1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Temp Gauge Questions

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by jeremybillett, Aug 7, 2014.

1. jeremybillett

jeremybillett Member

Hi Guys,

I already have a temp gauge but had a few questions since it actually came installed when I bought my van.

[​IMG]

Is it possible to replace the globe inside the meter? I tried to take it apart a few weeks ago but couldn't figure out how and didn't want to break it, just don't like the yellow glow now that I've got nice white lights in my speedo (little things I know, but I'm looking at it often haha)

And I traced the cable back down under the van and it just hangs loose all the way along and into the tank with a few little ties holding it up along the way, I was concerned it should be secured in a tidier way, how have you guys done it when you installed these yourself? Mostly worried about it getting damaged, since I travel frequently on dirt roads or getting burnt bumping against the tank at the rear end.

Attached Files:

2. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Sorry I cant add much in regards to the globe. I know it does come out but havnt tried taking it out before.
    I run my cable along the engine support bar and then across to the main loom then followed that. To me this looked like the best way to go to avoid heat. Also If you can, thread it through the pipe the loom sits in.

3. sacky

sacky Member

Q1 turn the bulb holder anti clock wise should pop out.
    Q2 what ever looks neat & tidy to your standard.

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

^ x 2.
    The globe in the VDO oil gauge is larger than the rest of those in the stock cluster....it'll always be brighter.

5. jeremybillett

jeremybillett Member

Great thanks I'll try and get the globe out again this weekend, was too scared to force it either direction in case I broke it, and not too worried about it being brighter, just hate the warm glow when I've just replaced the other globes to cool white.

Will try and follow your lead on the wiring Farky, thanks

6. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Paint the globe with white out. Should dull it a tad or take it into Auto barn or the equiv an see if they have lower wattage.

"Into the tank"??? What you are meanink? Must be going to temp sender, either dipstick type or engine mounted.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014