1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other VW waves?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by btc-er, Oct 27, 2009.

1. btc-er

btc-er Member

I was wondering this afternoon... do Beetle drivers wave to each other? Or is it just a Kombi thing? :umm:

What about Type 3 drivers? Karmann Ghia drivers?

Our other car is a Mk IV Golf, and I can attest to the fact that Golf drivers don't wave to each other.

2. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

It is known as the kombi wave. However a lot of Kombi drivers have beetles and other VWs too so you may get a wave. I wave at beetles...it is very rare for them to wave back.

3. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

its for all VW's....bug, bus, etc
    any person driving a vw is worth waving too :)
    waving is more uncommon with the "newer modern" vw's

4. froger

froger Member

I wave to pretty much all the older vdubs be it beetles , busses or whatever .
    Monday morning was cranking down to Bris from the Sunny Coast goin to work and spotted an old blue bay ute movin up on me from afar , he got beside me and gave me a wave as he overtook me , and i'm in my T3 at the moment , so that was pretty cool for a Monday morning gettn a wave from a fellow Vdubein :) :)

5. If its got a VW badge I wave to it.

6. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

I always wave at beetle drivers...especially if she is hot !!!.......:p

7. 66 deluxe

66 deluxe New Member

I can attest to the fact that i too own Mk IV Golf and i do get odd wave back, albeit with a confused look on their face.

8. Simon123

Simon123 New Member

If it has a VW badge and is a T3 or older i will wave to them.

Don't always get one back, but it is defiantly worth it for the ones i do.

9. Radar15

Radar15 Active Member

I wave at everything (its not like I have to watch the road lol)

10. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

It might be called the Kombi wave but its definitely not limited to the Kombi.
    I wave to and receive waves from beetles,fastbacks,squarebacks,etc etc...
    Its all good.:)

11. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

I've pretty much only been waving to Kombis, but what I'm getting from all of this is maybe I should be extending that courtesy...

So from now on I think I shall be making a conscious effort to wave to all Types (see what I did there?) from the Volkswagen Family.

...except maybe anything from about 1990'ish onwards, 'cause they don't even seem to give you a second glance. (Which still means you're included, Grant. ;))

12. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I always wave at beetles, splits, bays and wedges, as well as other classic cars (eg Bedford drivers usually wave back). I've given up waving at other makes though, they just stare at me perplexed.

I once went out with a woman that was so impressed with the kombi wave she decided she would also wave at cars of the same make as her's - unfortunately, other Mazda 323 owners just ignored her. :rolleyes:

13. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

LOL Woz. My kids tried to start a LandCruiser wave when we'd be out and about in our "other" car. Needless to say, not many other LC owners waved back. We DID get some funny looks though. :lol:

14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I wave at most older VW's and some do occassionally get by and if they wave back kool and if not then nothing lost as suspect they were not expecting a wave :)

15. MISS VDUB

MISS VDUB New Member

I don't think it's just a VW thing, it's more a classic car thing. Most old classics will wave at each other as a sign of respect and appreciation. New cars haven't earnt that appreciation yet and look like every other crap box on the road. Seriously, you wouldn't see me driving around in my Hyundai Excel waving at other Excel drivers, and getting all excited because i'm in an Excel Convoy (thats an everyday occurance anyway).

16. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

There used to be a Landcruiser wave back in the early 1970's. You took one finger off the steering wheel to acknowledge another LC loony, but never to a Land Rover.:D
    This was before they became popular. In those days I knew the other 4 or 5 4WD owners in Balmain & latterly I couldn't even name the ones in my street.:lol:

17. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

When i was riding the Harley,we had the universal nod.
    When i drive the Kombi we have the Kombi wave....
    and the other ride is a Jeep,who also acknowledge each other with the Jeep wave,which oddly enough is very similar to the Kombi wave.:lol:

18. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

That's very true Steve. I think it's cute how all the bikers acknowledge each other. Reece has his nod down pat. They want to feel the love too!! :D

19. pvwg

pvwg Member

"It might be called the Kombi wave but its definitely not limited to the Kombi.
    I wave to and receive waves from beetles,fastbacks,squarebacks,etc etc...
    Its all good."
    Quote Bessie

I totally agree have a Kombi & Notchback you have to wave even some newies are waving in new beetles now

20. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

I tend to wave to everyone in a VW, but dont always get a response.:lol: