1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil advice please

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by BrissyGeorge, Oct 16, 2013.

1. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Hi,

Time for the first oil change since I bought her. I am keen on the Aussie Penrite so I am going to use Penrite HPR 30 for the engine, mainly because of its high zinc content (about 1600ppm).

I figure that as its the first time I may as well do the gearbox as well - so the question is, can anyone recommend which oil, preferably Penrite, is the go for the gearbox please.

BTW, he is a 2.0litre manual

Finally do I need a special tool for the sump plug and gearbox?

cheers

George

2. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

George, good choice mate on the penrite. No special tool needed for sump plug mate, just a ring or box spanner. Gearbox will need a 17mm allen key.

3. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

I had been a loyal Penrite oil user (the orange one...) for many years but I have recently been told it's no longer any good for air cooled VW's (can't for the life of me remember why....) so the last time we did an oil change on Abby 1500king used the same oil he uses in his kombi.... it's a Mobil oil designed for air-cooled motorbikes......

Abby.75

4. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

We can prolly run this one till the cows come home. Every one is gunna tell you there oils is better than someone elses. Whats been running in your bus since youve had it? Then stick to it. Everyone is gunna have an opinion, the experts and the would bees.

5. BrissyGeorge

Hmmm,
    Brian and Cathy you are probably right re everyones opinion - bit like asking the people that went to Bathurst last weekend - which is the better car - Ford or Holden. - thanks though for the info re tools.

Thanks also to Abby, perhaps 1500king might like to throw his 20c in.

BUT, the recommended oil for the gearbox is still unanswered.

cheers

6. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

From memory about 7 years ago , i put 80/90 mobil in the then bus we had

7. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

I believe the bottle should have a reference to "hypoid suitable" or whatever. Wear your worst shirt on the day, that smell of gear oil never goes away... I think I used Valvoline last time, which is unusual for me as I steer clear of their engine oil but only had their brand of gear oil on the day I needed it.

If you don't have the allen key you are welcome to use mine if you're anywhere near Bracken Ridge (I bought one on a 1/2 inch socket which is a good way to go), otherwise Trade Tools usually have a good range of that stuff.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Gearbox = GL4 (not GL5)

9. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

If you're stuck for a 17 mm Allen key you can use a metric bolt with a 17 mm head and a couple 17 mm nuts jammed together with a suitable spanner; just make sure the drain plug hex socket is cleaned thoroughly so the bolt head fits snugly. Having said that the correct tool is cheap and the best way to go.

cheers, Tom

10. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

Penrite 80W90 hypoid http://www.cheapaautospares.com.au/rangedetail.php?id=539

11. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Hypoid 80w-90 for the manual trans and diff(Auto).

There was an issue with acidity in early GL5 oils, but isn't a problem these days.

No going to get into any debates about oils...but what I've been using for years is Mobil1 V-Twin 20w-50.
    I also like the fact you can get the stuff at any mobil servo if you need a top up, so don't need to look too hard.

Also a fan of Joe Gibbs DT-50 (15w-50). There are also a couple of good Mineral oils about (Brad Penn Green oil) but I prefer the synthetics.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  12. BrissyGeorge

Hi 1500king,

Now I really need advice - I went out yesterday and bought the oil - Penrite 30 for the engine but couldn't find and GL4 of the correct weight - the only GL4 Penrite was 75 - 80 so I ought it. There was plenty Penrite GL5 80/90 but I had been warned off the GL5 because it was evil for our gearboxes. Now you are saying GL5 is ok. Can you do a Pauline Hanson and ....please explain (please).

George

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I spoke to a Mobil oil expert at the Sydney Motor Show who said not to use GL5 in VWs or Porsches as it corrodes the synchro rings. VW also say GL4 in the owner's manual (1991).

14. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

The GL4 you have bought is just fine. VW does specify GL4 only for the manual trans(with 40 year old technology oils). The most important part is that it needs to be a "hypoid"oil for the hypoid bevel ring/pinion gears. To date , NO transmission builders have come forward with the mysterious "GL5 corrosion" issue to synchro rings. The entire transmission case is also magnesium alloy, making it a pretty good sacrificial anode against bronze alloys...We've all been looking for proof for years. Been using GL5-MT1 Penrite hypoid for years, no issues. On ALL the geaboxes I have pulled down, ALL synchro damage I have seen is physical, not chemical.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  15. kombivan

kombivan New Member

I use valvoline XLD plus in one of my T3's last 18 years no problem I change my oil every 3000k Could go to 10000k but I change early to keep my engine in better nick.
    My more recent T3 is running Penrite HPR30
    Auto Transmission gearbox is seperate from Diff Manual Transmission gearbox and diff same oil
    Auto Transmission oil
    Diff Mobilube GX 80w gl4 20 litre code 134989 phone 1300458237...........Valvoline Duragear 75w-85w gl4...........Castrol VMX 80 gl4.
    GL5 has higher sulphur content than GL4 sulphur eats brass synromesh gears or whatever is brass. MT1 gear oils are suppose to be ok these are newer oils.
    Gearbox oil same as diff above.
    spark plug B6ES also BR6ES will work.
    If you have noisy hydraulic lifter you may need a change of oil or some engine extend additive in the oil to get the lifter working properly.
    Distributor cap = 051905207
    rotor cap = 052905225c
    fuelfilter = 1ho 201 511A
    brake fluid 525
    headlight switch pn. vw-251941531M
    coolant inhibiter G11 replacement inhibiter if not available G12+ do not mix g11 & g12 flush the system before change type. capacity 17.5 litres
    oil filter z63 or wz63
    Fan belt 11A1105
    cam 025109101

16. chenko

chenko Member

17. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

chenko go to autobahn they normally stock the whole range of penrite fluids.

18. chenko

chenko Member

sweet thanks kai ....was just looking at their oils being gl5/mt1

read through a lengthy thread on samba.com about gl4/gl5 .....feel better about getting a gl5 newer oil now as the tranny rebuilders all recommending them including gene berg

19. chenko

chenko Member

another basic question

penrite only has 2.5L bottles which i can source nearby......will this be enough as seem to read i will need 3L

cant afford to buy 5L and not use most of 2nd bottle

spoke to mechanic he said 2.5L just enough

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014