1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oils ain't oils!!!!

Discussion in 'Performance' started by auschook, Nov 11, 2012.

1. auschook

auschook Member

I have a 76 2 litre fuel injected kombi and was wondering what is the best type of oil to use in her??
    Cheers
    Jools

2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Brace yourself. Can of worms being opened.

Personally, I have been using valvoline classic, and am about to change to ACE 30 from the guys at Bachuus Marsh. An oil designed for older engines such as GTX (not the II or later) 20w50 or similar seems to be a consensus. The most important thing is a high zinc content because they are a flat tappet engine and the cam needs that to lubricate it. Penrite has just reduced the amount of zinc in their oils.

Adrian

3. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

X2 , Ace30 .

4. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

I was using castrol 20w50 but my mechanic tells me Ace (not sure type - I think 20w40?) is better suited so am putting that in at the next change.

5. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

x3 for ACE30

I have 70,000kms on my stroker with this oil and it is going very well.

6. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

x4 ACE30..........

7. robmich

robmich Active Member

x5 ACE 30......

8. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

ACE 40 for older or worn engines.

9. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

By the way Adrian, Kat and myself are booked to come down very early April on the "Spirit." Do you want me to bring some ACE 30 (or 40) with me??

10. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Well you could drop some off for me if u like...only 1km from ferry....only thing we will be on mainland for busstop :umm:

11. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

While you're waiting for the ferry to disembark, maybe you could take a run out to to Bacchus Marsh and grab a heap for yourself? You'll already be on the right side of Melbourne and it's only a 3/4 hour drive tops.

12. REB

REB Active Member

Where do ypu buy ace 30 from in sydney thanks rob

13. robmich

robmich Active Member

Hi Reb
    i get it from classic vee dub at rydalmere, he dosnt allways have it in stock so when he does i grab a couple of 5 ltr bottles to keep me going,i have also used one called morris 30 that i get from just kampers at auburn
    Rob

14. Penrite Hpr30. Handles the heat and always maintains good oil pressure.The only breakages I've ever had in my Engines are exhaust valves deciding to part ways with the valve head lol. When my bus was a daily driver it was doing 1100+km a week and it was getting driven pretty damn hard all the time. Some of you would cringe with fear at how hard this thing was driven and at speed as well lol

Bit older and more sympathetic on the machinery these days!!

15. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

I've switched back to Brad Penn 10-w30 after using Ace 30 for a year, I've noticed much faster warm up and lower running temps. Still , Ace 30 will suit standard spec engines perfectly. Remember , flat tappet engines need the correct Zinc content, be sure to check the specs before using oils.

16. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Have a few favourites,

Brad Penn grade 1 Green oil(20w-50)- mineral oil
    Joe Gibbs DT-50(15w-50)- Synthetic
    Mobil 1 V-Twin (20w-50)- Synthetic

I don't touch the others, as they have one, many or all of the following; no specs, insufficient/ poor viscosity specs, thermal instability, insufficient ZDDP, insufficient proving data since leaving the SAE "SJ" Spec.

17. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

The myth that your engine will leak more from synthetics is just that, a myth. It will, however, wash oil sludge deposits from badly worn seals, resulting in leaks but if your seals are bad, then there are no surprises for guessing what the rest of the motor will be like.

18. chenko

chenko Member

19. Marlyn

Marlyn Well-Known Member

Castrol EDGE 20/50 as mandated by warranty from Stan Pobjoy who built my motor is it any good ? dunno yet BUT it is bloody expensive so I hope so :)

peter drogi likes this.
  20. Pomboy64

Pomboy64 Active Member

Glad someone asked this :lol: