1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Bar Beach Festival 2019

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Debstar, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

You just beat me to it. Good to see that they have more camping available, just glad we reserve our spot each year at Lanis.

73kombi, Luckyphil, Syncro27 and 2 others like this.
  2. Maccas

Maccas Member

Doubt it's Council. I'd surmise per site ... $50/night x 3 nights to Lanis plus $5/night x 3 nights sublet fee to Council more likely.

David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Lani's is a Council run Campground managed by Caretakers.........always has been.
    Cheers,
    Mark

4. Surfing72

Surfing72 Well-Known Member

We had been attempting to secure a site at Lanis since the beginning of May. After numerous unanswered emails and phone calls I eventually made contact with a helpful lady who offered us a site on the air strip - mind you an unpowered site for $55 a night. What a joke! Im sure she explained that the money was going to Council not the park. Without any other options we reluctantly booked. Hope to see you all there. Ill be the fella drinking cheap Aldi beer and eating 2 minute noodles all weekend - Im broke LOL

5. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I don't even dare think about how much I pay for the cabin from Thursday to Tuesday!!! :cool::D:D:D

73kombi, David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

You got this years freight paid for with Scotts winnings last year:p.
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar and melissa like this.
  7. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I won't be paying that kind of money to camp.

Old bar will become more of a day trip show from here on out.

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Destined to be as you own a Kombi:p:D:cool:.
    Cheers

73kombi, Surfing72 and Mr Beckstar like this.
  9. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

You get front row seats for the fireworks on the airstrip, we were there last year, enjoyed it immensely and $55 for unpowered is very normal, even cheap for a beach side park these days i reckon. This year we got in, year 1, caravan park at manning pt, year 2, airstrip, year 3, in!! Seems to be a right of passage :)

73kombi, oldman, Luckyphil and 4 others like this.
  10. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20190806-210557_Photos.jpg
    Last year at the fireworks

oldman, OSF, Luckyphil and 5 others like this.
  11. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

If people don’t want to pay the big bucks at Lanis, There is another van park when you come off the hwy instead of turning right to Oldbar turn left towards Taree and it’s not far past the Servo. A bit cheaper and no minimum nights. Your only 10mins away rather than haveing to drive all the way home

Jethro and Mr Beckstar like this.
  12. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I feel that if you haven’t experienced staying at Lani’s and being right in amongst the Old Bar Beach Festival vibe, you’ll be concerned at the tariff.........once you experience OB, cost does not come into it......;)
    There are many that also pay a lot more and rent units, stay at resorts etc. that are close by........every year !
    Cheers,
    Mark

73kombi, melissa, Aspudis and 6 others like this.
  13. Maccas

Maccas Member

Old Bar is a terrific vibe VW Festival.
    In my experience, honestly, there's simply no shortage of vibe for ALL attendees, regardless whether or not one feels the pressing need to pay $150 to $165 to Lani's for three hot showers. Even harder pill to swallow for some is when forced to pay Lani's the same $'s but can only stay for one or two showers. As if that's not bad enough, adding insult to injury, also forced to book 12 months ahead at Lani's to secure again, same three hot showers, so having wallet raided in advance. Wow!
    Just how good is this booking scheme rort?

Most attendees learn soon enough about all this.
    I'm lead to believe some attendees sensibly choose instead more workable arrangements like:

Never book.
    Therefor, depending on for example the weather at the time, sickness, or present state of van roadworthiness etc, at any time are free to choose whether to go or not go.
    Locally freecamp for the duration.
    Soak up the Festival vibe to the fullest!

Probably an old-fashioned method for attending the Festival but heh I guess, if it still works for them .................

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  14. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

You only book because the demand for sites/cabins is so high you probably won't get a site if you don't book ahead. I don't think $55.00 is expensive for an unpowered site on a public holiday long weekend in school holidays... Try booking at nearly any other coastal caravan park and you will find similar pricing.

Oldman was unable to attend one year and what we did was he had already paid for the deposit on the way out the previous year, I paid the rest of what was owing on the site and paid the deposit for the following year - simple.

You probably wouldn't like what us young people pay to camp on site at music festivals like Splendour in the Grass or Falls Festival with significantly inferior facilities.

Mr Beckstar, oldman, David H and 6 others like this.
  15. jjdz

jjdz Active Member

If moneys so tight sell the Kombi why do people think its so expensive great people great weekend heaps of fun can not wait great relaxing weekend see you all there

Mr Beckstar, oldman, Grantus and 4 others like this.
  16. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

I’ve been every year for about the last 6 and never been able to stay.

We actually stayed in an overflow site last year for the first time inside Lanis that was so small and pushed hard against the fence line that we didn’t even have enough room to put out the awning. It was literally a ‘car space’ in size. Having said that, we had THE BEST weekend at Old Bar and couldn’t wait to get there again.

This year we have a proper unpowered site and are wrapped. Couldn’t care less about the cost. That’s just the cost of most coastal parks during peak times as others have said. It’s only one weekend of the year and worth every cent to be amongst the action and good vibes.

See you all there!

robmich, 73kombi, Mr Beckstar and 7 others like this.
  17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I do not care how much it costs - I have such a good time each year - this will be my 14th.
    Pretty simple - if you don't want to pay then don't come. The town is pretty dead for the rest of the year.

Mr Beckstar, oldman, Jethro and 6 others like this.
  18. Maccas

Maccas Member

Neither do I.
    I've re-read the posts, so help me out. Did someone here say it is expensive?

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  19. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure its right here...

Mr Beckstar and Grantus like this.
  20. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

As I don’t have a camper, what is the going fair rate per night, to park somewhere safely, with access to amenities? o_O

It’s not a Toyota Yaris weekend, and if you can afford the costs, to own and maintain a Kombi, you should surely be able to pay for the Lanis campsite charge. :rolleyes:

We camp under the stars, “5 stars”, and it costs way more than $55 per night.........:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.