1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil leak

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by BrissyGeorge, Oct 9, 2018.

1. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

I know, I know..................I`ve heard the yarns that oil leaks are really sweat dripping from all the horsepower yadda yadda yadda.............but really I think a newly reconditioned engine shouldn`t leak - period!

For the first couple of years of my ownership, Mr K dropped nothing on the garage floor - bit of rust dust perhaps but no oil. He eventually started to drip a bit and ultimately, because this may have been symptomatic of the pain he was in it led to an engine recon. Had it done by my local garage (no names yet) who have built up a bit of a reputation as the go to for VWs in the local area. They have been looking after Mr K for the last 4 years.

Anyway, long story short, I was really happy with the improvement in performance (going to a 2.1L did help) BUT there was a small oil leak. Back we went to the garage - they took him back and they removed the oil pump housing, resurfaced the impellor facings, put new gaskets in it and bobs your uncle.

Sadly, not really, as I still have a leak. They did say that the case has a minor oil seepage at the rear facings - possibly caused by porosity in casings or swaging.

I`m taking him back on Weds to have another crack - can someone please explain the oil pump bit and the porosity - fair dinkum or not?

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Is that where it is leaking?
    the rear oil pump / seal

Did they replace the pump in the rebuild?

3. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Barry,

The oil pump was replaced.
    I always assumed that the oil pump was internal and don`t quite understand how it could be causing a leak

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Can you post a pic?

The oil pump is driven off the can shaft and lives under a square plate that is “in front” (front is front) of the main pulley.

A lot easier to see on a type 1 motor.

5. tintop

tintop Member

it can leak past the oil pump gaskets if the faces aren't smooth....sounds like they've tried to address that. if they haven't sealed the two halves of the case properly that's a bigger job