1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Bar Beach Festival Cancelled for 2020

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by melissa, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Havnt been for a few years, hmmmm

Grantus and oldman like this.
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

C’mon Steve......go for it !
    It’d be great to catch up again......
    Cheers,
    Mark

Squidy likes this.
  3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Hey Steve.... you were possibly going to Berry, before the COVID Closedown helped you decide. :(

Time for an outing, and heaps closer than Berry. ;)

Squidy and oldman like this.
  4. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Definitely thinking about and would be great to catch up

Jethro and oldman like this.
  5. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Fully booked apparently

6. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Squidy,
    Someone will squeeze you on their site "double Up", we did it last year and more than likely it will the same again this year, Fizal was fine with it, as long as he is advised.

Steve

oldman likes this.
  7. Grantus

The social distancing rules in place in October, may play a part in whether “doubling up” will be allowed this year, or not.........

ruby6689, oldman and Surfing72 like this.
  8. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

I have my diary blocked out for work, I’m on a waiting list at Lanis. Happy to make a last minute decision. Will see what happens, with the way the year has been who knows what will happen ! Hopefully see you all down there

oldman likes this.
  9. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Old Bar news - after speaking with Festival organiser and Fizal - looking at getting maybe the Lions club or another charity based organisation to do a sausage sizzle or similar in the park at the front of the community hall on the Saturday - still having the kombi cruise on the Saturday afternoon - still having the park up on the Sunday - possibly on the airstrip and not around the football field and probably for not as long (maybe finish by lunch).

It was bought to my attention that there was talk on a facebook page about going ahead with the cruise and organising a T-shirt with money raised going to the surf club - THIS IS NOT SUPPORTED BY THE FESTIVAL ORGANISERS. The cruise needs to be signed off by the Police and the Festival organisers still want to put out a t-shirt for us. They also still want to put the fireworks on for the Saturday night.

David H, Wayne murray and oldman like this.
  10. oldman

sounds great Mel.:D
    I think there are more needy organisations than the surf club anyway.....
    The RFS would be my first choice......
    Cheers,
    Mark

Whitie, Jethro and melissa like this.
  11. melissa

My post from 7 and a half weeks ago above has caused distress - I only relayed my discussion with the organiser on that weekend - apparently since then things have changed and the t-shirts have been given the OK to go ahead and money raised to go to the surf club.
    Although I am not the organiser - I should have bought this up with the person posting on facebook and for that I apologise (not that anyone reads this forum anyway).
    We will still be going as we had always planned and as we have every year except for the first festival - to support the towns' businesses and community - wouldn't miss it for the world.

Jethro, milly, ruby6689 and 3 others like this.
  12. Grantus

As are we Mel.:)

Well, that’s today’s plans.......and hopefully next weeks as well. ;)

It’s all up to any further travel restrictions that may, or may not, come into force between now and then. o_O

I’ve got until 9 September to decide whether to register and put the bus back on the road, when the SC runs out of rego.

Syncro27 likes this.
  13. melissa

Exactly.

14. oldman

Wow.....I wonder how/why the surf club got the nod........o_O
    Given the work that the RFS do and the debacle surrounding the release of funding to them, I would have thought that they would have been the obvious choice.....
    We’re going and will be adopting the “empty esky” approach, as usual.....everything we will eat or drink will be bought in Old Bar . I would suggest that people should be supporting the local coffee shops too. Get up, go for a walk and support a local business .:cool:
    Can’t wait!
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Jethro, milly, ruby6689 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Grantus

The only reason I’d take an “esky”, is to bring home local produce we’ve bought along the way. ;)

16. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

If there is a park and display on the Sunday (assuming the nidovirales are not an issue) can someone post here on the Saturday to confirm? I only ever come up for the day and if it is on in some form I still might make it.

Syncro27, melissa and oldman like this.
  17. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Things are not looking good for our borders to open in time as COVID cases grow in QLD thanks to the selfish actions taken by three young 'ladies'. :mad:

I still have my fingers and toes crossed and will not cancel until the last minute if it becomes necessary.

oldman and Grantus like this.
  18. oldman

Just had a good laugh.....
    The Old Bar Beach Festival website has an announcement that,
    "We are deeply saddened to let you know that Old Bra Beach Festival will not be going ahead this October Long Weekend."
    Would love to think it's not a typo, rather someone with a great sense of humour in these crazy times......
    https://oldbarbeachfestival.com.au/
    We're still going ;)....but then, we're in NSW and that makes it a lot easier.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Grantus likes this.
  19. Grantus

Just be sure that if you are making your own face masks from old bra’s, only use the left cup........... you don’t want to look like a “right tit”! ;)

Hoping to see you all there. Heading north inland via Bathurst, the Wednesday prior, to reach the Pacific Hwy at Hexham.

On the way home, filling up at Heatherbrae, closing windows and holding breath for the non stop run back to the ACT. o_O

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020