1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil “buzzer of doom”

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Nickpotts, May 30, 2020.

1. Nickpotts

Nickpotts New Member

Hey all,

so about a week ago my oil buzzer came on for a bit while driving and then went off. Then in the following days it has started to come back on randomly.

I have done a bit of reading and know it could be a false reading. Is there anyway I can check this?( I am a bit of a greenhorn and still learning how everything works). Otherwise if it is a true oil pressure problem is my best bet to take it to my mechanic? ( does anyone know what kind of $$ we are talking there).

Any help would be great!

Thank you all in advance

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

First thing to do, is check you have enough oil in there, and the level on the dipstick reads between the two marks, and preferably quite close to the top mark.

3. Nickpotts

Nickpotts New Member

Thanks for your quick reply. I should’ve mentioned that oil levels are all good and are on the higher side of the two markers

4. Grantus

The only times I’ve had the “buzzer of doom” fire up, was when it was low on oil, and the second time was a failed sensor, causing it to go off.

So if your oil levels are where they should be, I’d be replacing the sensors to see if it’s an oil pressure problem, or just a failed sensor problem.

Keep an eye on the temp gauge, coz if it is indeed an oil pressure problem, the temp needle could also rise.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I would go through the two oil pressure switches to ensure the contacts are clean.

Then as Grant says start replacing oil pressure switches - they are not expensive but they have different pressure settings and need to be correctly located. Fairly easy to replace with correct tools.

6. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

100% with Grant & Scott. It will be a loose connection or broken wire or even the pressure switch itself. It will be the one near the front pulley

7. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Hi Nick.
    Yes, as Phil says check for broken wire or bad connection...you could get the wire replace anyway, as it's in a very vulnerable spot....especially if it's original.
    New switches are cheap enough...good to carry as spares.

8. Nickpotts

Nickpotts New Member

Thanks everyone for replying. I appreciate it.

I thought it might be a failed sensor.

does anyone know of any “step-by-step” pages that show you how to check/change the sensors or if anyone would be so kind to take the time to explain it to me?

9. Luckyphil

Here you go
    https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=42

Nickpotts and Wayne murray like this.
  10. Nickpotts

Nickpotts New Member

11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

12. Nickpotts

Nickpotts New Member

Thanks for that Barry.

I am going to start on this today and give it a crack.

I do have to drive my van a bit over the next couple of days. If I was reading the article correctly could I disable the alarm by unplugging it behind the speedo?

Then just hooking it all back up once I get the parts ?

13. rowansnow

rowansnow Member

Thanks for posting Nick.

I am also having the same problem! Oil pressure light coming on intermittently. No problem with Oil levels in my van.
    So it could be the High-Pressure or the Low-Pressure switch, there are 2 switches on the later model Wasserboxers.

The JK site only stocks the low-pressure switch.

We will need to check with other Aussie vendors. Don't want to rely on thing coming from OS at the moment due to C-19
    I will do a ring around tomorrow. The switches are cheap and probably worth replacing anyway.

Cheers,

14. Nickpotts

Nickpotts New Member

All good, yeah overseas orders I expect will take a bit. I’m on my 7th week of waiting for something I order from the states.

If you come across any local shops that sell both or even just the high switch would you mind passing their details on?

Cheers

15. Nickpotts

Nickpotts New Member

I think I have found the culprit. Some worn wiring

Attached Files:

16. Luckyphil

Boom :)

grumble and oldman like this.
  17. Grantus

That’d do it..... ;)

18. Nickpotts

Nickpotts New Member

Alrighty so I am guessing it was the dodgy wiring setting it off.

I think the high oil pressure wire was attached (just barely) and ended up coming out just like the low one (which I think would’ve happened recently as I always notice the oil light flash with the key in just before I start it up).

With both wires out I took it for a drive and the buzzer still went off. I then took the chip out from behind the speedo (for the time being).

can anyone suggest my next move ?

19. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

......maybe I’m stating the bleedin’ obvious........rewire that connection ! :p
    I’m guessing that until that circuit is complete, the buzzer will keep going off.......
    I’m not familiar with T3 wiring, however in bays, those types of plugs are often shielding ordinary spade terminals. Easy enough to pull the disconnected terminal out, recrimp a replacement onto the cable and reinsert it into the block.
    Good luck, hope it is that easy;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

hairyman, Luckyphil and Barry like this.
  20. Luckyphil

It is that easy but perhaps he needs to use the van and is time poor. However the time spent disconnecting the buzzer circuit board pin would have been enough to fix the wires.

grumble and oldman like this.