1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not happy

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by splitbus, Sep 4, 2009.

1. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

On my way home from work on thursday a bloke in a 4wd can't see a big white brick stopped at the lights, BANG, now the panel shop said they might wright it off, depends on market value :mad: :mad: :mad: Mike

Attached Files:

2. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Might not be too bad Mike.

If they right it off, you can collect the insurance, buy the bus back dirt cheap and fix it with some change left in your pocket. You might even get enough to respray the whole thing.

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Who are you insured with?

4. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

His fault his insurance, RACQ, I am with suncorp they said if I have any trouble to ring them, see how we go, got to take it to there assessor next week

5. whoaNellie

whoaNellie New Member

Gotta be pissed about that :(

6. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Ouchhhhhhh:( :( :(

7. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

wow, that really doesn't look to bad to me. I think I just bought a write off ;)

Fingers crossed it works out but otherwise with what Aspro suggested, does anyone know if thats possible? like can you buy back a write off?

8. kombihill

kombihill New Member

Hi.should be able to buy it back but you should make sure it is not put on the unrepairable write off registar.Wouldnt think so looking at it though.

9. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  10. Radar15

Radar15 Active Member

Yea I wouldnt think that would be a right off. Mabye they just dont like kombis :(

11. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Hey Mike sorry to hear about your bad luck.I gotta say she doesn't look to bad in the pics though.Some of the old Kombis we've all seen rescued and restored by members have looked way worse.

12. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

If they wright off, can you buy back from insurance company?

13. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Yes. But as explained above, to prevent stolen car rebirthing it can only be re-registered if it is declared a "repairable write-off" and not a "statutory write-off".

14. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

oops, sorry woz, i did not check that. silly me. smack.:lol:

15. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

I don't think they would write that off but I guess it could depend on your insured value. My wife works in insurance and she thinks, from the photos, it wouldn't be a write-off. The other party is obviously at fault anyway, so you should be able to claim off the other party anyway.

Baz

16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Offspring went through this just the other month.

Some bad driver, who just happened to be female, ran into the back of his Skyline import - similar damage, tail light moved in around 50mm under the boot, from where it used to be.

Other driver lodged the claim, and he took it to a repairer of their insurance company's choice.

Too expensive to repair, (even though it's still driveable & registered), so they offered him a cheque for $7850, and they keep the car, or $7050, and he keeps the car as a repairable write-off.

He took the latter, in disbelief that it could possibly be THAT expensive to fix.

Two quotes later, both over $8k, he has now decided that a straight $2k shell off Ebay or similar, and swap all the bits, may be the only option.

Even after pointing out what $7k would buy today, for a USEFUL (Kombi type) vehicle... :wtf:

17. sacky

sacky Member

sorry about your bad luck that can be fixed and dont let them tell you any diffrent . i bought a kombi with much the same damage repairable write off . if it is more than 15 years old it does not go over the pits re viv in vic but must have a road worthy. hope you have the same laws up there good luck.

18. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Carolin here in Melbourne had a dent in recent times and the insurance was going to write off until they accepted the current value of Kombi's. If the car is worth a lot more than the repair its harder to write off, or conversly if the repair is more than the car is worth, its a gonner. (Is that a word?) Get some prices for a replacement vehicle and talk with the insurer.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  19. Timma

Timma Member

Man, bad luck :( good luck with it.

20. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

that's no good to hear. i'm insured with Shannons and if they were to deem my Kombi to be un-repairable, I get the Kombi without having to pay a thing.

However, as others have said, it doesn't look too bad, so hopefully the nice insurers will fix it for you as good as new.