1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Otto's Orange Kombi

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by saabman, Oct 14, 2015.

1. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

...and please pass our best wishes to Narelle...meant to add that the first time :rolleyes:
    Lots of love to the three of you.....
    Mark'n'Sue

2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Wish you luck.. Would not get a guernsey in Vic..

3. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Youve got me worried now Al.

I really hadn't given it any real thought - that's just the way it's been for years.

The SAAB is going for a rego inspection next week I'll make some enquiries while I'm their.

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Depends on your mechanic for your RW slip and if you need to present at RTA.. Good luck.

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Of course, if was still rego'd in the ACT, and rego ran out less that 12 months ago - no inspection required...ever! :)

Unless you "modify" the vehicle, with a coat of paint in a different colour.........:(o_O:mad:

6. saabman

Yes grant NSW needs to catch up to the ACT system - the system here is somewhat retarded.

When the repairs were originally done it had to go over the pits at the Braddon registry they also were happy with the rock n roll bed that was in it they just advised me to fit slide bolts to lock the backrest in place.

NSW on the other hand wouldn't recognise the aftermarket seat that was installed by an authorised installer in the ACT without an engineers certificate.

7. saabman

Been busy getting rid of what was left of the paint on the front - the rust has got underneath and the paint was just flaking off.

Strip it disks were too slow and noisy so I hit it with a heat gun and a paint scraper - that made short work of all the topcoat. The under coat stripped off much easier than the colour.

No real surprises underneath it all a few rust repairs and a bit of bog but nothing significant.

[​IMG]

Looking to get a sandblaster to take care of the surface rust and the paint around the lights and gutters etc.

Syncro27 likes this.
  8. saabman

The worst rust I've found solar was in the window sill of middle driverside window.

[​IMG]

Nothing a bit of metal can't fix

Syncro27 likes this.
  9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Sounds like the top coat was not factory and was enamel?
    Would soften and clog the discs.

10. saabman

Exactly - It has had repair work done to the front- at least.

The bog in the picture is what was under the paint.

11. oldman

Looks in waaaay better condition than "Frank"....and will probably be completed by Otto's 21st......probably :rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

12. saabman

Incomparable Mark - hey Im hoping to be at Old Bar..... This year..... In it :)

ruby6689 likes this.
  13. oldman

Nice one Bernie.....unfortunately we won't make it this year......don't ask!:mad:
    Look forward to catching up withe your new family soon.
    Cheers,
    Mark

14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So it's not making it to the Nationals in 2 weeks time then? :(

Plenty of "all nighters" left before they start......:rolleyes:

15. saabman

it would take a few all nighters Grant....

16. saabman

Ive been working hard chomping rust out of the old girl and I snapped a few pics of the process I go through to replace a section of sill.

The offending section
    [​IMG]

cut out with an angle grinder, I drill out the spot welds and remove the section - I try to cut away way more than the rust appears

[​IMG]

measure up

[​IMG]
    Im using a side section I cut out of a Kombi I cut up a few years ago

[​IMG]

cut it out

[​IMG]

17. saabman

previously I had covered the rust with strips of Gal plate and riveted them on with a bit of sealant behind it - after 16 years it hadnt got any worse so I would say that is a good quick solution and was suitable for ACT rego but I have been led to believe mr NSW rego doesnt like it - bring on National rego laws.

[​IMG]

Grantus likes this.
  18. saabman

need to put a bend in it to line up with the flange on the bottom of the sill

[​IMG]

then make a curve to match the profile of the sill

[​IMG]

I use a lump of Railway track fashioned into an anvil, it has a curved section on on side just right for beating the metal into submission. I just hold the metal in place and carefully beatit with the hammer ove rthe cureved edge untill I get the desired shape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. saabman

clamp it into postion

[​IMG]

and weld it in

[​IMG]

I use a mig with gas (argo shield light) running about 14V tack it in to hold it in place. The weld around the join i carry out by perfoming a series of spots. probably about 1/2 a second welds. MAybe I am doing this wrong but this is what I find works for me - I start at one corner and work away from the corner angling the gun back towards the previous weld - the opposite direction you would go it you were welding say 6mm thick plate. strike the arc on the previous weld and move back slightly. after about 3 spots I find i need to stop for a few seconds and let the heat dissipate otherwise the metal gets too hot and will blow though.

hit it with a wire brush to clean it up and

[​IMG]

folow up with a grinder - with a flap disk to smooth it out

[​IMG]

Syncro27 and Grantus like this.
  20. saabman

The spots in the lower flange I do by drilling partially through the new metal crank the mig up to 19-20V and increase the wirespeed to match and weld straight into the hole. I also have a clamp on each side of the weld spot to hold it all nice and tight.

poGo and Grantus like this.