not great is nuts .any idea what the name of the colour paint on yr bus is.???.
    Looks like Deep Brunswick Green .
    Same as mine.
    Not a common colour.

17. tillis

tillis Active Member

Hi Chris, currently my kombi is acrylic british racing green and I've still got a couple of litres left for spraying but yes will buy dulux metal paint in brunswick green to brush on in awkward places...it also sprays beautifully....heheh....good choice of colour! Rob

18. Martini olive Kombi

Can’t agree more.
    The five days was not enough time for us to have to see it all.

The day we did the 20km return track to big bend was the highlight. 4 parents and 3 kids 11/11/8 years old. Left at 9 back at 5 with no whining or whinging. Just a real sense of accomplishment. To not just see it but to be in it was the thing for me.

TeeBee likes this.
  19. tillis

tillis Active Member

Hi Martini Olive to big bend is a big hike in a day. If I go back next july volunteer ranger John has offered to guide me up some trails not generally offered to the public...The Ranch. Were all seven of you in the kombi? and all camping gear in trailer I assume?....Rob

20. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

I use Deep Brunswick Green Epoxy paint in a pressure pack can which is made by Wattle.An polish it with Mcguires polymer polish . The paint itself is very durable have now been using it for many years. Its great of you have to repair a panel for what ever reason n 1 can does one panel there abouts.cost is about $19 .